Eric Johnson's original Overdrive Special?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stumpydj

Re: Eric Johnson's original Overdrive Special?

Post by stumpydj »

nix wrote:The Electromagnets amp was mostly the '69 Super Bass. I know he occasionally used an original Boogie, but the Marshall was used most often.
From an Electromagnets interview done by James Santiago:
Did you use Hi-Watts on the album?

ERIC: Yeah, I used a Hi-Watt 100 head though a Marshall cabinet. And I used an early-'70s Marshall 100-watt head through a Marshall cabinet. And an Echoplex, probably the Fresh Fuzz. I used either Bill Maddox's '57 Strat, and I used my 335. Oh, and then I used a 1960 Les Paul Standard on Salem through a 100-watt Boogie head through a Marshall cabinet.

Is this the same gear that was used in the Electromagnets video?

ERIC: That's that same Les Paul through a Boogie head and a 4x12 cabinet.
The entire Electromagnets interview is here:

http://www.ericjohnson.com/electromagne ... gnets.html
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCy7NLGl2_8&t=1745s

NO Dumbleator, A Echoplex into a Fender TUBE reverb, w/pedals in front of his ODS w/NO TOLEX :)
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

talbany wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:18 pm nix
Not much is really known about Erics ODS..Rumor has it there is a kind of love hate relationship with the amp (prefers it with humbuckers) but prefers the strats run through his Marshall w/FF for his OD tone now..AFAIK it still resides in his collection but rarely comes out to play.. Of coarse his ODS has been modified several times AFAIK..Read below..
BTW..I think there is a picture of it in Aspen Pittmans GT book 2nd edition

(I posted this before you may have missed it)

Here's some stuff on the topic from Eric's drummer, Tommy Taylor:

"There WAS overdrive special on Tones...Zap! And possibly Friends...maybe one or two others.
Soulful Terrain was cut with a '58 Strat, except for the solo, which was done with a '54 Strat on the bridge pickup using the Dumble Overdrive Special amp into a Marshall speaker box.
His was quite a bit different from the stock version. It used some parts variations that Alexander changed to make it do what Ej wanted it to do."

"Well...interestingly enough I remember when he got it. Alexander had finished it finally and Ej was playing through it and it wasn't exactly what he had in mind...we were at his old shop in N. Hollywood at Amigo studios if I recall. He listened to Eric's comments and said oh...and he got a little pad out and wrote some things on it and sent Jerry Holmes to Radio Shack...in about 20 minutes after Jerry got back Alex had it up and running...after soldering like crazy...Ej plugged it in and it was like totally Ej...eric said what did you do...??? Alexander basically said.....you like crummy parts... My parts have too close of tolerances for what you are going for so I just got some parts with really sloppy wide tolerances and put them in some of the key places...and he kind of grinned."

"The SSS was purchased in the 90's by another very well known guitarist here as was the Odyssey and the ManZamp Preamp. This gentleman decided to part with the SSS and Eric was trying it out again. The amp had been regrooved by Alexander. He opted not to get it back in the end and I believe the amp has been sold to Carlos Santana. It is really a beast and very loud. Most of the time during the AVM period if you heard him live he wasn't using it anyway but rather using the preamp section to power the old Odyssey power amp because he preferred the sound of that pre section more than the ManZamp pre amp. The Odyssey was a 100w power amp and Ej had a very early prototype. I think it broke up a little easier and of course wasn't nearly so loud. The SSS is really stadium approved and even when dialed in...hardly distorts. He is looking for a little dirtier bit on the DR amps than what this actually does. He has acquired a very early ODS which he is toying with. VERY early...one could call IT a prototype."

Tony
bout be willin ta bet he chgd the plates to either CF or CC, and the fb resistor