Other speakers for Thiele 806 cab?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Luthierwnc

Other speakers for Thiele 806 cab?

Post by Luthierwnc »

Hi Guys,

I have two Thiele-type cabs. One with an EVM12L and the other with a Swamp Thang. I've also got a side-ported 1X12 with an SRO which compares relatively well as a reference sound. I've been playing a 2nd gen hybrid more lately and found the EVM doesn't work as well for that amp as it does for later "D" iterations.

Has anyone got experience with using other than EVMs (or Swamp Thangs) in that particular cab?

Thanks, as always, Skip
Teleguy61

Re: Other speakers for Thiele 806 cab?

Post by Teleguy61 »

I have used JBL D120s and K120s in TL806s, and they worked well.
I have also used a Weber Neomag 12 in one which also sounded good.
I agree that the earlier gen types (I just finished something pretty close to a D"Lite 1.5) sound good with JBLs as opposed to EVMs.
The midrange peak is a little lower in the JBLs it seems, and that works well.
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

I've tried several Celestions including a Vintage 30 (which I never much cared for until I tried it in a TL806) and a Heritage G12-65. Both worked quite well. I tried two WGS speakers - BL80 and ET65 and they did not work at all - they both resonated in the TL806 and bottomed out.
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

I dug the Eminence Texas Heat in a Theile cab, as well as a Celestion G1265 and a "Two Rock" labeled WGS ET-65
David Root

Post by David Root »

I have a Fane Studio 12L in a Boogafunk TL806 cab. It's not fully broken in yet but it will I think end up sounding as good as the EV12L it's designed to compete with.
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Thanks guys!

I've been trying to figure how to get a Texas Heat back in the line-up. Cheers, sh
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

boldaslove6789 wrote:I dug the Eminence Texas Heat in a Theile cab, as well as a Celestion G1265 and a "Two Rock" labeled WGS ET-65
Interesting about your experience with the Two Rock labeled WGS. Like I said, the standard WGS ET65 didn't work for me. And it was not a question of not sound good - it was physically bottoming out at moderate volume. Do you know if WGS did any special treatment for the Two Rock version? Different doping or compliance in surround of spider?
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
jon

Post by jon »

I used to use an eminence Delta Pro 12A it was nice but a little dark
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

Yes I think the Two Rock labaled ET65 sounds quite different, nice and even sounding, not overly middy like the WGS version, great highs too.

There are also two versions of them, one made by WGS, one made my Eminence, make sure you get the WGS version if you ever look for one to buy.
mat

Post by mat »

My workmate built me a thiele cab and I did put a RWB in it. I've only used it with a DIY Marshall 2555 (jubilee) so far and it sounds awesome. The clean channel jumps to harmonics very easily.
I will try it with my D-style builds later and also try to swap the Delta Pro 12A in it. The lower mids and tight bass are really working nicely 8)
mat
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

I was thinking of building one for my amp but the size of the cabinet is too small in those Electrovoice plans.

My amp is aprox. (in imperial) 22 inches wide and i was thinking of using the cab horizontally.

What would you guys think it would happen in terms of tone if i increase all the measures proportionally except for the depth of the cabinet?

Unfortunately a V30 is all i can afford...
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

I've always like the saying, "When the going gets tough, cheat".

As long as the interior dimensions are on spec, the outside doesn't make any difference. Just wall off the interior of a box that fits under your head. Stick cables and other stage junk in the partition. sh
Bear

Post by Bear »

People add to one dimension of the TL-806 pretty often. You could also see if the Boogie thiele cab dimensions work any better for your head.
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

Luthierwnc wrote:I've always like the saying, "When the going gets tough, cheat".

As long as the interior dimensions are on spec, the outside doesn't make any difference. Just wall off the interior of a box that fits under your head. Stick cables and other stage junk in the partition. sh
So what you're saying is to keep the interior box dimensions and build the rest according to my needs? Thats a good idea i really need the extra space to put cables and other hardware ahah.
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

Bear wrote:People add to one dimension of the TL-806 pretty often. You could also see if the Boogie thiele cab dimensions work any better for your head.
Yeah the Boogie cab is also small.