Master Volume in Effects Loop

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JammyDodger

Master Volume in Effects Loop

Post by JammyDodger »

Hey All,

I would like to put a volume control between the effects out and in jacks. In this way I can set a 'balance' in volume levels between the Overdrive Volume and the Master Volume on the front panel then use the new control to adjust the amps overall volume. I'm sure this has been done before. I was thinking maybe a volume pedal could do it.

Any ideas on the the pot value should be?

Cheers, Mike
The Jammy Dodger
Structo

Re: Master Volume in Effects Loop

Post by Structo »

That's what a Dumbleator is for. :D

Seriously, not hard to build and really improves the amp.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
jelle

Post by jelle »

Why put a pot there. The master volume does exactly what you described in a non hrm. In a hrm, the levels are independent anyway.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I use a volume pedal with a 250k pot in it. Works great, almost colorless but it does take a little high end off. I can run the masters up at 12:00 and keep the volume reasonable.
JammyDodger

Post by JammyDodger »

Bob,

Thanks - I'll try a volume pot (250) like the pedal. That's what I was looking for.

Cheers, Miek
The Jammy Dodger
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

JammyDodger wrote:Bob,

Thanks - I'll try a volume pot (250) like the pedal. That's what I was looking for.

Cheers, Miek
I was having some trouble with the post.

I used 250k because that's what I have. I'm thinking that 1M may be a better match.
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

jelle wrote:Why put a pot there? The master volume does exactly what you described in a non hrm. In a hrm, the levels are independent anyway.
I second this question!
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
JammyDodger

Post by JammyDodger »

Maybe to clarify. This is an HRM model. I would like to be able to balance the levels between the HRM and the clean channel, then use another volume (pedal, pot, etc) to set my overall level.

Cheers, mike
The Jammy Dodger
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

JammyDodger wrote:Maybe to clarify. This is an HRM model. I would like to be able to balance the levels between the HRM and the clean channel, then use another volume (pedal, pot, etc) to set my overall level.

Cheers, mike
HRM's are usually wired with two separate MV's, but I'm assuming you wired your amp with the global MV then? Look in the files section at the Bluesmaster HRM layout.

TM
JammyDodger

Post by JammyDodger »

TM,

That's just it. I built the Bluesmaster HRM. I have two Master Volumes. I would like to put a pot in the effects loop to have a MASTER Master Volume. (or is that Master^2?)

Cheers, Mike
The Jammy Dodger
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

JammyDodger wrote:TM,

That's just it. I built the Bluesmaster HRM. I have two Master Volumes. I would like to put a pot in the effects loop to have a MASTER Master Volume. (or is that Master^2?)

Cheers, Mike
Ahhh, the devil is in the details.......got ya now. Yeah, I guess it's the vol pedal then.

TM
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

Ah! Thanks for the clarification.

FWIW, all the HRM builds I've done for the past couple of years I've been using the traditional 'Ratio/Master' topology rather than the dual master. I use a 1M linear taper for the ratio and 1M audio taper for the master and there doesn't appear to be any significant impact on the HRM stack response as a result in the load alteration.
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html