Dumble SSS - history and info

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Max

Re: Dumble SSS - history and info

Post by Max »

boldaslove6789 wrote:Indeed Max with the Facts :) I was just stating the fact that it has an Opto Roach, I'm unsure of the technical spec's of #1 SSS. Whether its "Vibrato" or "tremolo" I don't know. Regardless, It certainly has some kind of Modulation based effect that uses a Lamp and photocell array.
Greg, I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Have a great time and lots of fun with your projects!

Max
stevlech

Post by stevlech »

I'm not in position to question anyone here, but I think I recall talk of EJ's #5 SSS as supposedly having a skyliner stack. Of course, that could have been a later mod or not true at all.

Just Sayin'
talbany

Post by talbany »

List I have from my notes..

#1 is Henry Kaisers
#2 is John Mayers
#3 Was David Lindley's
#4 is Henry Kaiser's
#5 was Eric Johnsons
#6 (Possibly) Carlton's from Renegade Gentleman?...Took delivery around 1991/92
#7 SRV

In early 07' or late 06' listed on eBay. Supposely, it was #2 SSS, 150W w/ Buy it now price of $75k.

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
groovtubin

Eric`s SSS w/SEQ

Post by groovtubin »

stevlech wrote:I'm not in position to question anyone here, but I think I recall talk of EJ's #5 SSS as supposedly having a skyliner stack. Of course, that could have been a later mod or not true at all.

Just Sayin'
you are correct, in a 80`s guitar mag interview ( or similar) i DEF remember him saying it went in for the SKYLINER MOD...you musta read it too!

peace, jim@Omegaamps.com
Roe

Post by Roe »

would #5 feature Peavey Mace transformers (with a 1.4k primary possibly)?
Last edited by Roe on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
ER

Post by ER »

Peavey Mace were 6x6L6 amps, I'm not sure what transformers are in #5 but I always thought a VTA-400 (4x6550) would be a good donor for a SSS.
FuzzFaceBuilder

Post by FuzzFaceBuilder »

Peavey Roadmaster, anyone.... :wink:
Bear

Post by Bear »

Other than #5 having Peavey iron, do we have anything solid info on what model iron in that case or what other iron the 150 watters used? Do we know what was used in 150w Dumblelands?
qtone

Skyliner eq

Post by qtone »

I can chime in here Eric told me personally that his amp had the skyliner eq.
He asked for it specifically.
groovtubin

Re: Skyliner eq

Post by groovtubin »

qtone wrote:I can chime in here Eric told me personally that his amp had the skyliner eq.
He asked for it specifically.
Thanks for saving my rear on this! I`m 52, and can remember most every Eric J interview i`ve ever read! He said the SSS was big twin with ALOT of voltage running thru it! lol!

Great day!

jim@Omegaamps
qtone

Post by qtone »

@Jim I am told now that in fact #5 or Ejs SSS was not a skyline eq.

I am confused as Eric told me in person to my face that he requested that in his SSS amp... So I am baffled yet again...

Boldaslove knows more of the specifics here and he informed me that it does not appear to be skyline eq at all..

Now not sure the differences between High plate low plate or Skyline eq but I guess its possible Erics amp could have had that and when it was sent back to be revoiced for one of the many other owners between Ej and Santana that its possible the skyline eq was removed or changed.

I dont know enough about specifics to be of more help but just relating what Eric told me in person as I asked him then why call it skyline...?

His reply was if you looked at the amp on a scope the eq would resemble the skyline of say New York...

He mentioned wanting that specifically..

When I speak to Eric again I will ask to quell this "STORY"
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

Mind my ignorance and off-topic... what the heck is a high/low plate :shock: ?

Keep seeing it in this forum but cant find info on what it really is... does it mean high/low voltage on the tube plate?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

turbo5speed wrote:Mind my ignorance and off-topic... what the heck is a high/low plate :shock: ?

Keep seeing it in this forum but cant find info on what it really is... does it mean high/low voltage on the tube plate?
It referrs to the value of the plate load resistors. Low-plate means 100k across all four preamp stages, high-plate means (typically) 220k/150k on V1a and b, and 220k/150k on V2a and b. Proportionally-valued cathode resistors keep the plate voltages aproximately constant.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

qtone wrote:@Jim I am told now that in fact #5 or Ejs SSS was not a skyline eq.

I am confused as Eric told me in person to my face that he requested that in his SSS amp... So I am baffled yet again...

Boldaslove knows more of the specifics here and he informed me that it does not appear to be skyline eq at all..

Now not sure the differences between High plate low plate or Skyline eq but I guess its possible Erics amp could have had that and when it was sent back to be revoiced for one of the many other owners between Ej and Santana that its possible the skyline eq was removed or changed.

I dont know enough about specifics to be of more help but just relating what Eric told me in person as I asked him then why call it skyline...?

His reply was if you looked at the amp on a scope the eq would resemble the skyline of say New York...

He mentioned wanting that specifically..

When I speak to Eric again I will ask to quell this "STORY"
Well, if the TONE of AVM says anything, i believe il`l stick with SEQ thank you! ;) Tellem i said Hi, and THANK YOU for such wonderful music on these high landrons.. was in Grand Prairie/oak cliff in that time frame...was def SOAKING it UP! lol!
steve_p

Post by steve_p »

Speaking of SSS,

#4 is up for sale.... time to mortgage the house...

http://www.maverick-music.com/vintage-a ... g-singer-4