6L6 Power Tubes - your favorites?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Darkbluemurder

6L6 Power Tubes - your favorites?

Post by Darkbluemurder »

And finally, what are your preferred choices for the workhorses in your amps? At the moment I use TAD 6L6GC-STR, Sovtek 6L6 WXT and Sovtek 5881 WXT. I also have a pair of Valve Art KT-66 which are also nice.
Bob-I

Re: 6L6 Power Tubes - your favorites?

Post by Bob-I »

Darkbluemurder wrote:And finally, what are your preferred choices for the workhorses in your amps? At the moment I use TAD 6L6GC-STR, Sovtek 6L6 WXT and Sovtek 5881 WXT. I also have a pair of Valve Art KT-66 which are also nice.
I've tried JJ's WingedC and Sovtek 5881WXT. So far I like the WingedC and the Sovtek's best, the JJ's are a tad harsh.
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

I'm currently using the Ruby STR's, and I like'em just fine.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
glasman

Post by glasman »

I have had good luck with Winded C's and JJ's (at higher plate voltages). I have quad of the Reflektor Svetlanas that I am going to give a try in my combo when times permits.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
seulb-rd

Post by seulb-rd »

right now i'm using winged c 6l6gc's. but lord valve is supposed to hook me up with a pair 7581's...
ciao...dr. blues
Pete

Post by Pete »

I keep hearing good things about the winged C.
Tried 2 or 3 sets (quads) in the past couple years. I seem to keep having problems with them. Most of them get very microponic in a month or two.
Was wondering if there was any way an AMP could cause this (or it could be my source).
I'm planning to pick up a set of EH 6L6 soon. Used a set a few years ago didn't have microphonic problem and tone was good.
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

I have a set of Phillips 7581's biased at 34 ma with 484 volts on the plates. YMMV, Skip
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Pete wrote:I keep hearing good things about the winged C.
Tried 2 or 3 sets (quads) in the past couple years. I seem to keep having problems with them. Most of them get very microponic in a month or two.
Was wondering if there was any way an AMP could cause this (or it could be my source).
I was playing through my Super today, heard some ringing. I bet one of those WingedC 6L6's has gone microphonic..... damnit... it's been sounding so good.
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

I have Svetlana 6L6's in my ODS clone and EH El34's. Both rattle so bad you can hear them across the room.

Guess what they have in common? Reflektor factory products. :?

Draw your own conclusions, I have already drawn mine.

BTW- Both sets came from Lord Valve. So I am sure they were tested.
fiddler59

Post by fiddler59 »

TAD blackplate 6l6's get my vote.....
DB
Pete

Post by Pete »

glasman wrote:I have had good luck with Winded C's and JJ's (at higher plate voltages). I have quad of the Reflektor Svetlanas that I am going to give a try in my combo when times permits.

Gary
Are the Reflektor Svetlanas the "early" (non winged C) ones that have Svetlana on them? I tried these (quite a few) some years ago when I first heard about them. They were crap IMHO.
Can you recomend a source for the winged C?
Thanks
Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

keithrick wrote:I have Svetlana 6L6's in my ODS clone and EH El34's. Both rattle so bad you can hear them across the room.

Guess what they have in common? Reflektor factory products. :?

Draw your own conclusions, I have already drawn mine.

BTW- Both sets came from Lord Valve. So I am sure they were tested.
How about the EH 6L6, is it a product of the Reflektor factory?
Any reason to believe it is any better, i.e. less microphonic than the others mentioned?

When I speak of the winged C being microphonic, I mean these things seem to rattle or buzz sympathetically (heard in the speaker) to certain notes played and when tapped. Sounds like it could be what you described. Comments I've heard about the Svetlana are not good but I thought the winged C is suppose to be better. (my experience with these is confusing)

The one set of EH 6L6 I've tried recently seemd to be OK although maybe a more high pitched ping when tapped but no note rattle, just wondering if I got lucky.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

fiddler59 wrote:TAD blackplate 6l6's get my vote.....
DB
AMEN!!!!!! That`s the bad boy!! :)
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

Note I preface this by saying: I am not an expert on tube manufacturing, or tubes in general.

I Believe all new Svetlana, Tung Sol, Mullard, EH and Sovtek all come from the same Reflektor factory, the man who owns the factory is buying the rights to brand names. Whether the respective product compares is another story. In my personal case NO.

What I have discovered is that all new tubes are marginal and that the NOS market is skyrocketing.

I need too bite the bullet and purchase some Seimens for the TW and RCA Blackplates for the Dumbles.

also lets not forget about the 12ax7's :roll:
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

FWIW;

Even in the good old days, it was hard to find 12ax7s that were not microphonic right out of the box. I built Dynaco PAS-3s in the '60s that sounded like they had gutar pickups in there. Mullard, RCA, and Telefunken were sought after in the 60's. This ain't the HI-Fi market though. These tubes live terrifying lives compared to a pair of 2A3's in a hi end listening room.

I'm not so sure about all the tubes coming out of the same factory, just don't know. Do know that the Chinese are very smart and picky as hell about HI=FI tubes. There is quite a home market. Some manufacturers seek the highest quality they can produce. It's about reputation and National face. Or so I've been told. They build a hell of a lethal AK47 with no problems at all.

I've ordered Valve Art KT66s based just on internet hype.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.