Anyone compared the Emi Delta Pro to the neo Emi Deltalite?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Rob Livesey

Anyone compared the Emi Delta Pro to the neo Emi Deltalite?

Post by Rob Livesey »

Hi Chaps,

Seems like everyone is coming out with neo versions of their speakers.

I've recently housed my Fuchs ODS100 into a combo and with the Delta Pro in there it's quite heavy. Before I fork out the cash to try one, has anyone else tried the Neo ??

Cheers,
Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
greiswig

Re: Anyone compared the Emi Delta Pro to the neo Emi Deltalite?

Post by greiswig »

I haven't...but I'm curious as well. I have a Jensen Tornado that is pretty good, but I have no idea how it compares to the Emi, either. Folks coming to the Portland Dumblefest will have a chance to try out a pair of them in a cabinet if they like. (What's air fare from Heathrow?)
-g
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

greiswig wrote:I haven't...but I'm curious as well. I have a Jensen Tornado that is pretty good, but I have no idea how it compares to the Emi, either. Folks coming to the Portland Dumblefest will have a chance to try out a pair of them in a cabinet if they like. (What's air fare from Heathrow?)
I have Jensen Neo-12 100's in my old Pro Reverb and they are great in there. I've just got one for my Deluxe Reverb too after being so impressed by them.

Air fare to Portland .....? I'm sure that would be more expensive than a Delta-lite !

Cheers,
Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

Rob Livesey wrote:Air fare to Portland .....? I'm sure that would be more expensive than a Delta-lite !

Cheers,
Rob.
Yes, but you come to Oregon in March for the weather. :lol: I have a Tone King Metropolitan that I put the Tornado in. I actually like it a bit better in there than the 12-100 Neo I had before, but they are similar. The Tornado is a little less harsh, FWIW.

(We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programme) So...anyone try an Eminence Deltalite?
-g
oldmanmetal

Post by oldmanmetal »

I have, and currently use the Lite version. I prefer them over the Delta Pro regular version, not quite as dark, and sound more like the EV. The EV is my favorite speaker, and the Delta Lite gets me 95% of that tone at 7 lbs. I currently use 2 in a ported 2x12 cab, and has become my main cab. They requite about 80+ hours to break in properly, just like the EV and Delta. It is the only Neo speaker I have played I like. I have owned several of the different versions looking for THAT tone. I highly recommend them.
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

oldmanmetal wrote:I have, and currently use the Lite version. I prefer them over the Delta Pro regular version, not quite as dark, and sound more like the EV. The EV is my favorite speaker, and the Delta Lite gets me 95% of that tone at 7 lbs. I currently use 2 in a ported 2x12 cab, and has become my main cab. They requite about 80+ hours to break in properly, just like the EV and Delta. It is the only Neo speaker I have played I like. I have owned several of the different versions looking for THAT tone. I highly recommend them.
That is exactly what I hoped to hear. I love EV's too and the Delta Pro is just not quite as bright as an EV. Thanks for posting, I'll get one into the combo asap and hopefully report back soon.

Cheers,
Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
swt

Post by swt »

there's a pic around the net from john mayer's gear, the one with 4 2x12 with half open backs, and the one at the right botton has neo speakers...
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

swt wrote:there's a pic around the net from john mayer's gear, the one with 4 2x12 with half open backs, and the one at the right botton has neo speakers...
Yep, but those speaker units are Celestion neo classics.....and they are 'only' 1 out of 4 cabs of his total setup.

The two cabinets on top are loaded with Celestion Goldtone, alnico's - a higher wattage version of the ol' vox blue speakers - having a higher impact on his stage sound.

Some of the guys at Ceriatoneforum.com seems to prefer the Celestion Goldtone speaker, among others 'Pickmaster' aka 'Dr. Ika'
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
ericlee

Post by ericlee »

Hi folks,

Rob, I guess you are talking about 1x12 combo.
If so the best choice would be the Jensen Jet Tornado – 100w, 98db, 2kg.
Celestion G12 Century is discontinued and also it is only 80w. 102db tough!!!
But it is also to bright and only sounds good in 2x12 and fantastic in 4x12 closed back applications.
Current Celestion Century vintages are just 60w, 98db and also good for multispeaker applications only.

Hi Fendermanblues,
Celestion Gold is only 50w and also heavy.
Sounds great though.
I also highly recommend Fane AXA12 alnico – 100w, 101db, 4,5kg. GREAT speaker!

Cheers
groovtubin

Re: Anyone compared the Emi Delta Pro to the neo Emi Deltali

Post by groovtubin »

Rob Livesey wrote:Hi Chaps,

Seems like everyone is coming out with neo versions of their speakers.

I've recently housed my Fuchs ODS100 into a combo and with the Delta Pro in there it's quite heavy. Before I fork out the cash to try one, has anyone else tried the Neo ??

Cheers,
Rob.
used a Century classic neo celestion in a 100 watt HRM combo, in reverse polarity, it was SPECTACULAR in this config, stunk in fwd polarity.. Customer was BLOWN away....very toneful!!

Omegaamps
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

oldmanmetal wrote:I have, and currently use the Lite version. I prefer them over the Delta Pro regular version, not quite as dark, and sound more like the EV. The EV is my favorite speaker, and the Delta Lite gets me 95% of that tone at 7 lbs. I currently use 2 in a ported 2x12 cab, and has become my main cab. They requite about 80+ hours to break in properly, just like the EV and Delta. It is the only Neo speaker I have played I like. I have owned several of the different versions looking for THAT tone. I highly recommend them.
Just to offer a second opinion, I also have both. The Delta Pro 12A is a decent speaker IMHO. Lacking some of the high details of an EVM 12L, but a reasonable poor man's facsimile. I found the DeltaLite to be a different animal completely. Perhaps suited for a sound reinforcement application or a bass speaker as a woofer, but too dark on it's own to be used in a 1X12 guitar cab. Big disappointment to me. It's for sale. :cry:
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Have you considered a 2x12 open back if its too dark?
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
oldmanmetal

Post by oldmanmetal »

odourboy wrote:
Just to offer a second opinion, I also have both. The Delta Pro 12A is a decent speaker IMHO. Lacking some of the high details of an EVM 12L, but a reasonable poor man's facsimile. I found the DeltaLite to be a different animal completely. Perhaps suited for a sound reinforcement application or a bass speaker as a woofer, but too dark on it's own to be used in a 1X12 guitar cab. Big disappointment to me. It's for sale. :cry:[/quote

Mine are in a 2x12, and NOT too dark. I have tried the Jensens, Celestion, and other Eminence neo magnets. Been trying to find a substitute for years. The guys at Eminence suggested I try it, and he personally used them. The Delta Pro is a good speaker, I just did not like it as much as the EV. I feel the Delta Lite gets closer to the original.
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

Fortunately, neither of the Delta speakers is all that expensive. It's no big deal to buy a DeltaLite and give it a whirl. It didn't work for me (and don't get me wrong, I REALLY wanted it to! Who wouldn't want a decent EV replacement at 1/3 the price and 1/4 the weigh!!) but oldmanmetal has had success with it.
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
David Root

Post by David Root »

I have a slant half stack with four Pro 12A in it. Sounds fine to me, and it does not have the fizz you can get on the EV12L. My high end perception suffers from "oldtimerz" but I can still hear that EV fizz.