mesa studio 22 with eq

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jestaudio

mesa studio 22 with eq

Post by jestaudio »

Hi folks, i,m a newbie here and aftre having a good browse of the site decided you people may well be the best informed around to suggest mods to get my mesa close to a dumble tone, i,ve had a look at building one from scratch but concluded that it may be a little ambitious just at the moment
dave g

Re: mesa studio 22 with eq

Post by dave g »

jestaudio wrote: i,ve had a look at building one from scratch but concluded that it may be a little ambitious just at the moment
It would almost certainly be easier than converting a studio .22, and plus you get 2 nice clean amps rather than one hackjob :lol:
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

dave g wrote:
jestaudio wrote: i,ve had a look at building one from scratch but concluded that it may be a little ambitious just at the moment
It would almost certainly be easier than converting a studio .22, and plus you get 2 nice clean amps rather than one hackjob :lol:
not converting just tweaking a little bit, plus the scratch build is far more than a mere mortal living in the uk can affaord at the moment :)
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Its should be possible to do some tweaks to the .22 to get it closer to a Dumble sound....but you should consider gutting the chassis. Modding the PCB will be a pain in the neck.

The .22 has the boost in front of the clean preamp and is closer to a Mark I boogie (the Santana original) than to a Dumble. Other Boogies (like the Mark II B and Mark II C) are much closer to Dumble's designs.

So leave the EQ and the PSU and gut the rest.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
Bigwan

Post by Bigwan »

jestaudio wrote:the scratch build is far more than a mere mortal living in the uk can affaord at the moment :)
You might be pleasantly surprised. I'm half way through a scratch build at the minute (6L6 D'lite - all parts now purchased) and it's working out cheaper than I was expecting.
milkyBK370

Post by milkyBK370 »

Bigwan wrote:
You might be pleasantly surprised. I'm half way through a scratch build at the minute (6L6 D'lite - all parts now purchased) and it's working out cheaper than I was expecting.
Soon it will be mine *evil laugh*
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

The way mesa amps are built it's not an easy mod and tweek amp like a fender or early marshall. The boards are rather fragile and wires tend to break loose during repairs.

Other things to consider

The circuits are pretty different so no quick resistor or cap swap will get you in the ball park.

The Output transformer is probably wrong - 35watts voxish -
considering dumbles are 50 and 100 watt fenderish iron - then impedance....

The Output tubes are EL84's 9 Pin stock - Dumbles are 8 Pin

If you want to have a closer dumble tone you might want to consider using a Dumble style foot pedal and dial the amp back and run it flat, using the pedal to get the tone.

If the event you decide to build a clone. Instead of destroying your Mesa sell it, and use the $ to buy the correct parts. In the event you stop part way through your build you haven't destroyed a working amp, and what you have is still worth something to someone who dumbles.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
SoundPerf

Post by SoundPerf »

selloutrr wrote:If you want to have a closer dumble tone you might want to consider using a Dumble style foot pedal and dial the amp back and run it flat, using the pedal to get the tone.

If the event you decide to build a clone. Instead of destroying your Mesa sell it, and use the $ to buy the correct parts. In the event you stop part way through your build you haven't destroyed a working amp, and what you have is still worth something to someone who dumbles.
I have to say this is a pretty sensible suggestion.
Chris