Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Re: Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Post by Mark »

KWS does say he gets more wattage, the GZ34 would account for that. however with the extra voltage and 250 ohm cathode bias resistors setting the bias, the output stage would nearly be on fire.

I'm inclined to think, I'd play biasing the output stage by ear, which is to say start with a colder bias and evaluate the benefits of a hotter bias.

Did I say I'm still quite curious about HAD and Fender Champ clones. :lol:
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
rp

Post by rp »

Mark wrote:Did I say I'm still quite curious about HAD and Fender Champ clones. :lol:
Not me, the more you mess with a Champ the worse you make it. But I'm no E-Wizz.

Now waiting for first Tweedle-D DIY to report back. Hurry up guys. Is there going to be a run on Celestion Rocket 50s? :lol:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

rp wrote:Now waiting for first Tweedle-D DIY to report back. Hurry up guys. Is there going to be a run on Celestion Rocket 50s? :lol:
Just ordered some parts today for mine :D
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Aaron wrote:Just ordered some parts today for mine :D
Aaron are you using a 5E3 or 5C3 chassis?

Thanks Charlie, very cool.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

rp wrote:
Mark wrote:Did I say I'm still quite curious about HAD and Fender Champ clones. :lol:
Not me, the more you mess with a Champ the worse you make it. But I'm no E-Wizz.

Now waiting for first Tweedle-D DIY to report back. Hurry up guys. Is there going to be a run on Celestion Rocket 50s? :lol:
Have all parts I just need to start drilling holes in the blank chassis and punching the eyelet board. Although im thinking of just taking chassis over to the machine shop and have them laser cut them.

TM
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Check this baby out 4/59 Deluxe OPT NOS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Hi plexi would you mind to measure that thing dimensionally
.I have two ot's with almost identical codes that look very similar to yours.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

cbass wrote:Hi plexi would you mind to measure that thing dimensionally
.I have two ot's with almost identical codes that look very similar to yours.
Here's MCI's supposely dead nuts clone of the earlier pre 59' self leaded version, which was the Triad 108.

http://www.classictone.net/40-18022.pdf

TM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

cbass, 2 3/4" center mounting holes

2 3/8" long 2" high 1 1/16" wide

This one has 4/8 ohm taps.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello,
I watched the Kenny Wayne Sheppard video and I bet his amp is very similar to the circuit we are exploring here. As I stated before the amp runs pretty hot. I looked at my notes and I think it was running at about 17 watts per power tube (use JJs!). I was not concerned with output wattage, so my solution, rather than bias it cooler ( I don't like the sound of tweed deluxe with a cathode resistor higher than 250 ohms) was to drop the voltages to the power tubes( zener diodes and 5Y3) and then play with the dropping string to get the clarity back the phase invertor and preamp(I built a replica). I like the sound of tweed deluxes with 350v on the plates of the power tubes. I know this kind of defeats the idea of what Dumble was trying to do but it still made for a nice sounding amp. As far as the tweed champ goes, all Dumble does is remove all the components off the board and replace with the same stuff he uses for the tweed deluxe(stock values). The only changes are increased filtering(22uf each cap) and increase the value of the NFB resistor(I think 270k instead of 22k). He keeps the original board, wire, and speaker. Lastly, I know the remark about the Ceriatone kit was kind of a joke, but it kind of made my blood boil. I am sharing my stuff with you guys and will continue to do so because I have learned a great deal and had a lot of fun checking out what you guys have shared. I have found that you guys are a very generous and helpful group of Dumble enthusiasts. It would really be a drag if some Asian manufacturer decides to profit on these ideas and not give anything back. I know I have no control of this but it is not cool. Don't make me put on my Rambo outfit and take a trip to Asia. :twisted:
Last edited by Charlie Wilson on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie
Did you by chance happen to measure the voltage across the cathode resistor when you had the amp?
BTW..Ceriatone is a topic of great debate here and know where you are coming from as he offered a few amps (183 and 102) after I posted layouts and other info shared here..NOT COOL!!..I know many others here who refuse to share info for the reasons you mentioned..It's just the way it is and I for one am still glad I posted the layouts and didn't let 1 bad apple spoil it for the rest of us!!..Again Thanks for sharing the amp!!

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah Tony, I think I did. I don't have my notes with me but when I get home I'll see what I got and post it.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote:Yeah Tony, I think I did. I don't have my notes with me but when I get home I'll see what I got and post it.
Charlie..Thanks..Maybe we can get a confirmation on the watts (17 would be about where I would put it too)..BTW.. Reread my post please!!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
cbass

Post by cbass »

67plexi wrote:cbass, 2 3/4" center mounting holes

2 3/8" long 2" high 1 1/16" wide

This one has 4/8 ohm taps.
Thank you,I have two of the exact same transformers. I thought the tweed deluxe had 125A1A on them
andyhardy

Post by andyhardy »

I apologize for the c-tone joke it was meant more as i hope this doesnt show up there.
I too am so glad to see something new shared here and really appreciate that you took the time to post it.

Thanks Again
Bob