Another speaker thread - 10'' speakers anybody?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Darkbluemurder

Another speaker thread - 10'' speakers anybody?

Post by Darkbluemurder »

It seems that everybody uses 12'' speakers. Does anybody use 10''s?

Background to this question: I have a late BF Bandmaster which I converted to HRM. It sits in a custom cabinet with 3x10'' Webers (2 Alnicos and 1 Ceramic). I always thought that the amp didn't sound right until I plugged it into my 1x12'' cab with the Jensen Neo. This combination sounds great - none of the buzzy fizziness of 3x10''. I am not sure whether it is the Weber 10''s - I had good experiences with other speakers from them so far.

Any recommendations for a full bodied, detailed but not raspy 10'' (Jensen Neo 10'', Eminence, Celestion, Tone Tubbies)? Styles of playing are country, blues, southern rock.

Thanks for your input,
DBM
jelle

Re: Another speaker thread - 10'' speakers anybody?

Post by jelle »

DBM,

I put the '97 schem into my '64 superreverb once which has Eminence 40 or 50 W alnico's. Not stock superreverb. HUGE sound. Buttery when cranked. If you are interested I can look up the numbers on the speakers. I also tried old stock C10Q jensen with the amp, but they were very grainy and dark.

So I have a good experience with Eminence but there must be other great ones out there too. Anyone experience with tone tubbies?

Jelle

(No virgin vintage amps were harmed doing this, the amp was already 'upgraded' with orange drops and sounds great. After the experiment, the amp was restored)
seulb-rd

Post by seulb-rd »

had the same experience with a 2x10 cab. the cab is open back; has 2 weber ceramics and sounds great with my 18watt, but fizz, buzz, crackle with my d-type. best results with my d-type are with a 2x12 closed back with eminence red fangs or 1x12 custom designed cab with either a red fang or a gh12. there good reviews of the eminence rwb, so i will try one of those.
ciao...dr. blues
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I connected up my Weber 6A40 kit's speakers to the Dumble clone as a test. I found that the 4x10" weber alnico Signature's break up far easier than the Celestion G12H80's I normally use with this amp, plus it requires that I add much more bass to round out the tone. Overall the sound is thinner, but not in a bad way, and a little buzzier, in a bad way :cry: . I'm not thrilled with the speakers with this amp at all.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

seulb-rd wrote:had the same experience with a 2x10 cab. the cab is open back; has 2 weber ceramics and sounds great with my 18watt, but fizz, buzz, crackle with my d-type. best results with my d-type are with a 2x12 closed back with eminence red fangs or 1x12 custom designed cab with either a red fang or a gh12. there good reviews of the eminence rwb, so i will try one of those.
seulb-rd,

Thanks for your input. I understand that "rwb" stands for "red, white and blue" but what does "gh12" stand for? I could not find an Eminence model that fit this abbreviation.

Thanks, DBM
seulb-rd

Post by seulb-rd »

Darkbluemurder wrote:
seulb-rd wrote:
I understand that "rwb" stands for "red, white and blue" but what does "gh12" stand for? I could not find an Eminence model that fit this abbreviation.
typo on my part. it's supposed to be (celestion) G12H.
ciao...dr. blues
llemtt

Post by llemtt »

celestion: G -> Guitar, 12 -> diameter, H -> heavy

?

teo
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

seulb-rd wrote:
Darkbluemurder wrote:
seulb-rd wrote:
I understand that "rwb" stands for "red, white and blue" but what does "gh12" stand for? I could not find an Eminence model that fit this abbreviation.
typo on my part. it's supposed to be (celestion) G12H.
Celection actually makes several G12H speakers. I have a pair of G12H80's which were discontinued about a year ago. They're very flat in response unlike most other Celestions which have tons of charactor. These work out good for a Dumble because they're flat, but not for Marshall's that like speakers with more charactor.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

jelle wrote:Anyone experience with tone tubbies?

Jelle
Yes, me. I have 2 10'' TT ceramics. They sound dark and brutal to me. Good for a Marshall type amp. Need to be cranked to sound their best. At low volume they are fizzy.

Not the best for a D-style amp though.

I've read in TGP that Fuchs uses Eminence Ramrods in the 2x10'' combos and also used Eminence Ragin Cajuns. Does anybody have a first hand experience with them and could compare them to the Webers?
Bear

Post by Bear »

I'd look into the Eminence Lil Buddy - it's a new 50 watt ceramic mag, hemp cone speaker, anounced at Namm back in winter. Pretty cheap, too - seems to run about $55 a pop. Descriptions from Eminence seem to imply maybe warmer and rawer than the Cannabis Rex?

Bear
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

After my good experience with the Jensen Neo 12 I ordered 2 Jensen Neo 10s and replaced the 2 Weber Alnico 10A125 in the 3x10 Bandmaster. The sound is much better now. The low end is fuller and doesn't falter and get muddy. Still strong clean tones. Another plus is that the speakers are light which is important for a 3x10 amp. I will definitely order a third to replace the ceramic Weber (a 10F150) that is still in the amp. That will get rid of the remaining harshness.

Now there's the question what to do with the Webers? Does anybody need speakers for an 18W project? If not then I probably will have to build one myself.

Cheers Stephan
bigd

Post by bigd »

I love 10's. Have used several, but for the D tone, I really like and use the Eminence Lil' Buddy. As described above, hemp cone is nice and warm, very smooth top end. Use a Parker Fly, Memphis Jazz, Custom Strat with noiseless. Sound good clean or OD. Love the Cannabis and RWB for 12's. Similar tone to the Buddy. The spec's and description are accurate at: http://www.eminence.com/pdf/lilbuddy.pdf. Another good choice is the Eminence Beta 10's. Used them on these cuts at http://www.davidcraton.com/mp3.htm. Good hunting.
bigd

Post by bigd »

Sorry, the link for the beta 10's is http://www.davidcraton.com/mp3.htm

dc
Harris

Post by Harris »

I've recently built a 6v6 Dumble lite into a 1x10 cab. Tried several speakers and COULD NOT get the tone I wanted. I wasn't getting close to the sound I was after. That is, until I put a Weber California Ceramic in there. VERY nice speaker. Would love to hear the alnico version, but its too much $ for me.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Harris wrote:I've recently built a 6v6 Dumble lite into a 1x10 cab. Tried several speakers and COULD NOT get the tone I wanted. I wasn't getting close to the sound I was after. That is, until I put a Weber California Ceramic in there. VERY nice speaker. Would love to hear the alnico version, but its too much $ for me.
What? You built a 6V6 Lite and didn't tell anybody? Pics man, pics! What was your impression of the build? Did the layout work out OK? Any changes? Come on man...now the cat's out of the bag. :lol:

(Seriously, though, I would love to hear what you think of the build and what could be done to improve the layout or component choices.)