102 and 183 builds

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stevek66

102 and 183 builds

Post by stevek66 »

I have built these two over the last year.183 black knob on top and 102 white knob on the bottom.I started 183 in Dec 2011.CE chassis,Jboarders boards and Heyboer power transformer with a MC 100 watt plexi output.Taylor built me a outstanding carbon fiber tolex headcab.It took me forever to finish because of work.I was all over the country in 2012.
No FET circuit in this amp.Standard voltages and LNFB switch on V1.
The 102 amp I built next.CE chassis,homemade boards except for FET.MC fender twin power and output,68pf on master.Voltages were all pretty standard with nothing unexpected.This amp sounds outstanding.I am running it through a homemade 2x12 with Celestion 65's and is closed back at the moment.More pics to come.
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluesfendermanblues

Re: 102 and 183 builds

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Looks great Stevie!

I see your strat has a Humbucker in bridge pos. How du your like the clean sound with Mid, mid + neck and neck?
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

This amp has gone thru many changes since I built it.The pic shows the original config.After I built 102 I chased what made that amp sound so good in this amp.Changes I made that I am happy with in this amp.
100k level and ratio
TAD 6L6 tubes 470/5k1
Toggle on master to switch between 25pf and 68pf bright caps
this make a big impact switching from LP to Strat or different cabs.
Everything else is standard 183 per layout.
I am running it thru a homemade 2x12 with bludo/ASW and a ET-65
She is now a very sweet sounding amp.
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

This amp is my favorite of the two.Will sing or scream depending on what you want.
No LNFB on V1
68pf on master
47uf on B4 and B5
I believe everything else is per layout except wiring.I hate running wires from underneath the boards so I did this one a little different.Also I did not use coax on either amp.
I am running this amp thru a homemade 2x12 with Celestion 65's.
Made the headcab myself on this one.
A big Thank you to everyone here and a Apology for taking so long to finally post/share my builds.
Steve
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:Looks great Stevie!

I see your strat has a Humbucker in bridge pos. How du your like the clean sound with Mid, mid + neck and neck?
Thanks
I am happy with the clean sound a little dark though to be honest thru either amp,if thats what your referring too.I ordered this guitar from Fenders custom shop back in 1984!!Time goes by quick.I used to have a SD JBjr in it and have had this fullsize bucker in it for about 5 years.Lollars in the neck and middle,Blondes I think.
Steve
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Nice builds Steve. Do you find the OD on 102 to be smoother with more sustain than #183? Which amp has the better cleans, IYO?
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

stevek66 wrote:
bluesfendermanblues wrote:Looks great Stevie!

Thanks
I am happy with the clean sound a little dark though to be honest thru either amp,if thats what your referring too.I ordered this guitar from Fenders custom shop back in 1984!!Time goes by quick.I used to have a SD JBjr in it and have had this fullsize bucker in it for about 5 years.Lollars in the neck and middle,Blondes I think.
Steve
Sorry, If I was a little unclear. Yes, I meant how do you like the Clean sound in these amps, using the single coils (mid, mid+neck & neck position respectively) in your guitar?

I'm a strat player myself and have the same findings regarding having V1b LNFB on a switch in a 102 clone.

Regarding the #183 and talking out of frustration with my own clone, which sounds great with a humbucker guitar, but not a great success with strats, I think I'll consider you mods.........putting a 68p cap on the master vol as well as changing the OD vol from 250k to 100k (....even if it brings the 183 very close to the 102 setup and maybe defeats the purpose of having both amps).
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

bluesfendermanblues wrote: I think I'll consider you mods.........putting a 68p cap on the master vol as well as changing the OD vol from 250k to 100k (....even if it brings the 183 very close to the 102 setup and maybe defeats the purpose of having both amps).
Yeah, I think folks don't realize sometimes that they are both high plate skyliner topologies. Mod a 102 with 250k drive/od pots, no LNFB, very low value snubber on V2, Marshall iron with EL34's and you have a 183 circuit.

The skyliner tone stack and LNFB can be a tough nut to crack with Strats period. I really prefer one of the classic tone stacks with Strats, it's compromise of sorts.

TM
talbany

Post by talbany »

Steve
Can you comment on why you didn't use the 250k Drive and Level in your 183?..(Since this is a big part of the 183 sound!!)

PS..Along with the things Mike mentioned also are

2.2uf Presence cap
40uf on V1 and V2
Multi-tap Power transformer (larger Iron)
FWB rectifier (makes a difference)
Different Power Supply (also makes a difference)
Different Bright cap configuration
Different value bass pot (makes a difference)

Not using shielded cable is a very viable voicing technique :D
Just make damn sure you watch the layout/lead dress so the amp is somewhat stable...LNFB on V1 is a voicing circuit for the OD channel..IMO!! :D

Nice Job BTW

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

CHIP wrote:Nice builds Steve. Do you find the OD on 102 to be smoother with more sustain than #183? Which amp has the better cleans, IYO?
My 183 would be a touch smoother/darker than my 102 and i think because of that my 102 for me has a brighter clean tone which i prefer.This again would be when I had 183 true to it's original layout.
Thanks
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

talbany wrote:Steve
Can you comment on why you didn't use the 250k Drive and Level in your 183?..(Since this is a big part of the 183 sound!!)

PS..Along with the things Mike mentioned also are

2.2uf Presence cap
40uf on V1 and V2
Multi-tap Power transformer (larger Iron)
FWB rectifier (makes a difference)
Different Power Supply (also makes a difference)
Different Bright cap configuration
Different value bass pot (makes a difference)

Not using shielded cable is a very viable voicing technique :D
Just make damn sure you watch the layout/lead dress so the amp is somewhat stable...LNFB on V1 is a voicing circuit for the OD channel..IMO!! :D

Nice Job BTW

Tony
Thanks Tony
My 183 started out with the 250k's and I really liked the amp when I was finished but being my first D style amp I had nothing to compare it to.
Then I built the 102 version.It had a sound that I gravitated to more so than 183.For example,My 183 had a low end low mid congestion i didn't care for.So being the tinker that I am and I know all here are.I had to see if I could bring out the things I liked about my 102 version in my 183 version.Not to make them both 102's.My 183 version still has Marshall iron,.05 output couplers,180k to od volume as opposed to 150k on 102,25pf snubbers ect.So why both being High plate skyliners they still sound different but I am much happier with my 183 version now than before.I didn't use coax but I did use shielded wire in it's place.
i really couldn't be happier how both ended up and I learned a ton in doing it.
Thanks again
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Steve, this looks great. Thanks for the plug too!! So you used shielded wire but no coax? Isn't that pretty much the same thing? Or am I thinking something different.

I really enjoy playing my 102, but I think its not as good as it could be. I had to take the 68pf completely out, the amp was too bright even with the d-lator. Did you build a d-lator yet?

The builds look great!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

Taylor
No D-lator yet.It is something I will build at some point.What speakers are you using with your amp?Speakers and tubes make such a difference.
With my 102 I am running into 2 heritage 65's closed back cab.V1 has a Tele smoothplate,V2 GE shortplate and V3 is another Tele smooth plate.The darkness of the Celestions seem to be a perfect match for my amp.
Thanks Steve