Today you choose.... FORD's or TAG's

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Max

Re: Today you choose.... FORD's or TAG's

Post by Max »

makrisp wrote:Max,

The biggest question of all is which amp, speaker, guitar, classic, skyline,non HRM.....ect was employed on the mystic mile album? ....especially the politician clip....maybe you can shed some light on this matter.

Thanks in advance.
Hi makrisp,

I am sorry, but I don't know this. But perhaps he still remembers? So if this really is the "biggest question" for you and perhaps others here, too, perhaps an answer would be worth the travel to Ojai in October or to one of his concerts and you just ask him? The concert will be fun anyway if you like his music and playing, and AFAIK the Ojai clinics have a very good reputation, too.

All the best,

Max
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

Shad; how's the high freq. content of the amp reduced with that low snubbers of #183? I mean; without a dumblelator it's smooth, is there a treble bleed or a higher v2b out resistor?
Does not seem to be any effort to reduce high end. Likewise nothing done to brighten it either.
So Robbens Tan Dumble in this post is always set up with a Dumbleator loop and certain cables to reduce the brightness?
What's up with the cables?
To be perfectly honest I paid little attention to those but I will say the ones that were with this amp looked to be very high end.... Doubting the ones that came we're of a very high cap.....they looked like very high grade, lo cap leads....could be completely wrong but they wee definitely not the type ford uses.

The loop itself is said to contain some small tweak....I'll find it later and post about it when I can...
Do you mind sharing what the OD1 and OD2 resistor values are after the couplers in the TKT amp?
And are all four bypass caps 4.7-5uF?
100k and 180k respectively

Yes 4.7uf all stages, both amps.
"...& I'm all out of bubblegum"
stevlech

Post by stevlech »

Thank you all for your continued generosity. And please continue with this sort of dialogue- you gentlemen (and ladies?) are extraordinary. :D
Structo

Post by Structo »

I tried the Ford 2.2uF presence cap a while back and I sure didn't like that.
Probably why when you see Robben's amp he has the Presence turned almost all the way down.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

another crappy clip , Showing off 183's sustain at bedroom volumes
sorry for all the clams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpt4sGwAVZM
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Where can I buy one of those tone rags you have over your amp? :)

Sounded really good though, real smooth with nice bloom. So that was at low vols?
Mac Daddy

stealth Rag

Post by Mac Daddy »

Ha Ha that rag is what gives the Amp its Mojo , Its a Stealth Rag
It hides the Logo & the Settings
I will be marketing them in the near furture
after HAD blesses them
The volume settings were set very low going thru a Lexicon Jamman
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

Thanks for the clips ! I'm am curious although, why hide the logo? Shouldn't you be proud of this tone monster?
kleinm

Post by kleinm »

Beautiful stuff, Mac Daddy.
67:1
Structo

Post by Structo »

You know for a while I had my amp doing the harmonic feedback/ bloom thing. Not over the top but just right where if I wanted I could get it to do it if I wanted.
But lately it seems as if that went away.
Don't know what changed.
I do have the balance trimmer on the PI and I've played with the bias.
I have dual bias controls (50w, one for each tube).
Tried having both the same or 2-3ma apart.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
PierreL

Post by PierreL »

Max wrote: @all:
Because of this it would be really interesting what amp you refer here to as beeing the "the RF amp" (On which track of which record?)? About which amp you are all talking about here as "the RF amp"?
Max
Look on Youtube for clips of the Robben Ford concert at the Leverkusen Festival (I think it was late 2008), he plays the tan Dumble with a 335 (and the Tele), and the tone is spectacular. "Piece on my mind" in particular is incredible...
johan

Post by johan »

Max

Post by Max »

PierreL wrote:
Max wrote: @all:
Because of this it would be really interesting what amp you refer here to as beeing the "the RF amp" (On which track of which record?)? About which amp you are all talking about here as "the RF amp"?
Max
Look on Youtube for clips of the Robben Ford concert at the Leverkusen Festival (I think it was late 2008), he plays the tan Dumble with a 335 (and the Tele), and the tone is spectacular. "Piece on my mind" in particular is incredible...
Please be patient with me and let me try again to explain my question:

The Robben Ford Dumble ODS amps (AFAIK) in 1993, at the time when "Mystic Mile" ("Politician") was published:

Amp 1:

RF got his first Dumble amp in 1982. 4th generation "classic" ODS head, black tolex (or perhaps dark grey suede with vox grill - or is this a mysterious Amp 4?). Series # will probably be somewhere between #90 and #120.

Picture: http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... umble1.jpg

At the time "Politician" (Mystic Mile) was published, he had at least two more Dumble ODS amps at hand:

Please look at page 154 of "The Tube Amp Book, 4th edition, by Aspen Pittman" published in 1993, just as "Mystic Mile".

There you see:

Amp 2:

a 4th generation "classic" with deep switch and with the second style 4th generation logo in a light (tan?) head cabinet. Series # will probably be somewhere between 130 and 160.

Amp 3:

a 5th generation (Skyline EQ, Mid switch, precision PS) combo. Series # will be somewhere between 150 and 200.

Picture: http://jameslow.com/wordpress/wp-conten ... umblec.jpg

For a longer period of time Amp 1 stayed in its black head cabinet.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzVq9JsBLsI

Amp 2 later jumped into a green combo cabinet.

Pictures: http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... bo_JPG.jpg

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... le_JPG.jpg

Amp 3 disappeared AFAIK, at least from the stages and pictures I have seen.

Then:

Amp 1 jumped into a tan head cabinet (perhaps the original head cabinet of Amp 2 as pictured in Aspen’s book?), where it still resides AFAIK.

Pictures: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=503084

Amp 2 jumped into the black cabinet of Amp 1, where it still resides AFAIK.

Picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/buschenhenke/4131155542/

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBw_M2cQyQ4

Result in regard to "What amp did RF use for the Politician guitar track?":

Around the time when "Politician" was recorded and published RF reportedly had (at least!) three ODS at his disposal. One of them originally made with skyline specs and a precision PS. The other two perhaps or even probably updated to skyline and precision PS specs, too. But caution, these updates of Amp 1 and Amp 2 are perhaps probable in 1993, but "supposing" is not the same as "knowing for sure"!

So perhaps now makrisp and others can understand, why I don’t have any idea what amp and with which technical specs RF used to record "Politician" (perhaps Todd Sharp’s Rockman?)

All this said, now please let me ask again:

Are the technical specs posted here in this thread (thanks for this!) as being those of "the Robben Ford amp" the technical specs of Amp 1 - or those of Amp 2 - or those of
Amp 3?

A nice day to all here.

Have fun,

Max
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Hey all,

Just wanted to jump in and confirm some things:

Since i was actually the one who was in Robbens Tan Dumble with the Green Light, and Shad's Values are out of one of my "Ojai Special" amps that he took it upon himself to "incorrectly" alter:

220/150 3.3/2.2/5uf on v1 and v2, Standard Skyline EQ, 6ps series orange drops, Sprague Q-line Resistors throughout.
250K Linear treble, 250K Audio Mid, Bass pot marked 500K but measured around 400K with .001 Bypass 390PF treble cap on the Mid switch was Mica

Mid cap was something "Different" composition wise, not an orange drop,

LNFB on v1B 2x 10M in series, .05, 2x 10M

33k grid stopper V1A, 220K/500pf v1B

220K feeding 100K trimmer measured +/-26K to ground with amp on
.01, .005 couplers v1B 100K LINEAR pots (Why an audio taper would make it some how "Better" is beyond me, just turn the damn knob down)
Snubbers were 250pf ( I used caps that were marked 270 but measured 250 in the amp Shad Poked around in)

100K Feeding Drive pot, 150K feeding Ratio Pot, Grid stoppers for V2 were 68K/180K

4K7 Negative feedback resistor, Standard PI (820, 24K, 390R) 2.2uf presence

110K/120K on the PI with .1uf couplers.

Dropping string was 2.7K, 22K, 2.2K

220uf caps in series to the plates
22uf to the screens
22uf to the PI
40/40 UF cap can feeding v1 and v2

PT looked like a Peavey/magnetic components out of a deuce or 5150 or ultra 120, and was a fwb type (no center tap on the b+)arrangement, Plates were around 455-460 depending on bias setting

Choke and OT were out of a Twin/Showman.

Here's a pic of Tag's amp if there aren't any up already

and here is a link to Robben playing his Ojai with Larry Carlton

www.youtube.com/watchv=tuBKNQJQyrMhttp://
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpvO1eLteM0&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlvbP2Z- ... re=channel

Enjoy
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

boldaslove6789 wrote:Thanks for the clips ! I'm am curious although, why hide the logo? Shouldn't you be proud of this tone monster?
Because I posted it on another forum were I didn't mention what the amp was