Best route for first D style build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

buckjazz

Best route for first D style build

Post by buckjazz »

After modding and repairing several amps, and two kit builds, I would like to tackle an ODS build. Should I, buy a kit, source and build from scratch, or gut and rebuild a junky silver face pro reverb I own?
Thanks for any opinions.
sonicmojo

Re: Best route for first D style build

Post by sonicmojo »

Not long ago (just last year) I started with a kit. Since then I have built several scratch builds including my personal favorite, the 3rd gen. Based on what you are saying with your experience, and just my opinion, I say go for a scratch build with something that has pretty good track record (102, 124, 183, 2nd, 3rd gen). Once you choose your flavor, scour the historical threads and pay attention to the build suggestions that have come before. And of course, don't hesitate to ask questions. People here are more than willing to help. Don't rush and be patient. Good luck!

One extra note on cost, you might save some dollars on a gut job by reusing transformers and chassis, but if you don't adhere to the layouts and lead dress suggestions, you may go down a rabbit hole and pay for it later. Get yourself a nice rectangular chassis that has enough room for your build. There are sources where you can buy them pre-drilled (CE chassis) or just start with an aluminum blank like I did and make your own faceplate (many ways to skin that cat, none super easy for a quality look). But be prepared to spend at least $800-$1000 on parts for a single build. Even more if you go for more expensive transformers and NOS parts.
---------
Bryan
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Where can I get some plans for some these you mention, particularly the 3rd generation?
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

sepulchre wrote:Where can I get some plans for some these you mention, particularly the 3rd generation?
Look in the files section for detailed layouts.

On another note, you can get an idea for different voicings by modding the tonestacks on your old fender before making a decision on what built you want to do. Just make sure to drop the voltages according to the layout via the dropping string. Also take note on the parts and lead dress used, as its very important for the end result.

If you do your homework and use the search function on here you'll b bery satisfied. All of the leg work for the best parts, wire and Coax type is all on here and chances are someone has done or can help u with it.

Hope that helps...
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Thanks Greg!
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

buckjazz wrote:After modding and repairing several amps, and two kit builds, I would like to tackle an ODS build. Should I, buy a kit, source and build from scratch, or gut and rebuild a junky silver face pro reverb I own?
Thanks for any opinions.
Experience gained adding JAZZ/ROCK, DEEP, MID BOOST, BRIGHT, V1 FEEDBACK, PAB, 12V relay and SKYLINER preamp to the old Silverface will help you with a full Dumble style build later. It should give you a good sounding amp also!
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

If you decided to source your own parts I would try to get one of jborders sets of boards. He only had 3 sets left as of Wednesday. They make attempting a D build a little easier.

http://agbamplifiers.com/
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

CHIP wrote:If you decided to source your own parts I would try to get one of jborders sets of boards. He only had 3 sets left as of Wednesday. They make attempting a D build a little easier.
http://agbamplifiers.com/
I would say a lot easier! With a finished chassis and board set all the hard work is done. Finishing it up is not much more difficult than starting from a kit.
rogb

Post by rogb »

Just getting ordering of all the parts done right, Martin. That is the hard part.
buckjazz

Post by buckjazz »

Wow, thanks for all the replys!
I think I will mod the pro reverb and familiarize myself with some of the tone and boost functions, then proceed with a scratch build.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Check your PM box Buck.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!