line level reverb suggestion

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

BobW

line level reverb suggestion

Post by BobW »

I am currently using a Boss pedal w/ or sometimes w/o the Dumbleator into a #124, but am not happy with the results. Any suggestions on a better reverb unit is appreciated. I have tried a Fender Reverb unit but line level signal easily distort and overdrive the unit. Thanks
Structo

Re: line level reverb suggestion

Post by Structo »

I used to use a Boss RV-5 with my Dumbleator, then a Hardwire RV-7 which I think has a good reverb.

The effect that shines on the Boss RV-5 is the modulation setting, kind of chorusy.

Then I got a TC Electronics 'G Sharp' which is the lower end Delay/ Reverb from them.

That really sounds good in the D'lator.

Recently I acquired a Xotic X Blender which a sort of parallel loop device like the Suhr MiniMix but about $60 cheaper.
Except this has a large knob you can adjust the wet/ dry mix with your foot plus a phase switch, vol, bass, treb.

I like a touch of delay and reverb to warm up the sound a little.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
BobW

Post by BobW »

Tom, I use the RV-5 too but it distorts even w/ the dumbleator. Although I bought it used, maybe it just needs replacing. Thanks. I have heard good things about the hardwire RV-7.
ayan

Post by ayan »

BobW wrote:I am currently using a Boss pedal w/ or sometimes w/o the Dumbleator into a #124, but am not happy with the results. Any suggestions on a better reverb unit is appreciated. I have tried a Fender Reverb unit but line level signal easily distort and overdrive the unit. Thanks
1. For the Fender Reverb, wouldn't there be enough gain in the Dumbleator to recover the signal level after attenuating it to instrument level, so as to not overdrive the Reverb input? It should work out just fine.

2. If you'll be using it with the Dumbleator and are willing to carry around a rack case, a Rocktron Intellifex has very decent reverbs and a very warm mixer which keeps the dry signal analog - big plus. These things can be had used for $100-200 or thereabouts.

Gil
BobW

Post by BobW »

Thanks Gil, Excellent suggestions. I'll need to fix the Fender reverb unit since it still distorts when using it between the guitar and amp too. A weekend project. I'll check out the Rocktron.
ayan

Post by ayan »

BobW wrote:Thanks Gil, Excellent suggestions. I'll need to fix the Fender reverb unit since it still distorts when using it between the guitar and amp too. A weekend project. I'll check out the Rocktron.
I have been using the Intellifex for hmmm... about 20 years, and with the same patch setting I might add. For its price range, I have not found anything that works better. Pretty cool ducking feature which can be applied to the reverb and delay.

There Fender Reverb should definitely not overdrive when plugging a guitar into it! I think those things can actually be modified to operate at line level, you know? You may want to look into that as well.

Gil
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

On a budget- the TC Hall of fame and Flashback delay and reverb, they both work grwat in rhe loop of a Dumbleator and D-style amp.

If you can afford either of these they are my fav and I own and have used both extensively with D-style amps and Dumblator:

Strymon Timeline: tons of delays, with all sorts of modulation options. Lots of complex delay algorythms and tons of control over everything. Presets, the ability to run in ((Stereo)) and select which operation you'd like to use it with. The pedal has digital effects procesing but it mixes via parellel so the signal is not mucked up from series operation.

Providence Chrono Delay 80's: Super accurate delay rimea, tons of contol, including save'able presets. The pedal is digit but it has parellel coverters so the signal isnt mucked up from using it in series fx loop. Also the closest Delay in a pedal format to the famed TC electronics 2290. The delayd have a smooth ducking quality that just works and sounds soo exceptional. Also has a built in Vitalyzer so that the sound quility is 1:1 with the bypassed signal.

I own a Chrono and use it in the built in Dumbleator in my Quinn SDO-Reverb, its the the two were made for one another.... Simply a match made in Heaven
brentm

Post by brentm »

TC makes some good dish.... TC G-Major and now a G-Major 2 are great in the loop. I still go back to my Bassman conversion in this configuration compared to my TR CR minus effects in the loop.

You have to tweak the rack effects input/output levels and set it to consumer (as opposed to pro) on the line level. Sorry, don't remember the exact nomenclature.

Just my .02. Outside of the loop, I have a hardwire reverb pedal I use in front on amps w/o a loop or to augment the TR CR. Sounds good too... really just gotta find what works best for you. I have a Boss RV-3 pedal that's amazing too....but it doesn't see much action.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Tom

Do you use the Minimix type device instead of the D-lator?

I like the idea of a parallel effects loop. Though the D-lator is a great tone shaping tool.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Structo

Post by Structo »

@ BobW

Bob are you sure your D'lator is operating correctly?

Do you have the bias on the CF set right?

This is how mine is set up.

I have my amp gain set to 1:00 and Master Vol at 2:00

The D'lator send is at noon, the Return is at 3:00 and then I use the output
pot to control the over all volume of the amp.

Depending on the effect being used try to set any volume control at unity.

@ Mark,
I recently acquired an Xotic X Blender which works very well.
It acts as a parallel loop.
So I have my G Sharp in that loop.

The X Blender has a wet/ dry blend knob that is large enough to operate with my foot.
It also has volume, bass and treble and a phase switch.

http://www.xotic.us/effects/x_blender/index.html

You can find it for $176 online.
Tom

kevster

Post by kevster »

Structo wrote:@ BobW

Bob are you sure your D'lator is operating correctly?

Do you have the bias on the CF set right?

This is how mine is set up.

I have my amp gain set to 1:00 and Master Vol at 2:00

The D'lator send is at noon, the Return is at 3:00 and then I use the output
pot to control the over all volume of the amp.

Depending on the effect being used try to set any volume control at unity.

@ Mark,
I recently acquired an Xotic X Blender which works very well.
It acts as a parallel loop.
So I have my G Sharp in that loop.

The X Blender has a wet/ dry blend knob that is large enough to operate with my foot.
It also has volume, bass and treble and a phase switch.

http://www.xotic.us/effects/x_blender/index.html

You can find it for $176 online.
Did the X-Blender "purify" your tone? That's on my short list for next buys...
Max

Post by Max »

BobW wrote:Any suggestions on a better reverb unit is appreciated. I have tried a Fender Reverb unit but line level signal easily distort and overdrive the unit.
If you should like the sound of a tube driven spring reverb (and a tube driven vibrato and tremolo):

AFAIR the Soldano Space Box (tube driven spring reverb) and the Soldano Surf Box (tube driven reverb, tremolo and vibrato) both have tube buffered line level inputs and outputs on the back in addition to their usual instrument inputs and outputs on the front. And as they are often sold mounted in a Soldano cabinet of the same width as an ODS you can easily place them on the top of an ODS (see the attached picture).

Picture source: http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble/

Cheers,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

kevster wrote: Did the X-Blender "purify" your tone? That's on my short list for next buys...
I don't really notice it purifying anything but it doesn't sound like I am sucking any tone out of the signal.

What I really like about the X Blender is the real time control of the wet signal.
Plus the volume and tone controls are nice.

It has a bypass switch to check levels and a boost as well as the phase switch.

Just seems more versatile than the MiniMix which I am sure is a great piece of gear.
Tom

jon

Post by jon »

Max wrote:
BobW wrote:Any suggestions on a better reverb unit is appreciated. I have tried a Fender Reverb unit but line level signal easily distort and overdrive the unit.
If you should like the sound of a tube driven spring reverb (and a tube driven vibrato and tremolo):

AFAIR the Soldano Space Box (tube driven spring reverb) and the Soldano Surf Box (tube driven reverb, tremolo and vibrato) both have tube buffered line level inputs and outputs on the back in addition to their usual instrument inputs and outputs on the front. And as they are often sold mounted in a Soldano cabinet of the same width as an ODS you can easily place them on the top of an ODS (see the attached picture).

Picture source: http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble/

Cheers,

Max

Is that a 1x15 cabinet ???
husky

Post by husky »

BobW wrote:I am currently using a Boss pedal w/ or sometimes w/o the Dumbleator into a #124, but am not happy with the results. Any suggestions on a better reverb unit is appreciated. I have tried a Fender Reverb unit but line level signal easily distort and overdrive the unit. Thanks
If you still want a pedal the Eventide is nice and line level
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com