Why DID HAD use suede on his amps?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rogb

Why DID HAD use suede on his amps?

Post by rogb »

I ask as I am genuinenly interested.

I have just covered a combo cab in black suede and diamond cloth from Amplified Nation".

It is pretty hard to work with, you need to cut and glue VERY carefully and I imagine it will only look good, and it certainly does, for a short time.

It is not "easy care" by any means.

So was it just fashion or did HAD have some clothing connection and ended up with yards of cheap suede or was he just trying to be different and "funky", a bit like Kustom amps.
jaysg

Re: Why DID HAD use suede on his amps?

Post by jaysg »

rogb wrote:So was it just fashion or did HAD have some clothing connection and ended up with yards of cheap suede or was he just trying to be different and "funky", a bit like Kustom amps.
While I know nothing about the details, having been alive at the time, brown suede jackets with lots of fringe were very popular with guys like Neil Young and anyone else in Buffalo Springfield. Iirc, there's a pic of a young-ish HAD in one of those coats.
Max

Post by Max »

rogb wrote:it will only look good for a short time.
This is of course a matter of personal taste. In my personal opinion and according to my personal taste most 30 years old Dumble amps and cabinets covered with genuine leather look far better than most 30 years old tolex covered amps and cabinets or than most 30 years old amps or cabinets made from lacquered woods. If I would order a custom made amp or cabinet today I personally would chose genuine suede or buckskin or full-grain leather or oiled natural wood.
It is not "easy care" by any means.
IMO it's more or less as "easy care" or "hard care" as all other products made from genuine leather like shoes or armchairs or clothes etc. And IMO genuine suede or buckskin or full-grain leather shoes e.g. might be even more "easy care" than genuine smooth leather shoes.

Cheers,

Max
rogb

Post by rogb »

Thanks guys, interesting stuff, although Max, an interesting opinion as always and actually I don't agree with it, as good quality tolex, which I have covered other cabs with, responds to a quick wipe down, which black suede certainly doesn't, but it doesn't really answer my original question.

It does look luxurious and expensive though, as it stands here all new and unused :)
talbany

Post by talbany »

For a time we did embroidered suede for the front of our amps..Our original shop joined with a upholstery shop and the owner was a musician.. He was always showing us the latest coolest materials, most of it was suede.. Here is what I discovered..After using the amp in clubs and some hard gigging I found that even after being real careful not to stain the amp it didn't take long for it to turn a dingy brown film.. Probably due to the intense smoke filled clubs and oil heating system we had at the time..Steve had all kinds of cleaners and protect ants that did help but for the most part didn't remove all the smoke particles, some even made it worse..Suede is also a dirt and scuff magnet and anything it comes in contact with it shows,some things you can remove others become permanently adhered to it..If you like that sort of dingy look suede gets after it's been invaded with smoke moisture and impurities floating around in the air, it can take on a cool worn look ( I personally don't want to see what's been floating around in the air stuck on my amp)..Of coarse the color of the suede is also a factor, darker colors are not as bad so you should keep this in mind if you order one with the suede..He probably did it to be different!!
The problem was that most cleaners that were strong enough to remove the dirt/stain's also removed some of the dye from the suede :roll:

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
rogb

Post by rogb »

Yeah I figured that it wouldn't hold up to stains too well, but life's too short to worry about honest use, so I may just hose it down with 3M Suede Protectant or some such other gunk and then leave it to gather , hopefully slowly and gracefully, its own battle scars :)

Hmm it is growing on me this suede though. I really like the look. It is good quality hide from our main man Taylor. It is tough to cut for sure so should last an old fella's use for a number of years.

Did anyone else use suede/buckskin that you know about Tony?

I've seen the snakeskin but that is not my style though.

Also these days there is little chance of any smoke getting near it at any UK places of entertainment, unlike, as you say, the smoke filled clubs of yesteryear.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Not tried the buck skin although if it's suede it will suffer all the same.. I sent an amp with the suede front to Zac Brown and he loves it so hey to each is own right..Taylor sent me some samples and looks like he uses good quality suede so you should be OK..Just watch for the scuffing..

Good Luck and all the Best!!

T
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Rog,
Where are the pics??? That suede traveled far!! Oh yeah that suede is no joke. I know two local guys with 30 year old Dumbles with the yellowish buckskin suede and they still look awesome! Kaiser told me all his Dumbles are still in great shape rocking the original suede on every one of them!!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Max

Post by Max »

amplifiednation wrote: I know two local guys with 30 year old Dumbles with the yellowish buckskin suede and they still look awesome! Kaiser told me all his Dumbles are still in great shape rocking the original suede on every one of them!!
IMO the problem with tolex is that it might rip apart at the edges e.g. after years of professional use. And IMO ripped tolex doesn't look that good. And on lacquered wood you'll see every scratch etc. whereas oiled wood can be oiled again - if necessary after sanding.

I've attached a picture of ODS #0084 (more pictures: http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... ey/dumble/). AFAIR this is one of the leather covered Dumble amps with the most traces of use on its leather I've ever seen on some pieces of leather covered Dumble gear. And I still like the look of its stained leather far better than the ripped tolex you'll find on many tolex covered amps after 30 years of professional use. And AFAIK the leather cover of #0084 could perhaps be treated to look a lot better just by using some special kind of brush e.g.

IMO someone who - like me - even may like the look of traces of use on natural materials like on vintage suede clothing (see attached picture) or like scratches and stains and cuts on some old wooden table in some old kitchen, will be rather happy with the look of a leather covered Dumble amp and or cabinet even after many years of professional use. But of course this is all highly subjective and of course I know a lot of players who like the "nightstand look" (only kidding' :D) of e.g. a lacquered flamed or quilted or birdseye maple cabinet a lot.

So I think it's great that these days you'll find all these different options on the market.

pictures:
http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... ey/dumble/
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89771979/vi ... ck-leather

Cheers,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rogb

Post by rogb »

amplifiednation wrote:Rog,
Where are the pics??? That suede traveled far!! Oh yeah that suede is no joke. I know two local guys with 30 year old Dumbles with the yellowish buckskin suede and they still look awesome! Kaiser told me all his Dumbles are still in great shape rocking the original suede on every one of them!!
I'm just going now to get the trimmings - handles feet corners t-nuts etc.
Got some ally bar stock for the top trim so I need to polish that up and fit it then I will do some pics.
Not sure about piping, I can only get white so might do it without.
I also ordered the Scotchgard Protector spray .
rogb

Post by rogb »

And as for the shorts - oh YEEESSSSS 8) 8) 8) :D
jon

Post by jon »

Slightly off topic but how does one glue suede to a cabinet. What glue do you use?
amplifiednation

Roger, use ally piping all around the cloth too!!!

[IMG:1024:768]http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz97 ... CN1577.jpg[/img]

Jon I use the same water based contact cement that I glue tolex on with. Overall the process is very similar to tolexing, although it does take more time
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
amplifiednation

Max, I do prefer those shorts, you pose a good argument.

I think suede speaker cabs sound better too
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
rogb

Post by rogb »

No ally piping here in the UK, are you crazy :D

I've done it no piping, white and gold were my options so I went naked.

Cloth is just drying out now...

Sol at Solsound www.solsound.com where I get my cab parts agreed the plain look was good.

Just need to fit the speaker and rear baffle, so hopefully some pics tomorrow 8)