Dumbleland Special Schematic

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

Re: Dumbleland Special Schematic

Post by talbany »

Max wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:24 am Wouldn't it be possible just by trial and error to see if someone likes the sound and feel of an UL-OT equipped amp better when its UL-taps are used or when they are not used and/or when the amp in question is equipped with an UL-OT or when it is equipped with a standard OT without UL-Taps?

All the best,

Max
Max
Why are you asking questions you already know the answer too? of course you can if you don't mind running the risk of frying your screens..What are you saying you removed the taps from a Dumbleland? :shock:
Max screen voltage GE.6550 400 Volts
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/6/6550.pdf

Still waiting on those pictures :D
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Max

Post by Max »

I asked, because I assumed that it might be possible to design a tube output stage in such a way that it is not damaged if the UL-taps of the UL output transformer that is part of such a design are not connected to the output tubes but remain unused. If this assumption (design possible that isn't damaged without connected UL-taps) was wrong due to my almost complete technical ignorance in the field of tube technology, I apologize.

So:
If such a design that isn't damaged without connected UL-taps is impossible - and this is how I understand talbany's last post - then IMO one would no longer have to wait for any pictures of the OT-wiring in DL#009 as at least I have never experienced or heard up to now that in any Dumbleland 150W with an OT as shown in the pictures of ## 009 the power amp tubes constantly blow up. So – at least if talbany's technical arguments are correct – it would be completely impossible (at least according to my personal understanding) that the output stage of DL# 009 is one in which the UL-taps of its OT remain unused.

Kind regards,

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

Max wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:50 am I asked, because I assumed that it might be possible to design a tube output stage in such a way that it is not damaged if the UL-taps of the UL output transformer that is part of such a design are not connected to the output tubes but remain unused. If this assumption (design possible that isn't damaged without connected UL-taps) was wrong due to my almost complete technical ignorance in the field of tube technology, I apologize.

So:
If such a design that isn't damaged without connected UL-taps is impossible - and this is how I understand talbany's last post - then IMO one would no longer have to wait for any pictures of the OT-wiring in DL#009 as at least I have never experienced or heard up to now that in any Dumbleland 150W with an OT as shown in the pictures of ## 009 the power amp tubes constantly blow up. So – at least if talbany's technical arguments are correct – it would be completely impossible (at least according to my personal understanding) that the output stage of DL# 009 is one in which the UL-taps of its OT remain unused.

Kind regards,

Max
I know you have pictures...Still waiting ...:roll:
Max

Post by Max »

Please understand that I do not feel obliged to deny or even refute any fantasy that is spread on the Internet about my private affairs (e.g. the fantasy that I had pictures of DL # 009 on which the wiring of the output transformer is visible).

And even if I had such pictures, I would by no means feel obliged to present these in the internet to the general public, including all commercial manufacturers of Dumble-style gear. And with some private communications with such a kind of content, I sometimes have had some rather unpleasant experiences in terms of confidentiality.

And in addition I am not aware of any rule for this forum that would oblige me to present my private pictures - and/or pictures and documents that IMO are protected by a third party copyright - publicly on the Internet.

Of course, I can understand to a certain extent that you - and maybe others here too - may not like this attitude. However, I ask you to at least respect this attitude as my personal free will, even if you should be displeased.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

And even if I had such pictures, I would by no means feel obliged to present these in the internet to the general public, including all commercial manufacturers of Dumble-style gear. And with some private communications with such a kind of content, I sometimes have had some rather unpleasant experiences in terms of confidentiality.
Max
I already knew you were not going to produce any evidence (my point with the bet) or any other specific "confidential" information about certain Dumble amps you might have owned or are particularly fond of? by some kind of confidentiality agreement you might have with a client or for financial reasons?..Especially those here who might be "commercial manufacturers of Dumble-style gear"..This IMO would be a kind of conflict of interest here don't you think? (It's what we do)..If you wish to not share this evidence or help clarify this is obviously your right to do so. However you choose to cast doubt then refuse to clarify with any evidence, in some cases criticize and discourage others here who are obviously attempting to reverse engineer or post schematics of amps you seem to have intimate knowledge of, IMO calls into question your motives..(We have had others here over the years do the same thing)..I sincerely hope this is not the case with you and if I am wrong apologize in advance.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 78#p220178
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 27#p171727
I am of course aware that free speech is a valuable asset protected by the constitutions of many states, even and especially when the content of free speech does not correspond to the facts.
I live in Virginia and here we can still speak freely!
BTW..You might be able to play the "I don't know circuits" card with most new members here but not me.. I've been around here far to long and know you too well and have (over the years) read virtually every post you have ever written @ Dumble Discussion and can say without hesitation that nobody knows (or can find out) Dumble's amp circuits better than you :wink:
Tony
Last edited by talbany on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max

Post by Max »

For complaints about the way I participated and my motives etc. a click on the exclamation mark is provided, which you can find in the top right corner of every post here.

If you instead continue to present your complaints within the discussions on completely different topics, and I continue to answer within these discussions, then these discussions may IMO become increasingly illegible for those interested in the topic (here for example "Dumbleland Special Schematic").

So please do not understand it as a deliberate impoliteness that I will no longer respond here to complaints about the way I participate that are not presented to the management of this forum, but here within the discussions on actually completely different topics.

Best regards,

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

For complaints about the way I participated and my motives a click on the exclamation mark is provided, which you can find in the top right corner of every post here.
I tried to PM you a while back and and discuss this privately you did not respond! So I was forced to do it here which I prefer not to.
If you instead continue to present your complaints within the discussions on completely different topics, and I continue to answer within these discussions, then these discussions may IMO become increasingly illegible for those interested in the topic (here for example "Dumbleland Special Schematic").
I disagree. You are publicially putting into question Aaron and myself's research that went into this schematic/topic. So I reserve the right to publicially question your motives for doing so. I do however understand your desire to get off this topic
So please do not understand it as a deliberate impoliteness that I will no longer respond here to complaints about the way I participate that are not presented to the management of this forum, but here within the discussions on actually completely different topics.
Nothing against Phil.I love Phil! But the management doesn't know you like I do.

BTW..I do hope that you will be able to share more of your wisdom in the future with respect to the inner workings of these amps and encourage and not publicly criticize others who are simply searching for the truth and wanting to build these great amps, since it might not be their fault that they cannot afford 75K for a Dumble amplifier.Those people not the commercial builders :wink:

With all due respect!

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max

Post by Max »

Corresponding "Dumble Files" thread: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34403

Best regards,

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

Great Max I appreciate the clarification on the FET.
Tony

BTW...A long time ago you wrote this.Which lead to the confusion on production dates.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 205#p66205
SSS, they evolved into a own family (100 watt, 120 watt, 150 Watt) and the SSS 150 watt replaced the 150 Watt version of the Dumbleland Special for Guitar, when around 1980 the production of the 150W version of Dumblelands was finished (Blackface 300SLs have still been produced for some time after the 150Watt was stopped, some for guitar (preamp very similar to SSS) and some for bass.
Max

Post by Max »

Guilty: Many years ago I wrote something wrong (sorry for any confusion), which corresponded to the contents of my memories at the time. And I've certainly written more nonsense here over the years. That's how learning works.

Best regards,

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

Max wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:48 pm Guilty: Many years ago I wrote something wrong (sorry for any confusion), which corresponded to the contents of my memories at the time. And I've certainly written more nonsense here over the years. That's how learning works.

Best regards,

Max
No Problem guilty as well.

BTW..As I am sure we will eventually need to update the Schematic over the years..Like you say this is how learning works :wink:
Here is the schematic of what we believe to be Dumbleland Special 150w collected from the Amp Garage
Tony
talbany

Post by talbany »

Dumbleland schematic files section updated

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 69#p426669

Tony
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Shouldn't there be a coupling cap before the trimmer? I can trace B+ from the previous plate to that trimmer, on to the LOW switch (and on the HI switch if the caps are not properly rated), and through the 820k to the next grid. Am I missing something?
talbany

Post by talbany »

Krinkle wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:44 pm Shouldn't there be a coupling cap before the trimmer? I can trace B+ from the previous plate to that trimmer, on to the LOW switch (and on the HI switch if the caps are not properly rated), and through the 820k to the next grid. Am I missing something?
Like the description says in the beginning of the thread I posted https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 33#p426833
Filter values were taken from SSS# 002 from this hand drawn schematic https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17827, #002 also used a Triad SP-118 inductor to feed the filters. This is considered optional Read here: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... r&start=15
The filters in 002 have been known to cause complaints by several builders that has used the same values. Because of these complaints a different filter array was developed better suited for the frequency range for guitar, by member Martin Manning..Thank you MM
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 57#p378857
(replacing the 100k resistor with an adjustable trimmer)
Will try to get some updates done to this schematic ASAP.

Tony