Starting a D'Lite

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dreric

Starting a D'Lite

Post by dreric »

I am starting a d'lite from a chassis I got from RJ. The chassis is great and the workmanship very nice. Thanks Rj. I have a couple of simple questions:

1. Does ayone have the 5v relay and relay mount part numbers handy? I keep finding "obsolete" parts at mouser.

2. Is there a consensous of the type of shieled wire/cable best to a build. I've got about 5 types of shielded wire and coax and other than low capacitance what am I looking for? Just measure the capacitance?

I'm confused, I was even looking at my roll of george L cable and thinking "why not"?

Thanks

Eric
Structo

Re: Starting a D'Lite

Post by Structo »

Here are the relays I used. They work very well and I don't have any latching problems with them.
They are the high sensitivity ones.

Mouser #

653-G5V-2-H1-DC5

This is the socket for the relay, works really well.
575-199316

And of course you will need a diode for each relay you use.

621-1N4007

I have an 8v regulated supply for my relays, never had a problem with it.

As for the coax, I like the Teflon stuff because the center wire insulation doesn't melt if you get the wire too hot.
I buy all my wire at Apex Jr.
He has a lot of great Teflon hook up wire as well.

George L will work but it isn't the greatest cable and it will melt if you get it too hot.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Tom your stressing your relays by using a 8V supply. Why would you regulate your supply to 8V to feed a relay rated for 5V? I would change your regulator to a LM7805.

Most modern relays can take the extra voltage but it isn't doing them any good.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Well this was a sort of kit I bought from a member.
He designed the power supply and the relays and regulator was what he spec'd for it.

Not positive but I think what he was intending was so the use of three relays would not stress the regulator if all relays were on.

I really haven't measured what the actual voltage is, I just know that I have been using this setup for a couple years with no issues.

I think that maybe the designer felt that since this power supply runs off of the 5v winding on the PT, he felt it was better to have the voltage a bit higher so the regulator would work better.
Not sure if the PS has a voltage doubler or what but if you regulate a supply don't you have to have an over voltage source for it to work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

heisthl

Post by heisthl »

IMHO which is not shared by everyone on this forum is to not go overboard on expensive shielded cable. The cheap stuff has more losses and actually can improve the tone of the OD - I know, I know - you can always use a 10pF to ground but my experience has been to just use a "run of the mill" type cable for the best results.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

I was wondering why shielded cable with a low pF is recommended. I think it was Dogears that recommended longer cable runs to the d-lator to smooth out the tone a bit. Wouldn't shielded cable with a bit higher capacitance accomplish the same thing?
"The blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits." - Willie Dixon
Structo

Post by Structo »

That's good to keep in mind.
Right now all I have is the Teflon stuff I got from Apex Jr.
Not sure what the pf is but I imagine it is low.
But I have a couple cheaper guitar cords that I run in my existing loop so they ought to be crappy enough to add some filtering. :D
Tom

jelle

Post by jelle »

Structo wrote:That's good to keep in mind.
Right now all I have is the Teflon stuff I got from Apex Jr.
Not sure what the pf is but I imagine it is low.
But I have a couple cheaper guitar cords that I run in my existing loop so they ought to be crappy enough to add some filtering. :D
I bought some of that stuff a while ago. The teflon Apex blue black stripe is 60 pF/ft and the black stripe is 50pF/ft.

Jelle
Structo

Post by Structo »

Really? That high?
The stuff I have seems to be 18ga, he said he was out of the smaller.

Mine has an orange and violet stripe.

If it is indeed 50 or 60pf then it should work real well in a Dumbleator. :wink:
Tom

jelle

Post by jelle »

This is the smaller variety that is also found in the D'lite kits.
dreric

Post by dreric »

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. However, now I'm more confused. Gary of Glasworks has a page where he writes about making one of his early clones. Here he noted a big difference in the amp my changing from a cable that had high capacitance to a belden with low, major change in the amp.

http://www.glaswerks.com/cloneproject/c ... as%20Board

Based on this I was thinking that low capacitance was a good thing now I'm reading:

1. Don't worry about it, cheap is good
2. Some capacitance is good especially in a dumblator

So I'm inclined to think that it's not a big deal unless you melt the insulation. Or perhaps it's one of those closely guarded mysterious tone secrets of a once public but now proprietary nature, opps........... sorry, Ive been reading too many conspiracy theory books lately

Eric

On a personal note I wanted to thank structo / Tom for being on top of the posting and consistently winning the "what's the part number?" competition. Much thanks.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

It's easy to get caught up on this stuff when building a D amp. Everyone has a different opinion when building these amps.

Frankly I think co-ax talk is crap and just mojo talk. Build the amp using similar materials to Mr. D that are good quality. See how it sounds and tweak to your needs
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

ChrisM wrote:It's easy to get caught up on this stuff when building a D amp. Everyone has a different opinion when building these amps.

Frankly I think co-ax talk is crap and just mojo talk. Build the amp using similar materials to Mr. D that are good quality. See how it sounds and tweak to your needs
+1
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
talbany

Post by talbany »

If you take a look at any footage or for me had the giant ceiling covered picture of Hendrix playing Woodstock (Cool Poster).. Ever notice the cable he used.. That giant coil like on your telephone handset in the 70's... :lol:
If you took that cable and stretched it out he could probably run back and forth on the stage 3 times...Those things for capacitance were the worst...I remember reading in one of his interviews that what went with him aside from his guitars were a suitcase with a few Dallas Fuzz Faces a Wah RM Octavia and that big ass cable with the built in treble bleeder... Stevie was the same way.Cesar go to Radio Shack and pick me out the cheapest cord on sale.. .So I doubt 8' of cheap Beldon will keep anyone up nights..

Tony
dreric

Post by dreric »

Thanks for the refreshing perspectives, I'll use what I have and see what happens.

Eric