Anyone tried D-style OD with 5E7 preamp?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Luthierwnc

Anyone tried D-style OD with 5E7 preamp?

Post by Luthierwnc »

Just wondering. Winter will be here soon :lol:

Thanks, Skip
mad_dog

Re: Anyone tried D-style OD with 5E7 preamp?

Post by mad_dog »

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have a feeling a lot of us are going to be building that sweet tweed ODS.

Mark
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Actually, I've built that amp (or a variation on it). I was thinking more of the late Bandmaster circuit. It has a cathode follower after the second gain stage but the tonestack is one generation behind the modern TMB. It also has a cathodyne inverter.

I may just figure something out with a PAB, active loop and one-tube reverb since they get fairly gritty already.

Cheers, sh
RB

Post by RB »

http://www.kilback.net/homebrewtweaks/a ... m#tweed5e7

Here is a link I ran into a few yerars ago. 5E7 with half of an overdrive section. May be of some interest to you. Some other 5E5/5E7 combinations of mods/circuits on site also.

I built a 5E7 using KT66's and GZ34 and 3x10A125 Weber alnicos that I will never part with. My favorite tweed circuit.

Randy
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Built that one too! I have two of that circuit and they are among my favorite amps ever. One is a pretty-much stock 5E5-A in a 1959 P15N combo and the other has the Paul C mod in a head over a 4X10. An Ampeg-based stand-alone reverb tank goes into the front-end. Not a bad sound in it.

One of the reasons I like these and Dumble-style amps is how much difference going from 6 to 9 on the guitar volume makes. Don't particularly care for the 5E3-style tone-stack, though. I play cleaner than that anyway and it is rung-out too soon.

Thanks guys! sh
ER

Here's mine...

Post by ER »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G0g7P9CzCw

Just a single OD gain stage post tone controls, no master volume. Used other half of V1 not used with the single input. With OD switched out it's stock 5E7.

Really gainy, used a 12ay7 for V1 and it still runs out of clean pretty quickly, I think two stages of OD would be way overkill and I may even mess with this one to try and get more headroom out of it.

My inspiration to build this was some donor iron and tubes from a baldwin-leslie booster amp, and the first Montrose album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk52nGxF-jc
Gear wise other than the bass amp, these guys could have opened for skinny Elvis.

The camera mic doesn't do it justice but you get the idea...it's a rock and roll machine, with a tube screamer or humbuckers it's just silly tone without tearing your head off. The cab in the video is an old 4x12 cab (thanks Larry!) loaded with various "organ donor" alnico 12"s. Still waiting to tolex the head and 2x12 D-style oval back cab for it, home depot pine and floating 1/2" ply with the two heppners from my hammond.

-ER