Bonamassa 50W ODS gut shot

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ijedouglas

Re: Bonamassa 50W ODS gut shot

Post by ijedouglas »

claptonaddict wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:46 pm Does anyone know what sort of transformers Dumble would typically use in his 50W ODS builds? Any idea what might be in this amp?
Most probably a Fender Bassman
Ian
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

talbany wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:53 pm
@talbany, the Nichicon Black Gate's are absolutely f*cking amazing as cathode bypass caps. Nothing I've tried comes close, even bypassing with mica, ceramic, mylar etc....sad they don't make them anymore.....
Yes Andy I remember you mentioning that a while ago about the Black Gates. Have been keeping an eye out but so far no luck on the correct values..Thanks for the reminder :D
but that's just stilly.
BTW.Couldn't agree more!
Tony
There are some new type Nichicon audio caps now that are good for cathode bypass. Michael Percy Audio sells/sold Black Gates, he may still have stock since they went out of production.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

ijedouglas wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:07 am
claptonaddict wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:46 pm Does anyone know what sort of transformers Dumble would typically use in his 50W ODS builds? Any idea what might be in this amp?
Most probably a Fender Bassman
Yes, usually Bassman Iron, sometimes Magic Parts outputs. A friend who visited his place, told me he had "mountains of old Fender chassis" from which he took carefully selected parts to build people's amps.
He was known to test bunches of the "same components" to find just the one he wanted...pots, transformers, caps etc.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Thanks Andy will check in with Michael.
Yes, usually Bassman Iron, sometimes Magic Parts outputs. A friend who visited his place, told me he had "mountains of old Fender chassis" from which he took carefully selected parts to build people's amps.
He was known to test bunches of the "same components" to find just the one he wanted...pots, transformers, caps etc.
confirm.
In speaking with Rick Derringer who also says the same thing, just piles of old amps, chassis, speakers, transformers, cabinets stacked all around his house.

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"