Orange Drop 6PS vs Xicon MPP caps?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Joost

Re: 6PS Caps in Europe

Post by Joost »

honeydip wrote:Joost,

I was visiting the website you mentioned yesterday and found out that they do not offer 100nf Caps which you need in a dstyle build in PI and in the tonestack. Did you find them?

Regards

Jan
No I didn't find that one there, so for those caps, I ordered 716Ps
That way, most of the caps are 6PS caps, except for a few. Maybe I'll find some 6PS 100nF later and use them.
bluesfendermanblues

Re: Orange Drop 6PS vs Xicon MPP caps?

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

If you have the 716, 100n in the PI section, its not so bad, since this is where Dumble used (715 or 716) polypropylene caps from time to time.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
dogears

Post by dogears »

As for the .001uf on the bass pot, Dumble used ceramic there occasionally as well. So, I think this spot is not so important. If you want PS characteristic, use a Mallory 150 in its place.
pula58

Post by pula58 »

Hmmm... I just replaced two 0.047uF Xicon MPP caps (the two coupling caps that feed to the grids of the output tubes) with two 0.05uF Orange drop PS series caps. My immediate response is that the amp is now brighter and more harsh. But, it is hard to tell since a direct A/B is not possible. It could just be a "weird hearing" day (kind of like a bad hair day!). I don't know!

Do these caps need a break-in time period?

Am I hearing what one would expect??

Thanks!!

P.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

pula58 wrote:Hmmm... I just replaced two 0.047uF Xicon MPP caps (the two coupling caps that feed to the grids of the output tubes) with two 0.05uF Orange drop PS series caps. My immediate response is that the amp is now brighter and more harsh. But, it is hard to tell since a direct A/B is not possible. It could just be a "weird hearing" day (kind of like a bad hair day!). I don't know!

Do these caps need a break-in time period?

Am I hearing what one would expect??

Thanks!!

P.
Actually can get very close to an A/B test. Solder in some alligator clips into the eyelet and you can swap very fast, make sure to discharge the filters before touching or course.

I found Xicon's work well in that position, really smooth out the overall tone. 6PS tend to work well earlier in the signal chain, especially the tone stack. I took my amp to an open mike night tonight were I'm in the house band. Every guitarist who used commented on the smoothness of the overdrive. One guy went out to the car and got his SS Marshall cause my amp was too smooth. :lol: If I come across any extra cash I'm gonna buy him an ear.

Break in on caps, I've never noticed that they break in like speakers and tubes do but I guess it's possible.
talbany

Post by talbany »

I agree with several of the post's here.. I also like them as a Mid cap..
I find a kind of smoothing effect from them as well when used as PI couplers + serves up a tighter low end (vs the same value PS)..
They don't seem to have the big open midrange like the PS's do however sometimes an amp with all PS caps can be a bit mid heavy at times to some people (especially the Skyliners w/.01 mid cap) and a smattering of MPP's in the right spots can be a good way to voice it without changing the character too much
My.0002 cents.

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
tubedogsmith

Post by tubedogsmith »

talbany wrote:I agree with several of the post's here.. I also like them as a Mid cap..
I find a kind of smoothing effect from them as well when used as PI couplers + serves up a tighter low end (vs the same value PS)..
They don't seem to have the big open midrange like the PS's do however sometimes an amp with all PS's caps can be a bit mid heavy at times to some people (especially the Skyliners w/.01 mid cap) and a smattering of MPP's in the right spots can be a good way to voice it without changing the character too much
My.0002 cents.

Tony
Exactly my findings as well.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Well, I'll have some MMP, 6PS and 716P caps to experiment with