Speaking of cheep

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bob-I

Speaking of cheep

Post by Bob-I »

Check out this ebay store, especally for the knobs. Very low prices and the quality is ok.

http://stores.ebay.com/reduction-musica ... esstQQtZkm
Bob-I

Re: Speaking of cheep

Post by Bob-I »

I just got a shipment of knobs from these guys. Decent quality, as good as any chicken head knobs I've bought for much more money. I also got 3 colors of the little round knobs for my gigging amp so I can see what's what easily in the dark.

My little 2 1/2 year old foster daughter helped me change them last night. When we got done she turned all the knobs to 10... what a kid :lol: Anyone need a roadie?
mat

Post by mat »

My little 2 1/2 year old foster daughter helped me change them last night. When we got done she turned all the knobs to 10... what a kid :lol: Anyone need a roadie?
=o)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
mat
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Just ordered a pack of 12 for myself:) Gonna look weird on a fender head..but i like em more than the fenders anyway:)
Hey man, you're leanin on my dream......
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Icetech wrote:Just ordered a pack of 12 for myself:) Gonna look weird on a fender head..but i like em more than the fenders anyway:)
Tone is in the chicken head knobs. The cheep one's have a nice grainy overdrive where the more expensive one's have more punch. :roll:
jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

Guys,
beware, I got a pack or two of them chicken knobs and jewel lamps and jewel lamps before it was discovered on this forum.

The brass inserts in the knobs are milled for exactly 1/4" POT shafts - there's no allowance for adjustments even though there's a screw inserted.

Some of the jewel lamps don't work. Think there's a serious lack of QC here. I think they could be surplus or rejects.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

at $4 for 12.. if 8 work im happy.. but thanks for the heads up:) figured they wouldn't be great quality...

I actually wanted the white ones with red stripe.. but im cheap.. every penny i save here is another resistor down the road...
jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

The white with stripes were the ones I got. Some of them missing screws, one was dirty.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

ouch.. sucks to hear that.. will see how mine are when they show...
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Who cares. The quality isn't great but I have the same issues with the $1.25 each knobs I've been buying. So far all the one's I installed were fine.
Normster

Post by Normster »

I must have ordered the wrong ones. The inserts on mine were smaller than 1/4" so I couldn't use them. I tried reaming them out but it was more trouble than it was worth. I guess you just have to make sure that it says 1/4", NOT 6MM (which is .236").
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Normster wrote:I must have ordered the wrong ones. The inserts on mine were smaller than 1/4" so I couldn't use them. I tried reaming them out but it was more trouble than it was worth. I guess you just have to make sure that it says 1/4", NOT 6MM (which is .236").
I'm having the same problem, but I just put them in a vice with some cloth around them, then drilled it out. Took about 2 seconds each and now they work fine.
jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

Haven't tried the vice method, but they are exactly 1/4". If you have solid 1/4" shaft pots, they won't work - they'll only work with knurled shafts.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Just got my chickenheads from this seller... they looks much better than i expected.. will have to see if they fit when i get home:) wish i had ordered bout 3 times more now that i see them though:(
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

i ordered some of those. the ones i received only fit 6mm pots. tried to drill em out, and the inserts would turn inside the knob.

i suggest going somewhere else. wasted $25.00 on those guys.

germ