New ReleaSSSes

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: New ReleaSSSes

Post by Structo »

The info on the video says that Terry grabbed a 335 and started noodling.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

Structo wrote:The info on the video says that Terry grabbed a 335 and started noodling.
Thanks Tom, I didn't see that at first.
Bill
bigwebb83

Post by bigwebb83 »

Structo wrote:The info on the video says that Terry grabbed a 335 and started noodling.

good catch. Sounds great...
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Sounds really nice. I like the touch of smooth grit.
Max

Post by Max »

David Root wrote: Not sure if he always used direct coupled CFs in these. I've seen '50s designs with direct coupled PI and cap coupled CF drivers, which seems bass ackwards to me.
AFAIK Alexander Dumble didn't always use inverter / driver configurations with driver tubes direct coupled to the grids of the power tubes in his guitar amps. You'll meet cap coupled drivers in his guitar amps, too. And AFAIK the 100W Odyssey power amps with cap coupled drivers have been used far more often by guitar players (Eric Johnson, Jay Graydon etc.) than by bass players. So IMO cap coupled = bass amp and direct coupled = guitar amp might be an inappropriate simplification - at least in regard to Dumble amps.

Cheers,

Max
Max

Post by Max »

Here's a clip of an original Dumble Steel String Singer: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 208#221208

Cheers,

Max
mobisimo

Post by mobisimo »

Thanks all for the quality content and discussion! This thread is a real treat and the featured amps sound great.

A quick question: can anyone see a reason why it wouldn't be possible to develop the appropriate bias for the dc follower using 80s twin iron, which uses a bridge rectifier, simply by adjusting the 3k3 series resistor off one side of the PT secondary? I have an old twin that's beggin for an overhaul...

Many thanks,
Mo
jonathanpierceband

Post by jonathanpierceband »

Hey guys I love this thread. I recently joined the forum after playing a Two Rock Sterling Sig and a Dumble from a collector. Of course that altered my life so I joined some forums. After reading “everything” on the internet and watching “every” youtube video i could find I wanted to make a webpage that pays homage to the SSS and all the clone makers in a non forum format. If anyone wants to help let me know. Love everything you guys are doing. The site is SteelStringSinger.com
I just started working on it today so...

I’m also a Nashville country rock artist and played before Goo Goo Dolls and Warren Haynes this summer at Ascend Amphitheater. JonathanPierceBand.com
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Greetings. As you can see from what has been shared here, there is still a lot of mystery surrounding the SSS. It'd be great if you can sort out more of the details, but I think it's going to be an uphill battle. Tech's that have seen one or two are not sharing much info, and those that are building replicas are keeping the details to themselves. As with any product that is easily built using off-the-shelf components and a bit of technical skill, sellers are wary of competition springing up. Owner/collectors aren't going to be very willing to help either, as they have a vested interest in maintaining the cachet and thus the astronomical prices paid for these things. This site owes its existence to people who have worked together to reverse-engineer some of the most unique instrument amplifiers on the planet. Unfortunately, members who "turn pro" immediately cease contributing technical information to the forum, and there have been a number of cases where someone will show up to take what they can from these pages, then run off to hang out a URL to sell amps. Most of the sellers listed on your new site fit into one or the other of those categories. No disrespect; that's just the way it is. The replica SSS amps documented here are based on the best available information and a fair bit of guesswork, and I applaud those members who have taken the plunge and spent the money to take a shot at building one. I don't think I'll be getting a good look at a real Dumble SSS anytime soon, but I do hope you can find some people willing to help you document them. I'm sure there is more information out there.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Martin, I've been thinking the same. I guess some info will surface based on secondary sources (clones) though
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s