Components?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ElectronAvalanche

Re: Components?

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

Hi Scott,

the caps are: 0.01uF on the 1st OD plate and 0.005uF on the second.

Don´t ask me why, but the 502k cap (ETR PPN 502k, 630V) is physically larger than the 103k (ETR DME 103k, 630V).

I got those very nice sounding caps from a source in Canada for real cheap and they do sound great!

Source was: http://www.justradios.com/capkits.html

Cheers,

Dominik

And another board of mine:

ayan

Post by ayan »

dogears wrote:1) You did, just not the preamp section.....

2) ;) You da man......

3) How did that Excel sheet look that I sent??
1. Hmmm... fixed that.

2. I wish I could take any credit for any of it, but I "copied" like everyone else -- and I wasn't even the first one doing that.

3. It's still in my inbox at home, but it looks like you and CS have it all fixed up.

4. I'll try to give you a call on my way home this evening!

Cheers,

Gil
ayan

Post by ayan »

ElectronAvalanche wrote:Heya Gil,

nice amp!

Seems like the preamp board of one of my amps looks like a twin to your amp!

Cheers,

Dominik

'

Hey, Dominik, very cool! There is some kind of ressemblence there, no doubt. The interesting thing is that you and I pretty much ended up in the same place (choice of layout, parts, circuit, and even going back to the Deep Switch instead of the Mid) working independently on both sides of the Atlantic. :)

Gil
ElectronAvalanche

Hi Gil,

yes indeed:

amp tweakers minds think alike....

but I have to say that I learned a lot from you and some other people that shall remain unnamed for now!

You know I started out with the Dumble craze in 2000 or something and now 6 years later I am still fascinated. And I have gotten to know some nice people along the way......

Cheers,

Domink
ayan

Post by ayan »

ElectronAvalanche wrote:!

You know I started out with the Dumble craze in 2000 or something and now 6 years later I am still fascinated. And I have gotten to know some nice people along the way......

Cheers,

Domink
I had managed to stay away from all of it -- well, almost -- for a while, but a couple of things led me to fall off the wagon again this year. I can't say that I don't enjoy building the amps, but what I can't seem to be able to do is to think about much else while I'm in the process of building them, and that's not very healthy. Luckily, I have one more to go -- soon -- and that should be it for quite some time, maybe for good this time around (I can hear a couple of folks laughing already as they read this). ;)

Gil
ElectronAvalanche

Gil,

so true....

every time I finish an amp I promise myself that this will be the last one and then the bug bites me again.....

On the other hand:

thinking about why that darn Reverb has some hum is a nice distraction from the ups and downs of my day job.

Yet all those solder fumes and hours of silent remorse and cursing do take a toll :D

Hi y'all, my name is Dominik and I am an Amp-buildaholic
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

It's kind of comforting to read about how you guys feel about this. It's the same with me. I tend to think about Dumble amps night and day, forgetting about everything else. Wondering about schematcs, and never able to give it a rest :)

Tommy
Normster

Post by Normster »

Tdale wrote:the excel sheet looks great!

Maybe you didn't see my post above, but is the 12.6V transformer for the realy coils?

Any particular reason for using a Marshall PT, other than it's a nice transfomer :)..

ehh... I'm answering the wrong person I realise now.... sorry

Tommy
Yes, the 12V transformer is just to power the relays. I'm using a "stand-up" Marshall tranny on this build because I need the room inside the chassis. On previous builds I've used "lay-down" Fender trannys for PT and OT.

Adding to the current topic, amp building is very theraputic for me. My "day job" is software project management. Sometimes these projects go on for 18 months with no sense of accomplishment. It's nice to have a distraction that allows me to plan, execute, and enjoy the rewards in a relatively short period of time. That fact that I also like the tone of my Dumble clones is icing on the cake.
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Ok.. I think I'll have to go for a "outboard" transformer too if I'm going to get room for both the dumbleator and the 3-tube reverb circuit..

As for my day job, I'm a elemenary school teacher, and it's great to come home, sit down and work on an amp with peaceful and quiet surroundings, and actually getting a "solid" result..

Tommy
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Norm, i feel the same way.. i spend 10 hours a day fixing the publics computers.. and listening to grown men whine like babies.. i come home and relax in some solder fumes for awhile... im much calmer:)
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

I concur on several counts. I work in software also - and the need to work "in the physical world" is nice. (I'm also trying to learn to make electric guitars)

Further - as my wife will ask from time to time - "How many amps (or guitars) do you need?"

Just one more...
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

I make guitars too... Lots of fun.

http://forum.vintagegitar.no/index.php? ... 374&rid=89

Tommy
jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

I used to be in the government military IT Security and I just quit a month ago.

This amp building had been laid off since 2000!

I finally found time to cover some ground here. In fact the bangkok chassis has been in the store room for about since Dec.

I studied electronics engineering, so this is challenging. BTW, solder fumes are a good alternative to drugs - I get a high doing this!!!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

Has anyone come across TruCap ?

I can source good MPP's at very good prices here in the UK.

Ive seen on the hifi sites that some guys rate them pretty highly

Has anyone else use / heard of them ?
I'm gonna buy some to try - just wondered if theres any experience of them ?

cheers
Pete
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Has any of you heard about Beyschlag resistors? I think they are vintage carbon films.

Tommy