Considering a Thiele Cab

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

kevster

Considering a Thiele Cab

Post by kevster »

...for my 50W #102 clone.

I have plans for a cab designed for an EV-12L. Does anyone have plans for a cab designed for a G12-65? I'm not sure which I'll go with.

Is the Thiele worth the trouble?
David Root

Re: Considering a Thiele Cab

Post by David Root »

For a small speaker it's hard to beat IMHO. If you like closed back ported tone. I don't see why you couldn't put a G12-65 in it.

I have two but I use an old EV12L in one and a new Fane Studio 12L in the other. The Fane is a Killer speaker, similar to the EV but a little less hair.
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

Not a fan of this cab for a Dumble
unless your mic'ing it thru another source , It's very focused & bottom heavy
The 1/12/2/12 open back dumble style cab work so much better to my ear's
(with the correct speakers)
Last edited by Mac Daddy on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

Mac Daddy wrote:Not a fan of this cab for a Dumble
unless your mic'ing it thru another source , It's very focused & bottom heavy
The 1/12/2/12 open back dumble style cab works so much better to my ear's
(with the correct speakers)
I'm with Mac Daddy on this one - I have tried many speakers in my Thiele 1x12, wanting to like it, but he's right, too bottom heavy and focused/tight with the EV12L, doesn't sound good at all with the G12-65. I occasionally use it for very low volume rehearsals with the EV if it's all I have around and it's fine, otherwise a 1x12 oval cutout open back with G12-65 is my favorite in the 1x12 category.
Bill
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

Example
TR Sig 1/12 Vintage 1978 E120 JBL going thru a one of two made TKT 183 Quinn Dumble Clone's

http://youtu.be/gDW4BJfgDBo
kevster

Post by kevster »

What kind of sent me down the path of considering it was a closed back cab would be a good thing for my playing situations. Of course, a 1 X 12 closed cab isn't something I would even consider (I've never heard 1X 12 closed back that I really liked for guitar), but a Thiele would direct all the sound in one direction and would be a little more full at lower volumes (from what I've read). I'm also through a PA all the time, so no issues.

An oval port would dampen the sound behind and minimize it in two directions instead of three, but is the next option I had for keeping a lid on volume.

Tough compromise here: Maximum tone and minimum volume hit the audience. The cab will be somewhat isolated, but not as much as I'd prefer so as to "let the dog hunt". Unleashing the thing to get some good saturation and natural compression is tough in a church setting.

Well, I'll see how this unfolds. I'm pretty well set on building it myself... Maybe I'll get creative and see if I can do a cab with a port cover? Think that'll work? If I'm at lower volumes the bass probably won't be an issue. If I'm cranking it a little higher, I'll let it breathe. Feasible? Seems to me like something doable with a little forethought.

Thanks y'all Again, Comments?
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

kevster wrote:What kind of sent me down the path of considering it was a closed back cab would be a good thing for my playing situations. Of course, a 1 X 12 closed cab isn't something I would even consider (I've never heard 1X 12 closed back that I really liked for guitar), but a Thiele would direct all the sound in one direction and would be a little more full at lower volumes (from what I've read). I'm also through a PA all the time, so no issues.

An oval port would dampen the sound behind and minimize it in two directions instead of three, but is the next option I had for keeping a lid on volume.

Tough compromise here: Maximum tone and minimum volume hit the audience. The cab will be somewhat isolated, but not as much as I'd prefer so as to "let the dog hunt". Unleashing the thing to get some good saturation and natural compression is tough in a church setting.

Well, I'll see how this unfolds. I'm pretty well set on building it myself... Maybe I'll get creative and see if I can do a cab with a port cover? Think that'll work? If I'm at lower volumes the bass probably won't be an issue. If I'm cranking it a little higher, I'll let it breathe. Feasible? Seems to me like something doable with a little forethought.

Thanks y'all Again, Comments?
It might work for you in that setting, I would assume if you are playing in church then it's a large room and the extra bottom end wouldn't hurt you. If you are building cabinets yourself, I would suggest doubling up and building a Thiele and an open back 1x12 at the same time, twice the fun :-) There's a thread here somewhere on building the Thiele with lots of great photos. I built mine the same way with the false wall inside to keep the volume correct but match the width of my head.
Bill
kevster

Post by kevster »

If not two cabs, maybe two backs to see which one I like before I finish the thing off!!! That'd work fine. My wife might be concerned if I carry too many things into our house!!! :roll: :)

Any science behind the oval?
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

I'm a little more upbeat on the Thiele than Bill or Mac daddy. On the plus side, it's hard to get a bigger sound in such a small package and you can't beat a ported design for efficiency. With the right speaker, I think they can sound great.

My complaints about the TL806 are that it because of it's tuning, it only works with a limited number of speakers. It's also hard to mic. As far as being bass heavy - certainly can be. I orient mine with the port away from the floor.

I only use it with the port fully open (I think it was referred to as degraded tuning mode). Even then, it's still not compatible with many of the speakers I like, so I've moved away from that design for the most part.
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
kevster

Post by kevster »

odourboy wrote:I'm a little more upbeat on the Thiele than Bill or Mac daddy. On the plus side, it's hard to get a bigger sound in such a small package and you can't beat a ported design for efficiency. With the right speaker, I think they can sound great.

My complaints about the TL806 are that it because of it's tuning, it only works with a limited number of speakers. It's also hard to mic. As far as being bass heavy - certainly can be. I orient mine with the port away from the floor.

I only use it with the port fully open (I think it was referred to as degraded tuning mode). Even then, it's still not compatible with many of the speakers I like, so I've moved away from that design for the most part.
That sets up a logical question, is there a design (that's available here or on the web) that is "better" than the TL806?
talbany

Post by talbany »

That sets up a logical question, is there a design (that's available here or on the web) that is "better" than the TL806
Several years back I did an A/B comparison with a Thiele and 1X12 Alf ported cab Tony King had in his stage rig..IMHO the Alf cab blew it away..Bigger tighter focused low end w/ detailed mids..This was not a subtle difference either..Hands down for me one of the best and biggest sounding 1X12 cabs I have heard so far.. Props to Alf ..IMO the Thiele cabs are good sounding cabs but in my book wouldn't consider it the beat all end all cab for a D-Style amp that puts out a nice fat low end..

Hope this helps!!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

That looks to be a clean, compact, decent value.

Thanks.

http://www.vendio.com/stores/HermidaAud ... id=2391625

What speakers are recommended for this setup?
ericlee

Post by ericlee »

kevster wrote:That sets up a logical question, is there a design (that's available here or on the web) that is "better" than the TL806?
Probably, try this
http://www.hermitcab.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=64
kevster

Post by kevster »

The Hermit Cab products are REALLY intiguing!! Thanks!
Mac Daddy

Post by Mac Daddy »

ericlee wrote:
kevster wrote:That sets up a logical question, is there a design (that's available here or on the web) that is "better" than the TL806?
Probably, try this
http://www.hermitcab.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=64
Very interesting even though this type of design cab has been used by many builder's in the past
But is a great way too find & mix and match your tone requirement's
for different room environment's your playing in