Ry Cooder's Borderline Special

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: Ry Cooder's Borderline Special

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:08 pm
Now the only thing that needs addressing is the Intensity that at Zero kills the master too, so I get no volume in the amp.
Well, you don't have the INT wired according to the schematic. Recheck carefully. The wiper of the INT does not go to the MV.

There's gonna be a drop in guitar signal (gain) because you are putting a 250K pot parallel to your MV pot. A larger INT pot and/or a resistor between the INT and MV pots can help with that. But it's too soon to start juggling that. Wait on the VTL5C1.
Well pointed out, reversed them on the pot and no more issues.

Thanks, I am anxiously awaiting and cannot wait to try to VTL
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Can you live with the amount of gain the amp has with the INT set to zero?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:27 pm Can you live with the amount of gain the amp has with the INT set to zero?
I will spend some time with it tomorrow and compare with and without the INT in the circuit and will report back. But seemed like a subtle drop, so might be fine
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:27 pm Can you live with the amount of gain the amp has with the INT set to zero?
Hi Steve, so I spent some time with the amp over the weekend, and was constantly going back and forth between the amp with the tremolo disconnected from the circuit and with the tremolo in the circuit.

I prefer the sound of the amp without the tremolo. With the tremolo in, the gain drops and it loses a lot of high end too. I think the 250K and 1M in parallel are making the master somewhere around 200K. But I want to check how the tremolo will behave with Intensity at 250K before amending anything. On my Fender tremolo, what I did is to leave it disconnected always, via a SPST 50K pot and only add it to the circuit when I need to use the tremolo..I could do something similar on this one...

I hope the VTL will be here either today or tomorrow and we can addess this after I test the tremolo.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Back at this, I received the VTL today, referred back to the spec sheet for the cathode on the LED side.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/87223.pdf

Connected the VTL to the circuit, I can only hear the tremolo with intensity past 3 o’clock and from 4 o’clock is where the Speed rage starts getting great. I am at 225V but also tried much higher from the screens with same results.

I guess I need a 220k resistor as a minimum range on intensity between the pot left lug and ground? Or do I up the pot value?

EDIT: I added the 220k resistor, the only difference is that the effect starts at 2 o’clock instead of 3 o’clock, but adding a 1M instead of the 220k had no increase in the range
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

You didn't leave the red LED connected did you? The plus lead of the VTL5C1 must connect to the tube. Accidently connecting the minus lead to the tube (even briefly) will likely kill the LED inside the VTL5C1.

The INT pot should have ZERO effect on the SPEED pot. I'm beginning to think this amp doesn't want you to put tremolo in it! :mrgreen:
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:22 am You didn't leave the red LED connected did you? The plus lead of the VTL5C1 must connect to the tube. Accidently connecting the minus lead to the tube (even briefly) will likely kill the LED inside the VTL5C1.

The INT pot should have ZERO effect on the SPEED pot. I'm beginning to think this amp doesn't want you to put tremolo in it! :mrgreen:
Yes, the amp is refusing to get a tremolo hehe. No I removed the LED

This is as is now. Cathode with yellow (footswitch), the other side of the LED at 10k (the opposite side of the ground - going to the tube). On the resistor side the triangle where the 2 resistors meet is ground and red goes to the INT pot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

...also maybe I didn’t explain well. The intensity does not influence the speed, but I can only hear the effect if the intensity is above 2 o clock. Below that the speed has no effect as I cannot hear the tremolo
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

There's nothing wrong with the voltages on the oscillator. If the red LED flashed then the VTL5C1 should work. No need to experiment further with that.

Play with the LDR side of the VTL5C1. What happens if you disconnect the ground connection on the INT pot? Trem should go to max intensity.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm There's nothing wrong with the voltages on the oscillator. If the red LED flashed then the VTL5C1 should work. No need to experiment further with that.

Play with the LDR side of the VTL5C1. What happens if you disconnect the ground connection on the INT pot? Trem should go to max intensity.
With the Intensity pot not grounded at all, the tremolo starts being audible at around 12 o’clock. At 11 o’clock is very very subtle. At 9 o’clock the Speed barely makes a difference

Here is speed and intensity at 12 o’clock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

And here with the Intensity at 3 o’clock. I start with speed at Max, then I go to half and at the end to min, all with intensity unchanged. Much better and audible range when Intensity is pushed. Maybe I need a 100K or 50K Intensity pot like Fender?

You will hear footsteps as I was recording :lol: (sorry)
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Nothing wrong with that. You just gotta experiment with different pots. You may even need a reverse audio taper.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:51 pm Nothing wrong with that. You just gotta experiment with different pots. You may even need a reverse audio taper.
Great, any suggestions to start with? I don’t think I have any RA but can source, no problem
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Just tried 100KB but I cannot hear any tremolo with it
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

You can experiment with 1/2W resistors. Connect the VTL5C1 output directly to your master volume pot. Then clip in different resistors between the VTL5C1 output and ground. A 47K would represent a 50K INT pot set to max, a 1M pot would represent a 1M INT pot set to max, etc. Once you determine the value of resistor that works best for you, then wire in the appropriate value pot according to the schematic. I would start with a linear taper. If you get too much INT change in the first part of rotation, change to a audio taper. If you don't get much INT change until the last part of rotation, change to a reverse audio taper.

The trem sounded pretty nice to me on the last sound clip.