Manzamp!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ic-racer

Re: Manzamp!

Post by ic-racer »

norburybrook wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:04 am this looks like the amp Eric Clapton is using at the moment. I didn't ask my friend to look at it closely when he did crossroads last month. All he said was that Dumble had built him a Tweed bandmaster. It looks from a distance just like this.Mind you they do all look the same from the front. :D

M
This?
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 9.54.54 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

ic-racer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:55 am
norburybrook wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:04 am this looks like the amp Eric Clapton is using at the moment. I didn't ask my friend to look at it closely when he did crossroads last month. All he said was that Dumble had built him a Tweed bandmaster. It looks from a distance just like this.Mind you they do all look the same from the front. :D

M
This?
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 9.54.54 PM.png
yes, maybe it's not the amp from Dumble yet, he told Alan last year that Dumble was making him a Bandmaster so I presumed after a year this was it :D I forgot to ask at the time as the whole issue of my amps saying 'Dumble' on them (blanked out of course) debacle caused a huge headache/stress.

M
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'm not sure why Clapton is bothering with a Dumble. His current tone isn't the best of his career, I don't know if he has the songs people want to hear. Of course it would be good to hear EC bring out a great album, it will be interesting to see what the new amp brings to the party.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

The film company were my wife works flew out last June 2018 and interviewed Eric Clapton for the Robbie Robertson documentary "Once Were Brothers"
I knew the gentlemen doing the interview.

I asked him to ask Eric about the Tweed bandmaster that was being built for him by Dumble, and if he could narrow it down to a month.

When he asked Eric if the amp was going to be ready for him in the following month Eric answered in the following phrase....
" Yes , the amp is coming very soon, very soon "
My friend said that Eric was also very impressed that he knew that Dumble was building him a Tweed Bandmaster !

I will have to watch the film to see if this part of the interview made it to the final cut!

I wanted to post this sooner but I had to wait until the film was released before I could say anything.

So this could very well be the amp Dumble built for Clapton!

Here is the original post from last year.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... on#p386733

Cheers

Guy
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Guy,

That would make sense and confirm my suspicions .

Unfortunately I don't like the sound of it at all :(

I think Eric 's sound isn't what it was, I don't think it's him either.

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Last year EC described health issues that are hampering his ability to play. "Once Were Brothers" sounds like it'll be in interesting doc. Hope it runs here so I can check it out.
Mark

Post by Mark »

grandtechnology wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:31 am Here one:

Best regards,
Wendy
That doesn't look like a Manzamp at all, it looks like Tweed Deluxe to my eye. Possibly SPAM to this thread?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I removed the reference to their site, phone number, etc, but left some of the quote intact for some comedic effect :) Yes they've been nuked from orbit.

It was the only way to be sure.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Still searching for any more info on Manzamp. I did find this 1977 Guitar Player interview with Bonnie Raitt.
She mentions "There is a guy Howard Dumble making amps...I'll probably start to use soon." No mention of the Manzamp, so if one believes she had a Manzamp, it would be after 1977.
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 8.10.25 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
pamaz67

Post by pamaz67 »

Hello all. I'm starting to build a Manzamp based amp. I'm really curious to investigate this sort of natural compression that is really evident in the sample that IC Racer ( many thanks man!!) has posted.
Regarding the inductor, I' m trying to understand something more. If I give a look at the specs for 0.3H inductors ( or something around that value) to be mounted on a pcb, they are tiny enough to have a large series resistance value, of the order of some 300-500 ohms. That is a quite remarkable amount when in a cathode position, although in series to the bypass capacitor. And I wonder if that resistance value could be of greater importance than the inductor value itself, in the tonal effect that this inductor could have.
Any experience from your side??
Many Thanks

Paolo
Ciao from Italy.
Paolo
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

The entire 'schematic' is open to experimentation. I did not build a 'test mule' first, but I studied Dumble circuits for about ten years and built a number of amps before embarking on this Manzamp experiment. Every decision in construction was based on an answer the the question "What would Dumble have done here?" I tried to keep my own bias and electrical engineering theory out of it. It is not my design, the design wholly belongs to Dumble.
The basic schematic is fertile ground for experimentation, like all the other circuits out there.
pamaz67

Post by pamaz67 »

No doubt on that IC. I have to tell you the truth, all my D Style amps, started from a "certified" design, and at the very end are modified in order to meet my tastes, so actually my own amps are not faithful repros of any kind of typical design. The mods sometimes are heavy, while in other occasions are just a couple of details away from the recognized models we can find here detailed.
And for sure this will happen in the manzamp thing that I'm building now.
It's just that I was trying to understand if there has been any experience on that, being probably the most prominent detail on this design, and not having personally experienced the use of an Inductor in that position.
Ciao from Italy.
Paolo
Mark

Post by Mark »

Agreed the use of the inductor does make you wonder. I couldn't imagine getting more than supplied by a 22uF cap.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

I don't have time to experiment with the circuit, but I was hoping that some others would as it is not that complex and I think it sound good.
This thread started some time ago, maybe the thread bump will stimulate some more clever guesses as to what is going on here. Most all other Dumble circuits have been analyzed to death, but the Manzamp is still fertile ground for exploration:
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 9.32.41 AM.png