Circuit configuration recommendations

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RB

Circuit configuration recommendations

Post by RB »

I have a friend that I am going to help with his amp build. He plays in a Carlos Santana tribute band and this amp will be used primarily for this application. He is going to fabricate the chassis and build the cab and I will do the electronics.

I would appreciate any recommendations/suggestions regarding the combination of circuits that would produce this tone with the least hassle. By "least hassle" I mean the player being able to quickly dial it in. This guy is control challenged. He is a great/faantastic player but he just locks up when it comes to dialing in anything on any kind of equipment.

I would like to stick with the standard Dumble topology but I would entertain a simplified/optimized design approach if it would simplify the usability. I think the standard topology would offer more versatility in the future when/if he tires of the tribute band.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses

Regards
Randy
boldaslove6789

Re: Circuit configuration recommendations

Post by boldaslove6789 »

A few recommendations when getting into most of the Dumble ODS topologys:

Will your friend be using time based FX (Delay Reverb)? If so, most guys will use an external or built in Dumbleator (tube buffered FX Loop) since the standard ODS only has a passive FX Loop. The Dumbleator also adds some compression, doubles as an overall master Vol, and really makes the overall response of the amp mucho better.

Santana owns all sorts of Dumble's and clones. The most popular amps that come to mind are:

(2) different Dumble Overdrive Reverb's, one with HRM based Overdrive, and another that has some ODS #102 NON-HRM high plate tweaks done by Dumble (HAD offered an update to the previous owner around the time he was coming up with the Robben Ford voicing and he offered the update/mod to some of his clients in the early 90's.).

A Dumble Steel String Singer (serial #5 previously owned by Eric Johnson),

And he has owned quite a few Dumble Overdrive Specials in the years since 2000.

Its kinda hard to nail down which amp he used for what but there are some examples in the "Dumble Sound Clips Sticky" thread

If you have never really built anything with the Dumble ODS Topology, its safe to say that once the player finds their individual sound in the amp, after finding the right voicing for the client, they usually set it and forget it(I do anyways).

A Non-HRM amp would probably be the best and easiest to introduce for what your friend wants. Either of the following:

#102 "Robben Ford" amp
6L6 based Pwr Section
NON-HRM
High plate Skyline EQ

#183 "Tags TKT" amp
EL34 based Pwr section
NON-HRM
High plate Skyline EQ

#124 ODS
6L6 Pwr section
NON-HRM
" Low plate Classic", then was updated to a "Low plate NON-HRM Skyline"

All of these amps are in the files section wit layouts and information on each amp, along with the tube buffered FX Loop "Dumbleator"
Last edited by boldaslove6789 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

boldaslove6789 wrote:
#124 ODS
6L6 Pwr section
NON-HRM
" Low plate Classic", then was updated to a "High plate NON-HRM Skyline"
Should read 'updated to a Low Plate Non-HRM Skyline', unless I've been mistaken all these years!

Cheers,

Paul.
'Beauty is in the ear of the beholder'
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

Guitarman18 wrote:boldaslove6789 wrote:
#124 ODS
6L6 Pwr section
NON-HRM
" Low plate Classic", then was updated to a "High plate NON-HRM Skyline"
Should read 'updated to a Low Plate Non-HRM Skyline', unless I've been mistaken all these years!

Cheers,

Paul.

Indeed you're right... my bad, corrected.