2nd Gen hybrid

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Re: 2nd Gen hybrid

Post by erwin_ve »

jazzbass wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:47 pm
erwin_ve wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 pm Having this amp over a year now, it's a blast to play it in a live setting. Right now a 335 guitar is my favourite with the 2nd gen hybrid.
Hi erwin_ve,

I am extremely curious and am considering building this project. I built a 50W JM and it is one of my favorite amp for clean tone, probably the best I've played or built. :D
I feel the lack of serious OD and I could add a good pedal to the front but I would also like to build an amp that has the JM cleans and OD of the early Dumble, when his designs were still Fender children.
Do you think this 2nd gen hybrid is what I'm looking for ?.
Unfortunately YouTube has deleted your demo which I would have liked to hear.
Thanks for your help.

Franco
Hi Franco,

The clean (pedal) platform like a SSS or a JM with verb have qualities you will miss in a 2nd gen hybrid.

The 2nd gen hybrid has a Fendery type of clean and do a strat and LP like guitars justice.
The settings for the tonestack are well balanced between clean and overdrive. Imo better than a skyliner tonestack ymmv.
The Overdrive is one of my favourite and I'm looking forward to gig this amp after a year of lockdowns. Sometimes I take this amp to my guitarskool which has a concert hall and play this amp loud, it is addicting especially the overdrive tone. Omg I miss this so much :cry:
Ok let's not be sentimental, you need this amp!

Btw in the 3rd page of this thread there's a sound cloud clip.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

2nd gen hybrid cleans are not JM type cleans. You can tell by just looking at the schematic (but I also have it build) :)
The overdrive is great though, so some sort of creative merging with a bit of compromise can get you closer. On another note, you can just use the JM for cleans and the ODS for overdrive. Best of both worlds.
Niki

EDIT: just saw Erwin posted - but why not reiterate :)
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi erwin_ve, hi Synchu,

Thanks for your answers, and I repeat that I am very intrigued by the construction of this amplifier. Erwin_ve unfortunately you tube has canceled your demo and I would love to listen to it. Do you by any chance have a copy to re-insert in Amp Garage?
P.S. I really like the sound of the Amplified Nation Wonderland OD, does it sound like the 2nd Gen Hybrid?
P.S. of the P.S. here is a photo of my latest build, # 183.

Franco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
franco mezzalira
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

I would guess a Wonderland Overdrive is a "Lowplate Classic" ODS style amp but with added 2 tube reverb. Search the forum (with google search) I think Taylor may have posted gut shots early on when he started making the Wonderland OD.

-Dan
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

jazzbass, that looks great! Well done.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:53 pm jazzbass, that looks great! Well done.

~Phil
Thank you Phil :D

from an aesthetic point of view I must admit that I am good, I would have some doubts about my ability as an enthusiast / builder :lol:

Franco
Last edited by jazzbass on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franco mezzalira
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

jazzbass wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:26 pm Hi erwin_ve, hi Synchu,

Thanks for your answers, and I repeat that I am very intrigued by the construction of this amplifier. Erwin_ve unfortunately you tube has canceled your demo and I would love to listen to it. Do you by any chance have a copy to re-insert in Amp Garage?
P.S. I really like the sound of the Amplified Nation Wonderland OD, does it sound like the 2nd Gen Hybrid?
P.S. of the P.S. here is a photo of my latest build, # 183.

Franco
Did you listen to the soundcloud audio posted on page3?
I have a copy of that youtube...somewhere, dont have time to go through backups right now.
Im not familiar with the wonderland overdrive. Taylor does make great stuff tho...
Nice #183 build!
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi erwin_ve,

Sorry .... I missed the link :( , it sounds really good. The sounds I like most are the OD ones, they are splendid. I was less impressed with the cleans which, for my taste, are too "precise" if I'm not mistaken you used a 335.

I don't know if I'm writing a nonsense but maybe a traditional power supply instead of the Precision Supply would have made the clean sound less "dry" but probably at the expense of the OD sound you wanted to get .... did I write nonsense?

You are right when you write that the JM clean is unique and I add it is multidimensional.

For my taste the ideal amp is a JM with the OD of # 102 and if there is room left I would add reverb.

I listened to the demo of the Overdrive Reverb 2nd gen made by TomoFujitaMusic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHrU9RZ8ud0.
The demo is very exhaustive and I like it a lot, is it possible to find the layout and/or schematic of this amp on Amp Garage?

Thanks for your patience

Franco
franco mezzalira
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Franco,

That soundclip was done with a strat. Bridge humbucker pickup was used for overdrive solo.

Traditional vs precision power supply is not that different in sound, it's more affecting the feel. Precision ps is a bit faster IMO.

That demo of a od reverb is what makes a Dumble worth 100k+, amazing sustain. It's easy to go in the rabbit hole finding that particular model. But to be honest I dont think anyone is willing to both have the knowledge and share what makes the amp sustain like that. And its certainly not the only Ods doing that.

My advise would be to get accustomed to your amps. One thing that gets you closer to a #102 voicing is the presence cap: it's a 1uF, make this a 2,2uF and see if you like that on your #183.

Erwin
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

erwin_ve wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:02 pm Franco,

That soundclip was done with a strat. Bridge humbucker pickup was used for overdrive solo.

Traditional vs precision power supply is not that different in sound, it's more affecting the feel. Precision ps is a bit faster IMO.

That demo of a od reverb is what makes a Dumble worth 100k+, amazing sustain. It's easy to go in the rabbit hole finding that particular model. But to be honest I dont think anyone is willing to both have the knowledge and share what makes the amp sustain like that. And its certainly not the only Ods doing that.

My advise would be to get accustomed to your amps. One thing that gets you closer to a #102 voicing is the presence cap: it's a 1uF, make this a 2,2uF and see if you like that on your #183.

Erwin
Hi erwin_ve,

From what I read on Amp Garage your reasoning is correct and it seems that the traditional power supply makes the sound less "dry" and this is an advantage for those who, like me, have bat ears.

I also have read on AG a discussion on the feed back obtainable on Dumble projects, I don't remember who or where I read it, I also saved it but I don't remember where. With a little patience and time I will find it and insert it in the discussion.

Thanks for the tip (presence cap: it's a 1uF, make this a 2,2uF), I'll try to replace that tantalum capacitor but I don't have it in the house, I have to order it.

Thanks again

Franco
franco mezzalira
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Well for the bat ears: my amp has a standard power supply! Look at the build pictures.
I've build several 2nd gen hybrid with both standard and precision power supply, I honestly dont have a preference as I do have for caps, resistors, transformers, pots.
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

erwin_ve wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:15 pm Well for the bat ears: my amp has a standard power supply! Look at the build pictures.
I've build several 2nd gen hybrid with both standard and precision power supply, I honestly dont have a preference as I do have for caps, resistors, transformers, pots.
Hi erwin-ve,

oopsss ... evidently my bat ears have left me. :shock:

Franco
franco mezzalira
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

jazzbass wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:01 pm
erwin_ve wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:15 pm Well for the bat ears: my amp has a standard power supply! Look at the build pictures.
Hi erwin-ve,

oopsss ... evidently my bat ears have left me. :shock:

Franco
Franco, yeah it's difficult to judge when not having first hand experience. That intro fe isn't a clean channel, it's the overdrive channel with the volume backed down a tad. Check the description in that post. It will give you a precise description how I used the amp icw the strat.

Erwin
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi erwin_ve

i just finished the JM / Wonderland i built for a guitarist friend (who trusted me :lol: ), and now i'm about to put my hand to your 2nd Gen Hybrid ....

I ask if I can use the boards and chassis you sent me "Chassis 4holer and board set Overdrive Special" for that project while keeping the Dumblator on board.?
I am grateful if you tell me what changes you think I should make to the cards or if I need new tabs.

Thanks, un abbraccio

Franco
franco mezzalira
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi erwin_ve

new adventure, I started your 2nd Generation Hybrid, it should be a bomb.

a hug

Franco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
franco mezzalira