Change in level with the jazz rock switch?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Change in level with the jazz rock switch?

Post by Mark »

Hi

I have wired up the amp for a jazz rock switch, I'm finding there is a significant drop in signal level in jazz mode. Is this normal?
Last edited by Mark on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
telentubes

Re: Change in level with the jazz rock switch?

Post by telentubes »

I only have experience with the one 50 watt I've built, but I do get a volume drop from "rock" to "jazz", although it's not huge.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think it was that huge, but it significantly impacted upon the OD distortion levels.

I'm not sure the Jazz Rock switch is really a keeper. Personally I could live without it.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Mark wrote:Hi

I have wired up the amp for a jazz rock switch, I'm finding there is a significant drop in signal level in jazz mode. Is this normal?
No, it's not.

TM
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

I get a definite feel that it is cutting highs and overall volume a "bit". It may be a bit of perception due to frequencies and may depend on your overall settings - are you cranked or bedroom levels? if you are using extra stuff in the chain like a D-Lator it may be less pronounced. Based on what you are saying, it sounds like what I get.
---------
Bryan
Mark

Post by Mark »

I read Mike's reply and decided to look at it again. I had encountered a batch of dud DPDT switches so it might have been one of those. The switch measures fine and the wiring is correct.

I'm normally using D-lator, though if I get the EQ right I don't really need it, though the compression and the bright switches are nice to use as they offer some nice tonal options.

It is a bit of a head scratcher. The amp is sounding very nice, my brother just heard it and approved of the sound with both a Les Paul and my Strat.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ayan

Post by ayan »

Mark wrote:Hi

Contrary to what has been said before in response to your question, yes it is. There is a signal drop and in addition, the bass pot wiper is no longer tied to the CW lug. If you turn your bass upwards of say 7, maybe you will not hear that great a signal level difference. I sincerely don't know why I keep the J/R switch in my amps. I have never used mine deliberately, but once time I "used it" in error during a gig. My tone was thin and I was suprised at how quiet my rig was for normal settings and after all was said and done, I realized I had been in jazz mode all night long.

Cheers,

Gil
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Gil. that is quite funny, I can put myself in that situation where I'd be wondering what was I doing wrong. I think the J/R switch is the first thing I'd lose. Though I haven't tried the deep switch yet.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ayan

Post by ayan »

Mark wrote:Thanks Gil. that is quite funny, I can put myself in that situation where I'd be wondering what was I doing wrong. I think the J/R switch is the first thing I'd lose. Though I haven't tried the deep switch yet.
Hey Mark,

I take it you're building a "classic" tone stack amp? I used to play those and had the Deep Switch, which was actually usable. The effect is subtle but it works - think of it as making a 1x12 sound a bit more like a 2x12 - and it makes the PAB sound a little softer, which some people may find desirable. Now, after having switched to Skyliners, I really haven't looked back, but I don't use the Mid Switch on the Skyliners - or the J/R or the bright switch. So I'm still wondering what the three swithces on the front panel could be user for. :)

Gil
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yeah I like the Skyliner EQ too, though the Bluesmaster is my favourite, the bass and mid control work so well together.

Getting back on topic, I put a switch into the mid control to switch between classic and Skyliner EQ. The trade off is the linear pot versus the linear pot.

That might be an option for one of the switches. I like the treble/mid switch, but I only like it for leads, thus I think it is good for it to be footswitchable.

What about switching in different hi cut settings?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah, I get the volume drop as well.
I believe in Jazz mode it takes the bottom of the treble pot through that 100K and .005uF to ground.

One I was playing and thought something was wrong!

That maybe the preamp tubes needed replacing.

Then I discovered the Rock/ Jazz switch was in the Jazz position.

Mark another thing you can do is use a On-Off-On switch there and the middle position is PAB.

But I tend to leave the front panel switches alone and use my foot pedal on which I have Mid Boost, OD and PAB.

Really don't use the Mid Boost that much but on thin sounding pickups like singles it helps to have it on in the clean mode.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

At first I thought the j/r switch was a waste, but I've found that I get some sweet clean and OD tones by adding bass. It's a lighter tone, works well for some things.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I check back with the J/R switch now and again and find I have little to no interest in the Jazz setting. Could do without that switch. Same with the bright. It is always on , so I wired it with the choice of a 480pf cap or a 360pf cap, but always one or the other. Pretty muddy without anything.
marcos

Post by marcos »

ayan wrote:
Hey Mark,

I take it you're building a "classic" tone stack amp? I used to play those and had the Deep Switch, which was actually usable. The effect is subtle but it works - think of it as making a 1x12 sound a bit more like a 2x12 - and it makes the PAB sound a little softer, which some people may find desirable. Now, after having switched to Skyliners, I really haven't looked back, but I don't use the Mid Switch on the Skyliners - or the J/R or the bright switch. So I'm still wondering what the three swithces on the front panel could be user for. :)

Gil
Gil,
I converted my 79 ODS´tonestack to something very similar to the
Skyliner, sans Mid switch, keeping the Deep switch. I find the combination
of Bright and Deep very useful for a more Fender-y clean tone, use it for recording a lot. Bright switch is 180 pF.
I remember playing half a gig wondering what was wrong, then found out I had plugged into the FET input accidentally. :oops:
Just my 2 (Euro) cents

Marcos

PS I always enjoy your contributions
talbany

Post by talbany »

I remember at a gig once thinking man this thing must need new tubes or somethings wrong.. No nuts and lacked headroom..Turned out some idiot (not me) :lol: hit the power switch to 50w.. Doh!!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"