Congrats.

All the best.
Horacio

Play in tune and B#!
aflynt

Re: #102 "System" In a Box Build

Post by aflynt »

Thanks!

I was trying to give an impression of the touch responsiveness of these amps by varying my picking attack while repeating phrases. Hopefully it didn't come off as brain damaged noodling. :)

-Aaron
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Great playing

(I like the part without PAB, not because of the sound - its great - but you seem 'connected' with the amp tone in the first part of the vid)
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

Thanks bluesfendermanblues, I'm really more of a lower gain kind of player at heart and always feel somewhat uncomfortable with lots of gain so that makes sense.

I just listened back again, and kind of hate the overall timbre of the recording. I just threw the iPhone in front of the amp for that video, but now I'm kind of spoiled by the much better recordings I did with the 2 mics and audio interface. :(

I think I need to dedicate a mic, stand and some cords to recording so that I don't need to dig through my gig bag every time inspiration strikes.

-Aaron
Structo

Post by Structo »

Sounds real good Aaron.

Remember to let the amp burn it for a while before tweaking much.

But, you can certainly try different tubes.

The mistake I usually make is changing more than one thing at a time.
Then it's difficult to know which was good and which was bad.
So change one thing at a time then play for a while.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Aaron,
I find it very interesting and comforting that you were able to achieve such an impressive Dumble tone with, as far as I can see, mostly current production parts.
If you don't mind, how's about a run down of resistors, pots, trannys, and tubes that you used.
I know you used F&T power supply caps and some KOA 1watt CF's, current Orange drop caps, other than that I'm not sure. NTE MF's?
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

CHIP wrote:Aaron,
I find it very interesting and comforting that you were able to achieve such an impressive Dumble tone with, as far as I can see, mostly current production parts.
If you don't mind, how's about a run down of resistors, pots, trannys, and tubes that you used.
I know you used F&T power supply caps and some KOA 1watt CF's, current Orange drop caps, other than that I'm not sure. NTE MF's?
* All Alpha Pots from CE Dist.

* Pretty much all 1/2W KOA Speers in the signal path. 1/2W KOA Speer MF on the plates and cathodes. 2W TEC CF for the 4.7K NFB resistor. 2W KOA Speer on the preamp grids. KOA Speer MO2 PS droppers. Vishay/Dale RS 5W PT screen grids, Vishay/Dale CPF 2W 0.5% bias check resistors

* MM High Powered Tweed Twin OT. Heyboer custom wound Twin PT w 345V/345V HT Wind for about 460VDC on the plates.

* JJ Ecc83s in V1 and Loop. Jj Ecc803s in V2. Eh LPS in the PI. Jj 6L6s.

I'll probably switch to a true log CTS for the bass pot. The pseudo log Alphas come on way too fast.

-Aaron
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Thanks,
KOA's really seem to be a good choice for current production resistors.
I used them in a Bassman 6G6B build which turned out very nice.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Congrats on a fine looking and sounding amp! I'd be calling that done and put it to work! Very nice.
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

Thanks stelligan! It's definitely getting a workout with these summer outdoor jobs!

-Aaron
tubelectron

Post by tubelectron »

Hello Aaron,

bluesfendermanblues kindly pointed me today on your Sonorous Sublime topic :
bluesfendermanblues wrote:
tubelectron wrote:Fine Marcus,

My goal is to integrate an Holy Grail Nano inside the amp itself (like on some of my other amps : Orient-Express, Val-King), and the HGN is guitar level, so an adaptation of the loop level is probably necessary (it may be the justification of the existence of the Dumbleator ?) and not a real problem.

I have the #124 and #183 schematic, and I will search for the #102 now. I already see some common points with MKII Boogies.

Thanks again,

A+!
It seems that you have released a fine amp which is very close to what I am planning to do. So I may contact you for tips and advices, then :wink: !

Thanks in advance,

A+!
If it works, don't fix it...
www.guilhemamplification.jimdo.com
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

tubelectron wrote:Hello Aaron,

bluesfendermanblues kindly pointed me today on your Sonorous Sublime topic :
bluesfendermanblues wrote:
tubelectron wrote:Fine Marcus,

My goal is to integrate an Holy Grail Nano inside the amp itself (like on some of my other amps : Orient-Express, Val-King), and the HGN is guitar level, so an adaptation of the loop level is probably necessary (it may be the justification of the existence of the Dumbleator ?) and not a real problem.

I have the #124 and #183 schematic, and I will search for the #102 now. I already see some common points with MKII Boogies.

Thanks again,

A+!
It seems that you have released a fine amp which is very close to what I am planning to do. So I may contact you for tips and advices, then :wink: !

Thanks in advance,

A+!
Sure. Let me know how I can help. Thanks!

-Aaron
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Hi Aaron - if you're still around..... and BTW - Happy New Year...
I'm working on a copy of the Sonorus, but at the same time I'm working on a schematic that will present the amp as a complete circuit for later use ( when I'm not available... no one in this region has ever seen or heard a Dumble amp).
If possible - where do you pick the signal to feed the reverb, - and where is the return injected into the main circuit...?
DO you have other tips as to the changes you've along the road?

Best regards from Norway
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

Aurora wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:01 pm Hi Aaron - if you're still around..... and BTW - Happy New Year...
I'm working on a copy of the Sonorus, but at the same time I'm working on a schematic that will present the amp as a complete circuit for later use ( when I'm not available... no one in this region has ever seen or heard a Dumble amp).
If possible - where do you pick the signal to feed the reverb, - and where is the return injected into the main circuit...?
DO you have other tips as to the changes you've along the road?

Best regards from Norway
Hello Aurora,

Happy New Year!

The reverb is run in series with the signal right after the loop return jack. I have a relay set up that allows it to bypassed as well.

This is still my main amp that I play out 1-4 times per week. It's been tweaked quite a bit over time, though. Circuit-wise, I've found that for my tastes I prefer this amp set up as a low-plate Skyliner, but otherwise it's pretty close to 102. I also have the Gain control set up on a dual pot that gradually dials in a HF-Taper as you turn it up, and a always run it in Jazz mode with the loop send set fairly high and the built in reverb bypassed. For reverb I just use an RV-500 on the Plate setting in the loop. The loop return (Master) is a 1MA instead of a 250KA and I've changed the bass pot to a 250KA (CTS) as well.

-Aaron