Carlton sound?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

grtamp

Carlton sound?

Post by grtamp »

The #124 amp is good for a Carlton sound or there are other schematic for that sound? or tweaks?

thanks
dr. who

Re: Carlton sound?

Post by dr. who »

Bludotone Amps made the amp that LC currently uses. It is not a #124 clone.
grtamp

Post by grtamp »

Thanks ,but I want build my own amp, I don't want buy it.

I seen any photo of one his old amp (I think because labeled the name inside ,on chassies) but I don't know if that amp is like a #124 type.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

I just finished a #124 build used all military spec. parts, 7025 preamp tubes, tuned the bias on the preamp tubes, set the bias on the 6l6gc quad @ -41 ma. I had to do a lot tweaking to get a sound
That I liked yes it will do the Larry Carlton thing and adjust the trimmer a little hotter it also does the Robben Ford sound. It would have been a lot cheaper to buy a Bludotone amp and less time consuming. So far in this life I have never done anything the easy way.

Have fun Steve.
talbany

Post by talbany »

grtamp wrote:Thanks ,but I want build my own amp, I don't want buy it.

I seen any photo of one his old amp (I think because labeled the name inside ,on chassies) but I don't know if that amp is like a #124 type.
The amp you refer was Gregor's amp.. Non HRM..The consensus here was Larry owned the amp for a short period as this was quite some time ago and his tone has changed since then.. Latest pics indicate a Bluesmaster/HRM with a special voiced PAB... Good Luck!!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Does anyone know what type amp LC was using on the "Kid Charlemagne" solo?
marcos

Post by marcos »

AFAIK the Kid Charlemagne solo was recorded with a tweed Deluxe
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

CHIP wrote:Does anyone know what type amp LC was using on the "Kid Charlemagne" solo?
LC's Steely Dan rig. (From the horse's mouth...)
"The blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits." - Willie Dixon
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Thanks guys for edgumacating me. 8)
Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

Check out this thread for some good info on LC's amp.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ght=ripper

Cheers,

Paul.
xray

Post by xray »

Not to derail the thread, but I recently got my hands on a valley arts guitar, (7/8 size 24.75 scale tuneomatic, no emgs though) and a lot of that Last Nite type of tone has much to do with the guitar and Larry's hands of course.
ayan

Post by ayan »

dr. who wrote:Bludotone Amps made the amp that LC currently uses. It is not a #124 clone.
Will I be shot if I say that Larry hasn't sounded like Larry in a long time? :) The new amp he uses is its own thing, agreed, but I don't think anyone thinks of the "LC Dumble Sound" when they hear him these days. At least not me, and I doubt anyone anyone else who has been a fan of his for the last 30 years, give or take, would either.

In terms of the best circuit to cop the early LC Dumble sound, your best bet is to build a "Classic" circuit amp. The would be amps with 220K/150K plates. a .047uF Midrange cap amp, probably a 100K slope resistor (150K is another option and pretty similar sounding), and the optional 1uF bypass cap for V1B. Those amps had a Deep Switch too. At that time, Calrton used the overdrive channel and preamp boost quite a bit. Note that a good chunk of the "Last Nite" sound is the Audio Arts graphic EQ. I still have one and can assure you that half of the sound it the EQ itself, although I have never tired the EQ with any other amp.

If you try a 124 type of circuit, i.e. 100K plate Skyliner, you will get more of a RF sound. The sound will be definitely thicker, but not as "radical" as if you go with Skyliner high plates, which is the Robben Ford amp. The more modern LC circuit is an entirely different animal, and by most accounts Larry get his sound by playing loud and staying on the clean channel. You will be hard-pressed to get the old LC tone that way, not even LC himself gets that old tone anymore.

Cheers,

Gil
Structo

Post by Structo »

Interesting.
Isn't it funny when love a certain tone of one of our guitar heroes then come to find out it wasn't the amp we thought they used at all for the recording.

Sort of like early Led Zep, a tele and Supro? Come on!
It sounded so huge!

Studio tricks. :lol:

What was the model of EQ Gil?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
xray

Post by xray »

The Eq is an audio arts 4100 I believe. Gil can you share your Audio arts settings with us ?
Max

Post by Max »

ayan wrote:
dr. who wrote:Bludotone Amps made the amp that LC currently uses. It is not a #124 clone.
Will I be shot if I say that Larry hasn't sounded like Larry in a long time? :) The new amp he uses is its own thing, agreed, but I don't think anyone thinks of the "LC Dumble Sound" when they hear him these days. At least not me, and I doubt anyone anyone else who has been a fan of his for the last 30 years, give or take, would either.

In terms of the best circuit to cop the early LC Dumble sound, your best bet is to build a "Classic" circuit amp. The would be amps with 220K/150K plates. a .047uF Midrange cap amp, probably a 100K slope resistor (150K is another option and pretty similar sounding), and the optional 1uF bypass cap for V1B. Those amps had a Deep Switch too. At that time, Calrton used the overdrive channel and preamp boost quite a bit. Note that a good chunk of the "Last Nite" sound is the Audio Arts graphic EQ. I still have one and can assure you that half of the sound it the EQ itself, although I have never tired the EQ with any other amp.

If you try a 124 type of circuit, i.e. 100K plate Skyliner, you will get more of a RF sound. The sound will be definitely thicker, but not as "radical" as if you go with Skyliner high plates, which is the Robben Ford amp. The more modern LC circuit is an entirely different animal, and by most accounts Larry get his sound by playing loud and staying on the clean channel. You will be hard-pressed to get the old LC tone that way, not even LC himself gets that old tone anymore.

Cheers,

Gil
Very important post for all those who chase the "Dumble LC signature tone". Thanks Gil for making this clear once again.

Max