Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

10thTx

PAB comparisons

Post by 10thTx »

I have used the D'Lite PAB schematic shown. It has a fairly significant
jump in volume and overdrive.

I have used Mat's PAB schematic shown & it has a milder jump in volume and overdrive.

I've realized that Mat's PAB is NOT doing the same thing as the #183 & #124 PAB switch ( which I have drawn withOUT the rock/jazz switch).

Am I thinking thru this correctly??

I am also wondering if 22M pretty well isolates a connection?

I notice on the 124/183 PAB that there is actually 44M to the wiper, but I think that would be about the same as no connection at all functionally?

AND can someone confirm that I have drawn the 124/183 PAB correctly
(without the rock/jazz switch), please?

I am using Mat's PAB in an amp currently and think I might rewire this to the #124 & #183 PAB.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greiswig

Re: PAB comparisons

Post by greiswig »

Resurrecting this thread...because I'm interested in the feedback, too.

In particular, trying to see if the way the D'Lite does it with half of a relay is about the same as the way #183 does it, which sounds nasal and not all that useful to me.
-g
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

I could never get any of the treble-to-bass interrupt circuits to be subtle enough. Now I just tie a switchable resistor at the bottom of the Mid pot. Much easier and I like the sound better. Certainly not HAD approved but ...

YMMV, Skip
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Another method you might like:
Tie the Mid and Bass grounds together and lift by 180k for boost.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Glaswerks Zingaro in the house, and I was surprised at how little I care for the PAB as implemented there (it's not Gary's design, it's Dr. D's). But it's a little trickier to experiment on a PCB-based amp.
-g
rogb

Post by rogb »

Thanks for the interesting comparisons.

I am going to try the #124 configuration on my 86 Special over the holidays and see how it compares. If not enough, I might try the Dlite configuration.

I always felt like I could use a touch more PAB. I will see how it sounds and report back
talbany

Post by talbany »

I don't get it..I have done several different methods upon request for others but for me personally I like the standard break the treble bass connection..It's a tad hot sitting in the studio with the amp in my face but out live and in a band setting works like a champ!!
I am also wondering if 22M pretty well isolates a connection?
Pretty much..

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

In particular, trying to see if the way the D'Lite does it with half of a relay is about the same as the way #183 does it, which sounds nasal and not all that useful to me.
My 183 does not sound nasal at all, but I have 4.7M resistors instead of 22M. It does have a relatively large volume jump and increase in OD.
Another method you might like:
Tie the Mid and Bass grounds together and lift by 180k for boost.
Henry - stock with no PAB, 183 has the mid pot tied directly to ground and the bass pot connected to ground through a 10k resistor. Do you mean tie the mid and bass pots together and connect that node to ground through the 180k resistor when the relay in one position and restore it back to stock in the other relay position? Can you elaborate on the change in sound? Or I can test it and find out for myself.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Yes leave the 10k and remove it's ground end connection. Tie that to the mid pots ground and then lift that by 180k (more or less according to the volume jump you want).
www.RedPlateAmps.com
angelodp

PAB

Post by angelodp »

H, in that scenario, what happens to the treble #1 connection that was used in the other PAB connection.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

I guess you could have both boosts - the alternate method does not separate the Bass and Treble, it's just a partial stack lift, if you do a full stack lift I think they call it the "MagaBoost".
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Another advantage of the putting the resistor on the bottom of the stack is that it only uses one half of the relay. I tie the resistor from the Mid Pot #1 lug directly to the buss bar and run another wire to the pole on the relay. The NC throw is grounded. You can use the other half of the relay to open the bright cap connection or lift the ground on a LNFB kill switch.

I think it was on a review of a 2nd gen hybrid that the author said there was a resistor lift on either side of of a DPDT panel switch -- one for the mid pot and the other for the bass. That way you could dial in the frequency of the boost. That amp had a stock PAB on the footswitch. sh
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Just tossing out ideas and options for PAB switching. I use this on my Tweed Overdrive Special. When the PAB is switched on, it switches in a tone control after a CF. It gives the amp a different sound and I use this feature quite a bit.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
da Geezer

Post by da Geezer »

10thTx wrote:Just tossing out ideas and options for PAB switching. I use this on my Tweed Overdrive Special. When the PAB is switched on, it switches in a tone control after a CF. It gives the amp a different sound and I use this feature quite a bit.

With respect, 10thtx
That should help smooth out the jump to PAB quite a bit.....I like that idea!

G
angelodp

very nice

Post by angelodp »

Ok I have the version that you were talking about Henry in my Dlite amp. Real nice. Its in my Redplate so my Dlite is ever migrating towards those values.
I did not throw a resistor on the connection to the relay so its a Major boost, but I am creating a small daughter board with a trimmer to dial that it. Much prefer this PAB/boost to the traditional one that breaks the treble to bass.

Thanks guys