SSS #2 Started

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

markusw

Re: SSS #2 Started

Post by markusw »

dreric wrote:

The schematic says the secondary (red leads) off the PT are putting out 565.5 VAC. (this seems low, my PT puts out 669 VAC approx 100 volts more)

Bias stated at - 328 VDC (my value is -456 VDC approx 120 volts more)

Seems like the problem, for now, is that my PT puts out too much voltage (it's rated at 690 VAC). I could switch over to a Hammond, rated at 620 VAC. Does that seem like a good idea??

Eric
Hi Eric,

it seems the DC voltages in the hand drawn SSS #002 schematics were measured at a mains voltage of 102 VAC.

Regards,

Markus
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

markusw wrote:
dreric wrote:

The schematic says the secondary (red leads) off the PT are putting out 565.5 VAC. (this seems low, my PT puts out 669 VAC approx 100 volts more)

Bias stated at - 328 VDC (my value is -456 VDC approx 120 volts more)

Seems like the problem, for now, is that my PT puts out too much voltage (it's rated at 690 VAC). I could switch over to a Hammond, rated at 620 VAC. Does that seem like a good idea??

Eric
Hi Eric,

it seems the DC voltages in the hand drawn SSS #002 schematics were measured at a mains voltage of 102 VAC.

Regards,

Markus
Supposely it was documented by a tech in Japan, which is why the voltages would be lower.

TM
dreric

Post by dreric »

Markus and TM

Thanks for the info. I have to wait for the multi-sectional to arrive be fore I spend more time on the PS. The data helps interpret the info on the schematic.

Eric
dreric

Post by dreric »

Made some progress on the main board:

1. With the exception of a 1ohm resistor, which is on order, all the components are mounted.
2. Back side of the main board. There a a couple of discrepancies between the schematic and the layout, it took a while to get it to the point where no wires crossed or overlapped.
3. The board in situ.
4 . Main and the reverb board, still missing a few parts for the reverb board.

Thanks for watching,

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That is looking awesome!

Let me know what isn't matching up with the schematic and I can fix it.

Aaron
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That looks great I should of just shipped mine to you to finish for me :lol:
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

dreric wrote:Made some progress on the main board:

1. With the exception of a 1ohm resistor, which is on order, all the components are mounted.
2. Back side of the main board. There a a couple of discrepancies between the schematic and the layout, it took a while to get it to the point where no wires crossed or overlapped.
3. The board in situ.
4 . Main and the reverb board, still missing a few parts for the reverb board.

Thanks for watching,

Eric
Looking good there!

TM
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Awesome build thread :!: Congrats and best wishes on power up.
grtamp

Post by grtamp »

a very good work Dreric!! I'm curious about your power supply.
Only a question: why do you use that big piher resistor instead of the classic 1/2w?
dreric

Post by dreric »

Aaron wrote:That is looking awesome!

Let me know what isn't matching up with the schematic and I can fix it.

Aaron

**** thanks to all for the kind comments****

Forgive me for having a poor command of component nomenclature, here's 2 issues I found:

1. On the layout: V1B pin 8, 100K(B+), .01uf cap, 100k & 001uf in parallel

On the schematic: V1B pin 8, 100K(B+), .01 & .001 caps in parallel, 01 then to 100K (NOT ON SCHEMATIC but on the hand drawn), inductor to red lead.

2. On the layout: V1b pin 8, 1k5 & 5uf parallel, ground and 1k 2 watt, LNFB (470R , .22uf)

On the schematic: V1b pin 8, 1k5 & 5uf parallel , LNFB (470R , .22uf)and 1k 2 watt, ground

I think I've written these up right and my brain is fried, perhaps you can check my observations.

Thanks
Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dreric on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreric

Post by dreric »

grtamp wrote:a very good work Dreric!! I'm curious about your power supply.
Only a question: why do you use that big piher resistor instead of the classic 1/2w?
For most Dumble amps 1 watt resistors seen to be the norm. I happened to have almost everything in 1 watt, not so much in 1/2 watt.

Mostly, honestly, I just like the piher fatboys................they're chunky!

I'm curious as to why you're curious about the PS??

Eric
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Looking great, nice job.
grtamp

Post by grtamp »

Hi Dreric , I'm curious about the voltages you will take!! if you use the layout value resistors!
dreric

Post by dreric »

grtamp wrote:Hi Dreric , I'm curious about the voltages you will take!! if you use the layout value resistors!
grtamp,

All I have to go on is the common knowledge info that I've re-posted in this thread:

Aaron's layout
10thtx's schematic
"Hand Drawn" schematic

And the knowledge shared by the community in this and other threads. Clearly those who have been in a real SSS or are privy to "PM only" info are either not contributing to this thread or I haven't posted a question worth their time..........whatever.

My vision of this thread is to methodically build the amp to the best of my ability, document the build in a way that others could follow as a build guide as well as follow conceptually. The build is about prototyping the amp in way that others can enjoy, I'd don't have the electronics knowledge to build this alone. So I'm posting and building with a bit of faith that the TAG community will tell me if I'm doing something stupid, hopefully BEFORE things catch on fire.

If you (or anyone) have questions or concerns I'd ask you to share those with the group. Include enough detail for the question to be analyzed and worked out by those willing to share.

The only source for voltages is the hand drawn and those are taken while the amp was at 102 VAC. The parts for the power string just came in so my next step is to set those up and start checking voltages.

What resistor values concern you and why?

Thanks to all for reading, supporting and sharing.

Eric
dreric

Post by dreric »

Boards are pretty much done. Missing 4 resistors on the PI and one on the FET, get those next week.

Having trouble reconciling the Reverb board to the schematic to the hand drawn.................. mostly good, just gets weird on the connections to V4b Schematic goes: tank. 100K (to ground), pin 2. While the layout goes: tank, 2K2, 100K (to ground) pin 2. The hand drawn is messy in this area.

Eric