50w Bluesmaster in a Princeton Reverb chassis ? Possible?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pula58

50w Bluesmaster in a Princeton Reverb chassis ? Possible?

Post by pula58 »

Anyone every used a Princeton reverb chassis to make a 50W bluesmaster or ODS? I was looking inside my old Princeton reverb and thought: Hm..3 octal sockets and 4 9-pin preamp tube sockets...Could you use the 1st two octal sockets for 6L6's, and somehow convert the 3rd octal socket to a 9-pin preamp tube? Then, you'd have 5 preamp tubes: could even include reverb or an active effects loop!

Question is: any power supply trannies for 50W that would fit the princeton reverb chassis? The output tranny seems like it would be less of a problem..but..

Anyhow, has anyone out there ever done something like this before?

Thanks!

P.
David Root

Re: 50w Bluesmaster in a Princeton Reverb chassis ? Possible?

Post by David Root »

#13/#40 hybrid 50W ODS in BFPR chassis below. Uses '67 AB165 Bassman iron. Sounds awesome!.

You have to cut the PT cutout bigger, no way around that that I know of. Maybe someone makes a "Fat Stack" type that would fit the existing cutout but I doubt it. The difference between 15W and 50W is too much!

I used the fourth 9-pin socket for a buffered FX loop, works really well!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David Root on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Structo

Post by Structo »

No but the D'lite I built has a smaller chassis than a normal ODS so I know it can be done.

My D'lite used a Heyboer power transformer.
A typical laydown type.

It can get a bit crowded in there but it certainly can be done.

With the four noval socket holes you could certainly include a reverb or buffered loop internally.

How long is the Princeton chassis?

My chassis is about 17.25" long.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The Bassman chassis is perfect due to having correct PT cut size and enough holes for the tubes.

The Princeton would require enlarging the PT cutout or going with standup PT. Otherwise is large enough space for ODS.

I used a blank Princeton on my recent Dlite.

Mark
David Root

Post by David Root »

I used my "leftover" AB165 chassis and head to make my Bloozman, a four tube (5881) 60W Bluesmaster HRM with separate MVs for clean and OD channel and HRM tonestack on the faceplate.

Would have been easier to do it like Mark says but I just never seem to get it!

Tom, the BFPR chassis is 18 1/4" long.
pula58

Post by pula58 »

David Root - Yes, I see that the P.R. chassis is going to need some surgery in order to accept the bassman power supply tranny.

It looks like the Glaswerks Zingaro has the same dimensions as a Princeton reverb chassis. I wonder how Gary got the power supply tranny to fit? Custom chassis?
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

pula58 wrote:David Root - Yes, I see that the P.R. chassis is going to need some surgery in order to accept the bassman power supply tranny.

It looks like the Glaswerks Zingaro has the same dimensions as a Princeton reverb chassis. I wonder how Gary got the power supply tranny to fit? Custom chassis?
For sure
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Mojo and others will make custom chassis to your spec but 25 piece minimum.

Cheaper to get the Princeton or Bassman chassis and make your own faceplate. Use the original back plate. Adjust your layout to fit.

Option: For the Priceton chassis you could use Allen amps custom Heyboer PT for the Princeton, check out his website. It used to power a pair of EL34s. http://www.allenamps.com/parts.php#transformers He also has chassis for sale.

Upgrade Power Transformer for BF/SF Champ™, VibroChamp™, Bronco™, and Princeton™. 310V-0-310V @ 150ma, 6.3V at 4.5A, 5V at 2A. 50V bias tap, center-tapped heater winding and internal hum shield brought out to a lead for grounding. 2" by 2-1/2" mounting centers, 5.1lbs. Unit is approximately 1" taller than a stock transformer. Now supports the use of both 6L6 and EL34 power tubes (with proper socket wiring).

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

Check out Watts Audio for blank chassis.

http://www.turretboards.com/guitar_ampl ... _index.htm
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
pula58

Post by pula58 »

Structo wrote:Check out Watts Audio for blank chassis.

How difficult is it to create the tranny and tube cut-outs in a blank chassis? Not to mention the tone controls etc.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

pula58 wrote:How difficult is it to create the tranny and tube cut-outs in a blank chassis? Not to mention the tone controls etc.
How proficient are you with a drill?

You may use either a Unibit or chassis punches to make LARGE holes for tube sockets.

Aluminum is far easier to work than steel. Thick aluminum is sufficiently strong for the task.
rogb

Post by rogb »

pula58 wrote:
Structo wrote:Check out Watts Audio for blank chassis.

How difficult is it to create the tranny and tube cut-outs in a blank chassis? Not to mention the tone controls etc.
I did mine with a cone cut and a drill on a stand, it's better to use a chassis punch but if you only do one now and again, ally is easy to work :) Some filing and sanding, takes an afternoon or so, if I had an 8 or 9 tuber to do, definitely get the correct chassis punches though!
IEC socket is no problem with a Dremel cutting disc.

I would mark out your control holes from your finished front and rear faceplates (or exact templates of these) , this will make your life easier!
fp2000

Post by fp2000 »

In order to make perfectly aligned control holes, when you order your faceplates ask them to drill just a pilot hole and not the hole to fit the potentiometer. That way you can put the faceplate on top, hold it firmly in place with some tape and then drill the full holes. What i do is I drill one hole on each side, then attach the control pot, and then do the rest. Same for the back. For tube sockets I use a unibit, it works like a charm and it's fun, you can put some oil to make it even easier, then file the leftover burs.
Failure is not an option... it comes bundled with the kit.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ditto, I order my faceplate with pilot holes tape it to the chassis and drill.

Enlarge the faceplate and chassis pilot holes with a unibit. For the IEC I have a pattern I made out of cardboard and use that for each chassis. Drill a hole in each corner take the jigsaw and cut out. I used to use a cutoff wheel but no more. File to finished size and your done.

On a rare occasion I may use my Greenlee knockouts for tube sockets, mostly use the unibit. For the PT cutout if using laydown. I take cardboard and make a pattern around the PT using 4 strips of paper taped together around the PT. A paper hole punch makes the PT mounting bolt holes. I save that pattern for the next chassis.

Mark