About Moss of Brown Note

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

leleduke

Re: About Moss of Brown Note

Post by leleduke »

Has anyone heard from Moss???
Last edited by leleduke on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moorees335

Post by moorees335 »

I had a shit experience with that guy, and since sold the amp almost a year and a half ago. I liked playing it, but I suspect it was never truly fixed although it was better. It's a damn shame, I still kind of liked the amp. Other players I know dropped them like it was hot too. lol
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Against my better judgment in Jan of 2011 I ordered some 18 watt front and rear plates which supposely he had on hand. I had seen the complaints, I had even called Moss on his personal cell asking him to contact folks looking for him. I figured it's only faceplates, not a kit or a completed amp so how hard can that be. Well after a half dozen broken promises of money will be refunded or items will be shipped, I've written him off.

I last heard from him about 13 months ago, only and I mean only after I mentioned reporting him to the BBB. He quickly offered to refund my money and send faceplates as reparations......reparations, like I was a freed slave. I gave him one more chance and I have to yet to see either a refund or faceplates in two years.

http://www.bbb.org/northeast-california ... a-47015987

TM
jelle

Post by jelle »

Now I am not trying to negate the points above.

That BBB place is interesting: anonymous complaints. I always have issues with that.
leleduke

Post by leleduke »

Moss is a great amp builder but I have had some problems with orders in the past.
Last edited by leleduke on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Moss does mean well, but his problem doesn't stem from the political leader you most despise (if it did I'd blame Robert Mugabe.)

It's his business model it couldn't cope with the explosion of orders.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Moss is collecting the money up front what could be so hard about filling an order when you have everyone's capitol, not like it's is coming out of his pocket. Poor businessman is the problem.
FUCHSAUDIO

Regarding Moss

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I've actually been in touch with him recently. Sounds like he's a pretty defeated man, if you ask me. He didn't go into many specifics, but it sounds like things just went off the rails, and he was unable to get things back on track. I heard from a few people that he kept sending builds out to placate customers and not in the order they were received, until the house of cards collapsed. He had others building for him that bailed and I guess it took longer for him to recognize just how deep in the hole he went. I wish I knew more, but it sounds he's trying to put his life back together in ways more important than just the business. I don't know if BN is still even a viable company, but I'll ask....

FWIW: I'm not shilling here, but I have sorted out and repaired a number of Brown Note amps over the last few years. Obviously, it's not done for free, but it is done correctly, fairly priced, and in some cases we correct some built-in production errors that needed fixing.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
ampmike

Moss

Post by ampmike »

I got a Brownote years ago,I waited about 6 months.In the meantime I got a metro and that was delivered in a week.I was in the construction buss for 30 years and always leaned in the customers side of payments.We produced and then got paid.With cabs I build them with my money then when they are ready to ship I send an invoice.I sleep much better!Mikey
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

leleduke wrote:Has anyone heard from Moss???
Thank you for reviving this thread. I am seriously thinking about an ODS build right now and I was going to buy a kit from Brownote to save me the hassle of scrounging up all of the parts. You just saved me a bunch of cash and/or heartache. Beer is on me if we ever cross paths :D
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

How can Moss allow someone to place an order, does his shopping basket still allow a person to be ripped off?
leleduke

Post by leleduke »

I just build c tone ots kits with merc or heyboer trannies and and the sound really good.
leleduke

Post by leleduke »

It looks like you can still make a payment on his site.. http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

M Fowler wrote:How can Moss allow someone to place an order?
I was just able to put a 44 super deluxe kit and head cabinet into my cart, right up to the point of entering payment options........so there you have it!

TM
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

It's too bad he is having issues. I really liked his site when I first saw it 4 or 5 years ago. It looked like he had a real good thing going. IIRC he was quite active in the 18Watt community and had a good following there at the time.

Chappy