Manzamp!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ic-racer

Re: Manzamp!

Post by ic-racer »

A little more searching to see if any Dumble modified Bassman amp schematics are available. But most searches lead back here. For example La Tostada threads come back to mention Manzamp.
I did, however, find this picture deep in the depths of the forum here. It is a slightly improved version (less Jpeg generations) of the Manzamp picture I used. The one I used is on top, the better one is on bottom. Maybe the improved quality will stimulate more speculation:
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 10.12.44 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

I'm not building another one of these, but it looks like I may have missed a capacitor and resistor here in the middle, based on the higher resolution picture. I interpreted that shiny spot in the middle as an eyelet for a ground wire coming up from below. Maybe it is a small electrolytic with a resistor to the side.
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 10.20.43 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

The 'missing' slope resistor? I kind of created a spot for it, but maybe it needs to be where the purple arrow points.
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 10.20.43 AM.png
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

BTW just a gripe here about computers and software. All the development of this project was started on an iMac computer I owned in 2006 (computer may be in attic somewhere?) using Aldus Freehand. Software I had been using since 1989. The graphic files were then loaded to my 27" iMac running Freehand MX around 2010. That computer failed in 2017. I spend a lot of time and money replacing the entire screen!! The LED driver board and the hard disk. Eventually the graphics card failed.
27%22 Imac.JPG
What that means is that no other computer can run Freehand MX to see the files. In fact, I can't find the files. I think they were on the crashed hard disk, which I opened to show my son. In retrospect, I think the Power supply on the old 27" iMac caused all the other problems, and that hard disk that crashed (that I opened to show my son) may still have been good.

Currently I'm using Affinity Designer and was able to convert some Freehand MX documents for my HRM project, but I can't find any of the original editable graphic files for the Manzamp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_FreeHand
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

IC Racer,

You've done the Lord's Work on this thing. Here's to hoping more information will surface as time goes on.

Does anyone know where the real one is currently?
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Some JPG files, I no longer have the editable graphics files. CAUTION BOTH CONTAIN ERRORS.
Layout complete.jpg
Manzamp pc copper.jpg
Last edited by ic-racer on Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

ic-racer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:03 pm BTW just a gripe here about computers and software. All the development of this project was started on an iMac computer I owned in 2006 (computer may be in attic somewhere?) using Aldus Freehand. Software I had been using since 1989. The graphic files were then loaded to my 27" iMac running Freehand MX around 2010. That computer failed in 2017. I spend a lot of time and money replacing the entire screen!! The LED driver board and the hard disk. Eventually the graphics card failed.

27%22 Imac.JPG
What that means is that no other computer can run Freehand MX to see the files. In fact, I can't find the files. I think they were on the crashed hard disk, which I opened to show my son. In retrospect, I think the Power supply on the old 27" iMac caused all the other problems, and that hard disk that crashed (that I opened to show my son) may still have been good.

Currently I'm using Affinity Designer and was able to convert some Freehand MX documents for my HRM project, but I can't find any of the original editable graphic files for the Manzamp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_FreeHand
This is why I quit using apple. Their hardware went from being basically the best in the business to being commodity hardware that intentionally fails outside of warranty by like 1 month. I paid over 2k for a macbook pro with an extra year of warranty and the motherboard or graphics card, not sure which, died hard 1 month after the 2nd year. It would have bee a 1000$ repair for them to replace the main board, since it's just one board that does both and they don't do component level repair. I've refused to buy apple products since. Sad, I was a fanboy, bought the first, second and third generation iphones, had a apple as a kid (apple IIc) and have had multiple generations of apple hardware. I gave up all that due to their horrible products of late. I use a macbook for work and it's my most hated computer.

end of thread hijack ;)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

ic-racer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:56 pm Some JPG files, I no longer have the editable graphics files.

Layout complete.jpg
Manzamp pc copper.jpg
I have a question about this. The layout seems to show a resistor with both leads in that large body of the board. How would this even accomplish anything, if it's got both leads in that section, it's effectively out of circuit right?
manzampresistor.png
~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

I corrected errors as I went, so I may have even scraped copper after etching rather than re-do it in that area. Never went back to re-update the image, due to the computer issues. For example, look at this screen shot. That computer and its software died long ago.

This is the PC board that I actually made shows the correct connection for that resistor:
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 8.13.46 AM.png
This is a very early layout, but only a screen shot, nothing more left to update or edit:
Screen Shot 2.jpg
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

This is the PC board that I believe is in the amp presently and functioning correctly:
Manzamp PC.JPG
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Very cool, thanks!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
adir.i

Post by adir.i »

I'll try the schematics :) probably going to take time and will need modifications :) thank you for this :)
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo