Dumble video/sound clip reference, real Dumbles only please

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: Dumble video/sound clip reference, real Dumbles only please

Post by norburybrook »

edit.....
Last edited by norburybrook on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

didit wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:03 pm Tumbled on this fine Dumble video, albeit in Japanese. Compares three distinct amps. There's an embedded "jump" to a webposting that, once run through Google translate, gave some colour and form to the video. Found a few other postings with pointers to it, but in "topic specific" threads.

Best .. Ian
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say none of them sounded that great to me. I think my amps sound better than those.

there..I've said it........runs and hides...................

M
didit

Post by didit »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:01 pm there..I've said it........runs and hides...................
No hiding from the truth sir. My humour in use of "fine" was exaggeration. That '70s ODSR sounded best, to my ears. Amp settings and playing seem poor representation of the potential. Out on a bit of a limb and suggest, Marcus, that if you'd tweaked and then played 'em then demo would be way better.

Best .. Ian
Last edited by didit on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

didit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:06 pm
norburybrook wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:01 pm there..I've said it........runs and hides...................
No hiding from the truth sir. My humour in use of "fine" was exaggeration. That '70s ODSR sounded best, to my ears. Amp settings and playing seem poor representation of the potential. Out on a bit of a limb and suggest, Marcus, that if you'd tweaked and then played 'em then demo would be way better.

Best .. Ian
Ian that's very kind :D thank you. It's not just me then :D

as they say; 'it's the Archer not the arrow' I think that video sort of sums that up.

I really don't hear anything special in those amps. I think my tone journey in chasing the 'Dumble' thing is at the end of the road pretty much now after seeing this and doing some components swapping etc recently. I'm of the opinion now that we can all get there 99% by following the component choices and layouts here on TAG, which is a wonderful thing. The rest is in your hands :D

until the next build :D ......................

MC
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

It’s likely there are some tired e-caps in those amps, and maybe other components that have deteriorated over time. There is naturally a reluctance to do even normal maintenance on them for fear of hurting the resale value.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:27 pm It’s likely there are some tired e-caps in those amps, and maybe other components that have deteriorated over time. There is naturally a reluctance to do even normal maintenance on them for fear of hurting the resale value.
I can imagine :D however, both the ODS amps sounded fairly similarly average to me so I doubt they'd both have the same issues :D

Funny that gold scrip EL34 amp is the one I modeled my #183 from :D
IMG_20190202_141512-01.jpeg

Tough call for a collector though regarding 'value' knowing what and how to replace things when they inevitably need changing.

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

I'll jump in here!
I can say from experience that it took me a while to find the sweet spot in these amps. I've always been a rather heavy-handed player and although I was able to get away with it on the clean side the OD never really sounded that good at first. Most players who use pedals are not used to tube overdrive where it requires a bit more finesse and touch to find the sweet spots. Although the ODS can pump out some gain where it sounds best IMO is more of a moderate overdrive (like a cranked Plexi) so IMO the high gain players are not really used to that sound (just give them a 5150) :lol:
You can get away with being a little sloppy with the pedals too but not with an ODS as it asks you to up your game and requires a little more interaction from you than say a heavy-handed player who is used to using pedals to get his overdrive sounds :shock:
Of course, there is always the maintenance issues that go with the old amps as well!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

talbany wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:14 am I'll jump in here!
I can say from experience that it took me a while to find the sweet spot in these amps. I've always been a rather heavy-handed player and although I was able to get away with it on the clean side the OD never really sounded that good at first. Most players who use pedals are not used to tube overdrive where it requires a bit more finesse and touch to find the sweet spots. Although the ODS can pump out some gain where it sounds best IMO is more of a moderate overdrive (like a cranked Plexi) so IMO the high gain players are not really used to that sound (just give them a 5150) :lol:
You can get away with being a little sloppy with the pedals too but not with an ODS as it asks you to up your game and requires a little more interaction from you than say a heavy-handed player who is used to using pedals to get his overdrive sounds :shock:
Of course, there is always the maintenance issues that go with the old amps as well!

Tony
Tony, I agree 100% with this and if you think about it, HAD wouldn't build for people who he didn't think would make it work for them. He used to to have to have heard you play before he'd consider making an amp, and I think everything you said above confirms this.

I Know my playing has improved because of these amps and a lack of pedals.

The above examples of the real thing in the Japanese shop only go to show this very graphically .

M
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

JM is playing his Dumble and no other amps with Dead and Co this tour. Amp sounds great.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

John Mayer played the most expensive rig ever assembled last night at citi field. The tone was absolutely incredible.
10BEC039-EACD-4824-BB7C-4263D46CB550.jpeg
https://youtu.be/XMXnLEwY7OA
https://youtu.be/Sd76rUra1Go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

This popped up in my inbox yesterday through my online subscription to Premier Guitar.
Dave Bohlinger and Walter Carter from Carter Vintage Guitars talk about the Hoyt Axton ODS, Overdrive Deluxe, and the HAD modded '59 Bassman reissue they've had in the store.
Nothing really new about the circuit designs is discussed, but it's just cool to see a demo of each at the beginning then hear them talk shop about Dumbles.

- Matt J.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah I just found that clip this morning too and was going to share just now. I've not watched it all yet, but the intro playing was great.
Fixed your YouTube link to be played here
Phil
tUber Nerd!
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:58 pm Yeah I just found that clip this morning too and was going to share just now. I've not watched it all yet, but the intro playing was great.
Fixed your YouTube link to be played here
Phil
Thanks Phil! I wasn't certain it posted correctly at first!
- Matt J.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Oh, one other thing. It's interesting to hear in the above video that Carter's has apparently sold Steel String Singer they used to have; #003 that belonged to David Lindley.
I may be out of the loop on things a bit, so this is the first I've heard that. Any info on who may have bought it?

- Matt J.
Dumbbell

Post by Dumbbell »

Max wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:46 pm
boldaslove6789 wrote:Max,

So it is known that there were 150w and 300w DL's. What wattage was the DL in the linked clip? I love the tone of it BTW, thanks. Technically if it were a 150w it should be called a Dumbleland Special right?
Hi Greg,

It's a 150W Dumbleland Special for guitar. In the 1978 price list there has been offered a 150W Dumbleland for bass, too (Tiran Porter a user as an example - AFAIK. BTW: there is a Doobie Brothers clip on youtube where you can get a glimpse for a 10th of a second).
This is possibly the arrangements (Power wattage + tube compliment ) of most Dumbles Amps (exclude rack pre's of course)
Here is what I know concerning this:
Hotel Hog: 20w (2 6v6's)

25W (Guitar Player interview)
Overdrive Special:
50w (2x6L6's or 4 6v6's)
100w (early amps {#1-150} were 6L6 config, some amps after #150 used El34's)
EL34 have been an option for all the 4th generation classic amps (see the 4th generation "classic" ODS data sheet on Rob Livesey's site)
150w (Todd Sharp) (4x6550's)
yes
Angles Breath: (?)
No idea.
Manzamp: (?)
AFAIK these have been called "Dumble Man-Amp" at first (1986 price list) and have been offered from 50 to 450W (Soundcheck interview). But I only have heard of a 50W example up to now and of a proto kind of preamp (EJ)
Odyssey Pwr Amp:
100w (4x6L6's)
150w (4x6550's)
(300w ?, Dumble said in an article I read that he made interchangeable pre and power amps so it is very possible there was high power rack amps also available)
Odysseys all 100W AFAIK, but maybe others with other names (Phoenix, Winterland?)
Steel String Singer:
100w 4x6L6's (#1-4)
150w (6550 were standard after serial #4
1978 price list: only 100W combo offered
1986 price list: 120W and 150W offered
90ies price list: only one version offered; probably 150W
#001 (combo),#002 and #003 (heads) are all labelled "SSS-100" on their backs
Winterland:
300w (6x6550)
400w (?)
I only know of some early 4x KT88 bass heads, reported to deliver 200W, and of one power amp (ebay many many years ago) with this name, with 8x6550 and reported to deliver 450 watt (AFAIR the ebay item description).

That's what I know from Alexander's interviews, some price lists, some ebay or dealer offers and because I am familar with some of these models.

Cheers and all the best,

Max
Max, could you give me the 1978 and 1986 price lists? Cheers