Nashville Flood

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

Nashville Flood

Post by talbany »

Here is what I have out of Nashville..
Words have it that Vince Gil lost 80 guitars, and even had a Lloyd Loar Mandolin down there which are as valuable as burst maybe more. Keith Urban lost 200 guitars. Peter Frampton lost his complete live rig and stage guitars, which makes it the 2nd time Peter has lost his performance gear. Lynyrd Skynyrd backline and guitars are gone. Brad Paisley lost all his stage stuff, but I'm hoping his Trainwreck amp was back at the house safely with his Paisley '68 tele which I did hear was safe. I also heard Carlton lost two Dumbles, but that isn't confirmed and I'd surely think folks would be hard at work to save those. Also alot of session guys lost tons of gear including Brent Mason, Brent Rowan, Bryan Sutton, this list goes on an on.So far 4 tractor trailer loads of gear soaking wet as much of the gear sat in 4ft of water for as long as 2 days... Losses may easily reach into the tens millions including high end video led back screens & consoles
BTW.. The building that was flooded was called Sound Check.. This is the facility where most (session players included) "stores all their road gear while not out on the road..A 1000 year event

Here is a pic of Vince's collection drying out and Keith Urban's guitars along with his Gold Top..Iv'e heard much of it is destroyed.. Sheesh!!

Can we please have a moment of silence!!

Tony :cry: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by talbany on Tue May 11, 2010 7:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ampdork

Re: Nashville Flood

Post by ampdork »

"...& I'm all out of bubblegum"
Structo

Post by Structo »

Dang, what a bummer. :(

It's a shame that the musicians kept all their gear there.

Hopefully Soundcheck has insurance to cover these losses.

I hope they relocate to higher ground.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
talbany

Post by talbany »

Structo wrote:Dang, what a bummer. :(

It's a shame that the musicians kept all their gear there.

Hopefully Soundcheck has insurance to cover these losses.

I hope they relocate to higher ground.
SC doesn't insure their gear that is up to the owner and most there didn't have any..They set up an amp triage and Mercury Mag is offering free transformer drying/testing and am sure some of the amps will be salvaged although the cabinets and speakers in the combos and stand alone cabs will not..The big problem with the vintage instruments is as the finish ages it becomes pours and does't provide much of a moisture barrier so the wood just swells/distorts..They did say some of the newer electrics like the PRS's faired better no doubt the reason why.. To give you a scope of the damage they said it was the Namm of damaged gear..Guitars,Amps, Drums,Brass/woodwind, Key's B3's,Steel rigs, Stage props,tons of rental and backline..Video, PA, Recording equipment..Not to mention a building that will stink for quite some time..A real Shame..
Tony
smokin' tone

Post by smokin' tone »

Paisley's Wreck is safe at home.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

talbany wrote:Mercury Mag is offering free transformer drying/testing...
Could we learn what method MM is employing to salvage transformers?
Structo

Post by Structo »

You know, the real shame is that people did lose their lives in this flood.
But I understand the loss also of vintage gear that can never be replaced.

Stage props and PA gear can all be purchased but that 59 Burst or that 55 Esquire and the amps to go along with them will be very difficult if not impossible to restore.
At least all the luthiers and amp techs will have a lot of work in the immediate future.

Still a huge loss.

I had never heard of Soundcheck before.
Is this a common thing?
Like, is there a place in LA where the rock musicians rehearse and store all their gear or is this pretty much a Nashville thing?
Tom

dr. who

Post by dr. who »

I would contact Bob Altman down outside of Athens, GA to repair the Loar Mandolin. He's the person I would think would have the best possibility of making it sound like it did or better.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Zippy wrote:
talbany wrote:Mercury Mag is offering free transformer drying/testing...
Could we learn what method MM is employing to salvage transformers?[/quote
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Now that is a good public relations bit.

Hopefully people will not try to turn on their amps if they were submerged.
The water isn't the problem, it's what was in that water. (turds and tampons, oh my!) :shock:
Tom

talbany

Post by talbany »

had never heard of Soundcheck before.
Is this a common thing?
Like, is there a place in LA where the rock musicians rehearse and store all their gear or is this pretty much a Nashville thing?
SC is Nashville's largest pre and post production storage and maintenance facilities.. It handles virtually all of Nashville's big name acts.. It works alongside companies like Extreme trucking to to provide transport.. SC also provides rehearsal halls for touring acts and well as backline rental gear.. It also stores and caters to many session players who play throughout various studios in an around town delivering gear where and when it's needed. It also houses various repair shops for PA/Amp/ Luthier’s as well..Brad was there rehearsing for an upcoming tour named H20 tour.. Go figure… Thats why most of his stuff was there.. Brooks and Dunn were luckily in Canada at the time of the flood…Hope this helps..

I think the Mercury Magnetics offer to help is a noble gesture!!

Tony
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Structo wrote: Hopefully Soundcheck has insurance to cover these losses.
I'm hearing "NO"....tough to get flood insurance next-to a river. :cry:
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

I am lookin for a waterlogged vibrolux, and super reverb---
Pete

Post by Pete »

Structo wrote:Is this a common thing?
Like, is there a place in LA where the rock musicians rehearse and store all their gear
yes, in Los Angeles there are several cartage companies that house your gear and bring it from session to session as you request. Many rehearsal studios are independent of this service.
"Learn what to do with your fingers to make it respond well." - H.A.D.
guitardude57

Post by guitardude57 »

Anytime someone stores gear in any storage facility, it is the gear owners problem to insure it.

Doesn't matter if it is a Public Storage or a Rehearsal Complex with individual storage lockers. Your gear is not their problem.

Some States actually require you purchase said insurance at time of storage rental.......pretty good idea.
Mike

I am never surprised and always amazed