Dumble SSS - history and info

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

turbo5speed

Re: Dumble SSS - history and info

Post by turbo5speed »

martin manning wrote:
turbo5speed wrote:Mind my ignorance and off-topic... what the heck is a high/low plate :shock: ?

Keep seeing it in this forum but cant find info on what it really is... does it mean high/low voltage on the tube plate?
It referrs to the value of the plate load resistors. Low-plate means 100k across all four preamp stages, high-plate means (typically) 220k/150k on V1a and b, and 220k/150k on V2a and b. Proportionally-valued cathode resistors keep the plate voltages aproximately constant.
Got it 8)

Thank you very much.
Lousyatit

Re: Skyliner eq

Post by Lousyatit »

groovtubin wrote:
qtone wrote:I can chime in here Eric told me personally that his amp had the skyliner eq.
He asked for it specifically.
Thanks for saving my rear on this! I`m 52, and can remember most every Eric J interview i`ve ever read! He said the SSS was big twin with ALOT of voltage running thru it! lol!

Great day!

jim@Omegaamps
He told me the same thing, "....it's a big overbuilt Twin Reverb." He also told me that he had it on a bench and that it was pushing 160 watts!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

A pic I found of SRV SSS blackface. Looks like his 3rd SSS and second blackface one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

FuzzFaceBuilder wrote:Peavey Roadmaster, anyone.... :wink:
I'm getting ready to build a 150W SSS and I'd love to figure out which Peavey transformers were used. I just checked the Roadmaster and it does use 4 6550's. The PT looks like a match.

The OT outputs are 2 and 4 Ohms, is this what the SSS output is? Maybe they use 2 8 Ohm EV's in parallel? Anybody know?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Does anyone have info on the dates or years each one was built?
Bombacaototal

Re:

Post by Bombacaototal »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:58 pm A pic I found of SRV SSS blackface. Looks like his 3rd SSS and second blackface one?
Does anyone have more info on this amp?
chris_sanford

Post by chris_sanford »

I didn't see it mentioned, so I will add the one small piece of SSS info that I know about. One of these amps was owned by the Canadian guitarist Colin James, who was apparently turned on to them via his SRV connection. I remember seeing it listed for sale in the Rocket (Seattle area music 'zine) in the early/mid 90s? I contacted the seller (Colin's management company) as quickly as I could but I was too late, as the amp had just been shipped to a So. Cal. music store for 'evaluation', or something like that. The asking price was totally reasonable for the time... 4k-ish, iirc.

Sorry for being fuzzy on the details. Old age and all that. :)

chris
Dumbbell

Post by Dumbbell »

Yes, Colin James' sss is #10 and it was then owned by Kirk Hammett and is now for sale at spa guitars for 750k. AFAIK HAD has #11 and #12 and apparently jimmy Vaughan has offered HAD 1 million for each #11 and #12. If you all want more info, let me know.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Whatever happened to the Silverface one his 1st SSS. That one is by far my favorite out of the bunch.IIRC This amp was more in the Dumbleland DNA? Does Jimmy have that one?

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Dumbbell wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 pm Yes, Colin James' sss is #10 and it was then owned by Kirk Hammett and is now for sale at spa guitars for 750k. AFAIK HAD has #11 and #12 and apparently jimmy Vaughan has offered HAD 1 million for each #11 and #12. If you all want more info, let me know.
Yes please! The SSS’s are my amp of choice.

Aaron
drew

Post by drew »

How does Jimmy [sic] Vaughan have two million dollars? Or are we talking about an investment banker or hedge fund crook actually named JImmy Vaughan, rather than Stevie's brother Jimmie?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

drew wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:17 am How does Jimmy [sic] Vaughan have two million dollars? Or are we talking about an investment banker or hedge fund crook actually named JImmy Vaughan, rather than Stevie's brother Jimmie?
LOL, I had the same thought :D

M
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

It's possible he bought one way back when they were still thousands of dollars instead of hundreds of thousands etc. I don't know the history of it at all, but knowing that Stevie had one, means Jimmie might have gotten one too somehow by his brother or something else?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
S a m

Post by S a m »

. . . or he offered one million pesos . . .

Dumbbell

Post by Dumbbell »

Hahaha,

AFAIK
#1 owned by HK
#2 owned by JM
#3 I think is owned by DL
#4 Is for sale at Jims guitars for 220k
#5 is owned by Santana
#6 ? Maybe HAD has it at his shop
#7 is owned by Jimmie
#8 is owned by Jimmie
#9 is owned by Jimmie
#10 is for sale at SPC guitars for 750k
#11 was the famous "Thanks but you can keep it" SRV amp. HAD has it
Anyone have a Dumble book that I can buy for 100ish? Apparently it says that there are 14 sss' in total!