EVM-12S?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dingleberry

EVM-12S?

Post by Dingleberry »

Hi.
Does any of you have experience with that speaker?
I'm planning to build a thiele-style cab and I could get one EVM-12S for 100€. How would it sound in that style cab?
How does the price sound? I have absolutely no experience with EV speakers so any info is very helpful.
I see lots of dumble guys using EVM-12L so that's why I posted this on this section. Maybe someone is using EVM-12S model also.
Thank's already.

-T
Luthierwnc

Re: EVM-12S?

Post by Luthierwnc »

go for it. That seems like a fair price if you don't have to recone it. That and the Altec 417 were HAD favorites. 12L's came later. sh
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

Great to hear. Then I might grab it. It is supposed to be all original, not reconed. Now I just have to decide if I build a Dumble-style oval cut open back or thiele-style cab...
Opinions on that?

I found the datasheets from EV for both EVM-12L and EVM-12S. Not a big difference between those two. A bit different low end and upper midrange response. I've been wanting a simple 1x12" cab with high wattage rating a long time so this might be my answer.
-T
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

For a 1X I'd go Thiele.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Luthierwnc wrote:For a 1X I'd go Thiele.
Seconded. The tl806 packs a big sound in a small package.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

I'll contact the seller tomorrow and ask a little more details about that speaker. What I came across is that there are couple different speakers with EVM-12S label. If it's the 200W model (preferably 8ohms) then it might be just what I'm after. What about the TL806 cab material? Solid pine and baffle from Finnish birch plywood?
-T
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

The 12L has a better sound imo. I like the 12s, but it has a colored sound.
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

butwhatif wrote:The 12L has a better sound imo. I like the 12s, but it has a colored sound.
"Better" sounds a bit too broad expression to me as we all feel and hear the "Better" different ways.
Can you please tell me a little more details how did you felt it was colored?
From the frequency curve charts I see it has a bit different upper mid/high end response and different low end response too.
But as we all know, ears matter in a real life situation, not frequency curve charts.

I've read really mixed user comments of that speaker from the almighty internet. Others seem to like it and others not at all. Some say it is brighter than 12L and some say it is mellower and smoother than 12L. I'm kind of confused right now.

I would really appreciate some real life user experience.

I contacted the seller and it is the 200W/8ohm version.

-T
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

According to our esteemed friend Brandon (Funkalicousgroove):

"Regarding the EVM-12L:

It is my understanding (from a VERY reliable source) that the EVM-12L was actually Howard's third choice, The first being the Altec 417 8H (Ceramic not Alnico) then the Electrovoice EVM-12s, then the EVM-12L. the 12S has a resonant frequency of 70Hz vs the 55Hz of the 12L.
"

I can't find the post now, but I seem to recall somewhere Scott Lerner (dogears) mentioned that he preferred the 12S to the 12L.
I've personally never tried the 12S but I love the 12L.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

crbowman wrote:I can't find the post now, but I seem to recall somewhere Scott Lerner (dogears) mentioned that he preferred the 12S to the 12L.
I've personally never tried the 12S but I love the 12L.
I played through Scott's 12S and 12L next to each other, although they were in different cabs. I felt the 12L was more articulate and balanced from top to bottom, Scott thought I was crazy or deaf ...or both. He prefers the 12S.
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

I have both speakers. The 12L wins out a little on clean tones to my ears, particularly in the high end. The 12S wins out overall.

...but then I'm really leaning more toward G12-65's anyway.
-g