New ReleaSSSes

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Max

Re: New ReleaSSSes

Post by Max »

David Root wrote:Is this chassis #001?
AFAIK this isn't SSS #001. AFAIK this is the chassis of a Dumbleland 150W with tremolo, reverb and two 6267 tubes (no filter section). I've attached a picture of what AFAIK is the front of this Dumbleland 150W and a picture of what AFAIK is its chassis on Alexander Dumble's bench.

picture source: http://web.archive.org/web/200802091812 ... ble-e.html

In regard to Dumble amps I would recommend never to forget this:

"Basically, I've kept the Overdrive the same but the other models are open to flexibility." Guitar Player Magazine - September 1985

source of this quote: http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble/ - "Articles"

Cheers,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

passfan wrote:If he wants to take credit for sharing he can. I can only post 5 at a time as they are high res.
You took the better pics, Passfan! I'm just happy to have my new amp to play around with a little! Unfortunately I'm in the beginning of a long distance move and won't be building again for many months. I'm trying to squeeze in what little play time I can. I think this is a great thread and hope people continue to share. I, for one, very much appreciate the knowledge being shared and I'm learning a lot from the discussion. Eventually I plan to create my own clean, single channel amp with reverb, hopefully in a smaller footprint, if possible, using one of my spare donor amps. These SSS designs make for a monster sized amp, unfortunately.
---------
Bryan
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

talbany wrote:
vibratoking wrote:Since the genie is partially out of the bottle - SSS #4. No guarantee of accuracy. Some questions may be answered by comparing both.
Well now since I worked with Bill on this schematic I have a right to say that we never intended it to be posted and now I see it's made the rounds and ended up posted here really pisses me off!!..You can't trust anyone!!.. I think I'll take a break from this place for a while..Later!!

Tony
Tony, I have given every piece of information I have ever received to this community. I am sorry you are upset, I feel you have made valid contributions to this community. But splitting this community into those deserving of information, and those not deserving of information, is just what it is on face value, splitting the community.

How many people that have contributed their hard work to validating schematics are on the non inclusion list?

And I would also call out all those "in the know," Nik, Andy, Jelle, Brandon, even Dr Z. How would you measure the balance between what you've taken from this board, versus what you've given?

Not trying to be an asshole, just wondering which people think they gave more than they received, I'm certainly not one.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

sonicmojo wrote: You took the better pics, Passfan! I'm just happy to have my new amp to play around with a little! Unfortunately I'm in the beginning of a long distance move and won't be building again for many months. I'm trying to squeeze in what little play time I can. I think this is a great thread and hope people continue to share. I, for one, very much appreciate the knowledge being shared and I'm learning a lot from the discussion. Eventually I plan to create my own clean, single channel amp with reverb, hopefully in a smaller footprint, if possible, using one of my spare donor amps. These SSS designs make for a monster sized amp, unfortunately.
Sonic, just want to thank you for those hires pics. Bringing a bunch of eyes will no doubt result in variations to suit every need.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Max. thank you again. That must be a monstrously huge chassis for a 150W OT to look that small! From the pic of the amp itself it is obviously pretty large.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

WOW!!!!!!!!!

A big thank you to everyone.

I've been staring endlessly at combing a Skyline tonestack with a Two Rock Reverb into an Odyssey Power Amp. Could never figure out the reverb.

I've got a five day weekend, I know what I'll be building now!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Let's see where there is some consensus on the current #002 schematic?

Let's break it down into sections & get some vote that it either looks correct/reasonable ............ or there is an obvious error.

1) FET

2) V1a to V1b including tonestack

3) V1b to V2a which includes the high & low pass filter (and perhaps some
type of local negative feeback?)

4) V2 to V3 including the 1MA Level and passive effects loop (buffer?)

5) Reverb section including insertion points

6) Negative feedback (off LTPI)

7) LTPI into 12BH7 driver to power tubes

8 bias control

9) PT & B+ rail

IF you would PLEASE, (when you respond) list 1 thru 9 and for each section, ......state Yes/OK ...... OR list the section #/number with a suggested correction.

Let's see what we can do to finalize a DRAFT for #002. There has been some great community forum effort, maybe we can finish this out with a working prototype that someone can build?

I'll try to watch the responses and update the schematic with corrections.
With respect, 10thtx
passfan

Post by passfan »

It appears to me that Nick is taking the LNFB from the grid of a triode off V2. Perhaps if sonicmojo has time he could comment on it's effect on the tone. I feel , from playing the amp, that the filters are useable, if not correct and it's a shame that Nick hot glued the caps together . I'd love to see the values but it may have cut down on noise or microphonics. Taken as a whole it would be "Nicks take". Individually it may provide some missing links.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
Max

Post by Max »

David Root wrote:That must be a monstrously huge chassis for a 150W OT to look that small! From the pic of the amp itself it is obviously pretty large.
AFAIK the dimensions of this 6267 Dumbleland 150W are the usual ones for a Dumbleland 150W with the exception of some early ones which have less width but more depth. Beginning with AFAIK #009 the dimensions of a Dumbleland 150W chassis are AFAIK the same as the dimensions of a SSS 150W chassis and an ODS 150W chassis.

To perhaps give you an even better visual impression of the dimensions of a Dumbleland 150W in relation to a more familiar ODS 100W and a Dumble 2x12" cabinet I've attached a picture from Bill Morgan’s site that shows an ODS 150W on top of a Dumble 2x12" cabinet and this 6267 Dumbleland 150W on top of a Dumble 4x12" cabinet. On the right there's one of the earlier Dumbleland Special 150W amps which have less width but more depth. And on top of the ODS 150W and the 6267 Dumbleland 150W there's a 5th generation "skyline" ODS 100W. As you can see, the ODS 150W and the 6267 Dumbleland 150W have the same width as the long side of a Dumble 2x12" cabinet. If you compare this picture with pictures of one of SRV's SSS 150W amps you'll see that the dimensions of SRV's SSS 150W amps are the same as the dimensions of the 6267 Dumbleland 150W and the ODS 150W on the attached picture.

picture source: http://web.archive.org/web/200802091812 ... ble-e.html

Cheers,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaisleyTube

Post by PaisleyTube »

Just thinking out loud :)

what about the pretty low B+ voltage? Did experiment with directly driven CFs before and this could be a "nice project" (lol) so to say.
Chris
Love, peace & loudness!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I've started tracing the Ceriatone SSS.

I'm still working on the filter section, but how does the rest look.

I've left out the Jazz/Rock cause I never use the Jazz and like the mid switch more.

My eyes are like this :shock: Gotta go to bed

Aaron
talbany

Post by talbany »

Tony, I have given every piece of information I have ever received to this community. I am sorry you are upset, I feel you have made valid contributions to this community. But splitting this community into those deserving of information, and those not deserving of information, is just what it is on face value, splitting the community.
I really don't think of it in terms of those deserving of information..That Never enters my mind!!.. I think of of it as honoring the request of others who might not want to have this information posted...Now I am in a tough spot..Get it

Back to the SSS

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
markusw

Post by markusw »

10thTx wrote:Let's see where there is some consensus on the current #002 schematic?

Let's break it down into sections & get some vote that it either looks correct/reasonable ............ or there is an obvious error.

1) FET

2) V1a to V1b including tonestack

3) V1b to V2a which includes the high & low pass filter (and perhaps some
type of local negative feeback?)

4) V2 to V3 including the 1MA Level and passive effects loop (buffer?)

5) Reverb section including insertion points

6) Negative feedback (off LTPI)

7) LTPI into 12BH7 driver to power tubes

8 bias control

9) PT & B+ rail

IF you would PLEASE, (when you respond) list 1 thru 9 and for each section, ......state Yes/OK ...... OR list the section #/number with a suggested correction.

Let's see what we can do to finalize a DRAFT for #002. There has been some great community forum effort, maybe we can finish this out with a working prototype that someone can build?

I'll try to watch the responses and update the schematic with corrections.
With respect, 10thtx
Compared to the hand drawn schematics I only found:

2) deep switch: the 10k tail is missing;
3) low filter: connection pole to "green" via 270k is missing

Didn't check 9 so far

Regards,

Markus
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Compared to the hand drawn schematics I only found:

2) deep switch: the 10k tail is missing;
3) low filter: connection pole to "green" via 270k is missing

Didn't check 9 so far
Thanks Markusw! I appreciate the help!!!

I'll wait for a few more responses and then post a #5 revision of #002.

With respect, 10thtx
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Aaron wrote:I've started tracing the Ceriatone SSS.

I'm still working on the filter section, but how does the rest look.

I've left out the Jazz/Rock cause I never use the Jazz and like the mid switch more.

My eyes are like this :shock: Gotta go to bed

Aaron
It's interesting that the Ceriatone doesn't have any DC-coupled cathode followers. I was rereading Merlin's discussion of the CF last night, about how it introduces compression and second harmonic distortion, and thought it was responsible for the 'mojo' of the SSS.

Thanks for posting.