Draloric Resistors - Before and After - Video Demo

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ijedouglas

Re: Draloric Resistors - Before and After - Video Demo

Post by ijedouglas »

martin manning wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:39 pm If he can point to some references, I'm interested to read about it.
Will do
Ian
jcsifu

Post by jcsifu »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:18 pm
jcsifu wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:09 am
martin manning wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:16 am I recall reading another account where the observer was struck by HAD's meticulous checking of the resistance of his solder connections.
This has come up a few times, can someone explain how one could measure a solder connection? I never understood this one nor have I read it in any past manuals as needing to be performed. It's not in the NASA guide that I grew up with.
Basically you try to do a continuity test (which also shows the ohms resistance) from something that is outside the soldered joint, and something on the other end of the soldered connection. Example, say you have a board with a capacitor in an eyelet or turret, that then has a wire going off to a Potentiometer. I'd put my multimeter lead on the leg of the capacitor that goes into the eyelet/turret. You then put the other lead on the bare wire before it goes into the Potentiometer's lug. This gives you the overall resistance of the wire, solder joint and the lead of the capacitor. Then you can move the second lead from the bare wire near the lug to the lug itself past the solder joint. This means you're getting the metal to metal connections and seeing if there's too much resistance in the solder joints. If suddenly one of those reading is more than an ohm or so, the joint is likely problematic.

~Phil
Thanks for the reply and great explanation Phil. I don't know if I would take the time to check every joint I make (I'm prob too lazy) but this seems like a good trouble shooting idea. I enjoy watching your videos, they remind me of hanging out with my buddy in my shop working on stuff.
Last edited by jcsifu on Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcsifu

Post by jcsifu »

martin manning wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:36 pm
martin manning wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:16 am I recall reading another account where the observer was struck by HAD's meticulous checking of the resistance of his solder connections.
This has come up a few times, can someone explain how one could measure a solder connection? I never understood this one nor have I read it in any past manuals as needing to be performed. It's not in the NASA guide that I grew up with.
You can do as Phil described above, but there is also a measurement technique where a known current is passed through the connection and the voltage drop is measured.
Thanks for the reply Martin. I'm glad to have two ideas to try out.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

jcsifu wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:55 am
martin manning wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:36 pm...there is also a measurement technique where a known current is passed through the connection and the voltage drop is measured.
Thanks for the reply Martin. I'm glad to have two ideas to try out.
AKA 4-wire or Kelvin resistance measurement: https://assets.testequity.com/te1/Docum ... ements.pdf
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

jcsifu wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:52 am
pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:18 pm

Basically you try to do a continuity test (which also shows the ohms resistance) from something that is outside the soldered joint, and something on the other end of the soldered connection. Example, say you have a board with a capacitor in an eyelet or turret, that then has a wire going off to a Potentiometer. I'd put my multimeter lead on the leg of the capacitor that goes into the eyelet/turret. You then put the other lead on the bare wire before it goes into the Potentiometer's lug. This gives you the overall resistance of the wire, solder joint and the lead of the capacitor. Then you can move the second lead from the bare wire near the lug to the lug itself past the solder joint. This means you're getting the metal to metal connections and seeing if there's too much resistance in the solder joints. If suddenly one of those reading is more than an ohm or so, the joint is likely problematic.

~Phil
Thanks for the reply and great explanation Phil. I don't know if I would take the time to check every joint I make (I'm prob too lazy) but this seems like a good trouble shooting idea. I enjoy watching your videos, they remind me of hanging out with my buddy in my shop working on stuff.
Thanks!

I've actually stopped making them, due to how YouTube's new policies that penalize smaller channels. I was finally starting to see extremely small revenue to help cover the cost of the time and materials I was putting into the channel, and they demonetized me because I was in their easy blanket category of most of the spammer channels. This led real channels to lose and the spammer channels to up their game so they could still get profit... Well done YouTube! It just started becoming so expensive on my personal time for 0 benefit... I still promise I'll finish the demo of the Dumble Modded Bassman one day, and I have another project with forum donated materials I still need to do, eventually :D I am going to build a 102 on the circuit boards by that italian member? I can't remember the exact details because were in the middle of a move so all my stuff is packed up :D. Then I'll make a series on building that one as well. I also got all the components for a 102 donated that were NOS materials that Dumble would use by another forum member, so It's becoming a group project :D I find it exciting to see how nos components sound on a well designed PCB :D

My second dumble build on PCB as well.

Gotta stop procrastinating.

</end thread hijack>
tUber Nerd!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Rockin. I prefer the dirt texture. It grinned before; now I see the slightest bit of tooth.. not gritter, just slightly forward.

Very subjective difference and am I sure it was worth it? Yeah. I think it proves itself when it's moving some air.. I think there is more definition.

FUN VID! And fun vids!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Hi all, the Draloric resistor sets are back in stock: I was out of 820r, but restocked.
For details see: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 00#p441200

Please hit me up at jelle@welagen.com in case you are interested.