SSS #2 Started

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dreric

SSS #2 Started

Post by dreric »

Although I am far from qualified to complete a SSS build, I decided to start with #2. No vibrato seems easier. Here's some pictures (sorry about the quality) of the process.

1. I took the jpeg from TAG to my local copy shop and they were able to adjust the scale so that the image fit my 26 x 8.5 chassis (an old rj thing).
2. Cut out images, cut the board materials to scale.
3. Double sided tape to hold everything together, making 2 sets of boards.
4. Drilled the tube holes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dreric on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreric

Re: SSS #2 Started

Post by dreric »

Next,

5. Drilled the eyelet holes. I found that I had to be careful and move them around a little as the layout is based on the PC and the flange of the eyelets get too close at times.
6. Clean up!
7. Eyelets in the boards.
8. Laying in the chassis.

Next chassis work!

Thanks for being a great community.

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dreric on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

dreric wrote:Although I am far form qualified to complete a SSS build, I decided to start with #2. No vibrato seems easier. Here's some pictures (sorry about the quality) of the process.

1. I took the jpeg from TAG to my local copy shop and they were able to adjust the scale so that the image fit my 26 x 8.5 chassis (an old rj thing).
2. Cut out images, cut the board materials to scale.
3. Double sided tape to hold everything together, making 2 sets of boards.
4. Drilled the tube holes.
start sellin them dare boards young fellow!

peace, jim@Omegaamps.com
topbrent

Post by topbrent »

Nice work!
dealer: allparts, weber, antique electronic supply
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Good work!!!

The drawings I did are 1:1 scale to the original size chassis. So if you print them out like Eric did you'll have the perfect template.

Thanks,
Aaron
grtamp

Post by grtamp »

Hi Dreric ,what will be your trafos?
dreric

Post by dreric »

Aaron wrote:Good work!!!

The drawings I did are 1:1 scale to the original size chassis. So if you print them out like Eric did you'll have the perfect template.

Thanks,
Aaron
Aaron,

Without you this project wouldn't be possible so thanks again for your work and generosity.

I had to go the copy shop route because no matter how many times I tried I couldn't get the source files to print to the scale I wanted. I'm using and older chassis rj used to sell, 26 x 8.5. I think the problem isn't the file but rather my printer and how windows processes the file for "poster print". I don't have Photoshop or any other professional software for this sort of thing.

Ultimately 20 minutes with the copy guy and $2.75 per copy got the job done.
dreric

Post by dreric »

grtamp wrote:Hi Dreric ,what will be your trafos?
Twin Iron for the PT, reverb and choke, haven't decided on the OT. To the best of my knowledge #1 and 2 used stock twin iron. I have the iron for a 2 x 6550 version also. I was going to do # 1 with those transformers.

Eric
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Looks' Great Eric, I think running jumper wire is a good idea. The copper etchant chemicals are nasty.
All the holes you drilled makes me itch just thinking about it.

Marry Christmas to you and your loved ones.

Steve.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Looks real nice Eric.

I will love to follow your progress on this one. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dreric

Post by dreric »

I've got the bottom of the chassis punched and drilled for most of the stuff that attaches.

I'm questioning where to put the reverb transformer and the RCA jack to the tank. Under the reverb board, seems like that's where HAD must have placed these things as I don't see it on Aaron's layout. But it seems like I'm asking for trouble to place things under the board when I don't really have to. I'm inclined to place the transformers and jacks between the reverb and PI boards near the cap can.

Also, is there any magic in the Fender placement of the reverb transformer? My inclination is to mount it perpendicular to a chassis edge but Fender always mounts the transformers at a 30-40 degree angle, why, less hum?

Any thoughts?

Eric
ATL Strat

Post by ATL Strat »

dreric wrote:I've got the bottom of the chassis punched and drilled for most of the stuff that attaches.

I'm questioning where to put the reverb transformer and the RCA jack to the tank. Under the reverb board, seems like that's where HAD must have placed these things as I don't see it on Aaron's layout. But it seems like I'm asking for trouble to place things under the board when I don't really have to. I'm inclined to place the transformers and jacks between the reverb and PI boards near the cap can.

Also, is there any magic in the Fender placement of the reverb transformer? My inclination is to mount it perpendicular to a chassis edge but Fender always mounts the transformers at a 30-40 degree angle, why, less hum?

Any thoughts?

Eric
This might help you out. It is the underside of an SSS:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/sss_top_view_267.pdf
dreric

Post by dreric »

This might help you out. It is the underside of an SSS:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/sss_top_view_267.pdf[/quote]

Thanks,

I'm aware of these pictures and from my interpretation the reverb transformer and the RCA jacks are under the board.

and................. this isn't #2, I believe this amp to be SRV's second SSS, the black one. Feel free to correct me. What little we see in the gut shot shows a very different amp than #2. From the pictures, I've always assumed that there is:

1. secondary filament transformer (next to the choke)
2. 4 x 6550
3. 12AX7s and 2 EF86/6267 (Love to know what these do)

I've always wanted to know the transformer complement for this amp, it would be great if more info surfaced..................

Regardless, I think I'll follow HAD's lead and mount the transformer the same way he did.

Eric
FuzzFaceBuilder

Post by FuzzFaceBuilder »

Those are pics of the "Alligator Pentode" amp, not an SSS.

Count the knobs on the "top view" and compare to the photos below.
dreric

Post by dreric »

FuzzFaceBuilder wrote:Those are pics of the "Alligator Pentode" amp, not an SSS.

Count the knobs on the "top view" and compare to the photos below.
Thanks, any history?

Eric