My take on an SSS

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mhartman

Re: My take on an SSS

Post by mhartman »

David Root wrote:I missed it because I was in hospital when it started. mhartman we all owe you for this one, thank you!!
M Fowler wrote:Don't know how I missed this thread, great job :)
My pleasure guys. I've learned a bunch from (and enjoyed) all of your posts/contributions as well!!
cheatingonguitar

the real question

Post by cheatingonguitar »

Can I buy this from you?! :)

Awesome build.
ReAmemiya034

Post by ReAmemiya034 »

beautiful amp, is the updated schematic a working one?
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

ReAmemiya034 wrote:beautiful amp, is the updated schematic a working one?
Yes, the updated layout is the of the actual amp (unless there is a typo of some sort). This is the current configuration that I have my amp in (of course, I'm a tweaker, so the real thing changes quite often).

Mike
ER

Post by ER »

Man that thing looks and sounds super. Nice Job!
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Fantastic! Thanks for the layout. Between your clips and the Carlton clips Max posted, I think I might have to get serious about a build of one of these. Seems like these were designed for a Strat.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'd be really interested in the results of bypassing the inductor.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Lefty, next time I'm in there, I'll try to throw a switch on the inductor so I can get clips of it in and out of the circuit in the various switch positions. I've tried to leave the chassis in the cab for a while so I can play it and get to know the amp a bit without tweaking something.

Here's a quick clip done with the latest version of the layout played at medium volume (which is a bit too loud for my guitar room). Again, excuse the playing, I've got to spend more time with my guitar and less with a soldering iron. Also, the recording sounds a lot smaller than the amp in the room -- I'm not sure what's up with that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jim

Post by jim »

It sounds really nice!
Dr d

Post by Dr d »

I have to agree!!!! You have made a sweet sounding amp for sure!!!
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

mhartman wrote:
Here's a quick clip done with the latest version of the layout played at medium volume (which is a bit too loud for my guitar room).
Looks great....... sounds great.......
Must be great! :D

I'll admit to not being a big SSS devotee but, whatever you have here sounds very good indeed. Congratulations!

P.S. If that's what it sounds like loud, keep it there......
ReAmemiya034

Post by ReAmemiya034 »

What kind of pots are you using for the Filter High/Low, and also on the high filter pot there are what appears to be 2 really tiny capacitors but they're so small I couldn't make out the values, I was wondering what the values were.

Also on the eyelet board nearest to the PT there are what looks to be black resistors with white stripes, are these resistors? If so, what kind are they?

I also notice on the 500R 5W resistors you had Xicon at the end of it, would any 500R 5W work or does it have to be a Xicon?

Thank you in advance!! =)
Vy
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

ReAmemiya034 wrote:What kind of pots are you using for the Filter High/Low, and also on the high filter pot there are what appears to be 2 really tiny capacitors but they're so small I couldn't make out the values, I was wondering what the values were.

Also on the eyelet board nearest to the PT there are what looks to be black resistors with white stripes, are these resistors? If so, what kind are they?

I also notice on the 500R 5W resistors you had Xicon at the end of it, would any 500R 5W work or does it have to be a Xicon?

Thank you in advance!! =)
Vy
Hey Vy,

Here's the mouser link for the switches that I used (same switch for both). You could probably use a single layer switch instead of the 2 layer. This is just what I ended up using:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... R2921F-17S

The small caps on hi filter are 330pf and 150pf

Any appropriated rated resistor can be used on the power tube (screen grid resistors), not just Xicon.

On the power board, those are rectifiers for the B+ and the bias. They convert AC voltage into DC voltage.

I'm not trying to be harsh (because I've certainly been there), but based on your questions, I would say that you'll need to study up on your electronics/amp theory a bit before trying to build this otherwise you are going to be pretty frustrated. If you do "paint-by-number" on this or other complex amps like Dumbles, I think you stand a good chance of being disappointed with the end result. You may want to get an experienced builder to tackle something like this for you.
stratpaulguy86

Post by stratpaulguy86 »

I friggin' love the look and sound of your amp. Great job sir! Someday when funds allow I'd like to build a SSS/Odyssey hybrid similar to what EJ used back in the '80s...hopefully in the near future there will be more information available to allow such a build. Thanks for a known working and updated SSS schematic!!! Not to derail, but does anyone have any experience with the Odyssey or how to modify the SSS power section to be closer to the Odyssey? Thanks!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I wired this up a while back

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=odyssey

It might start you off in the right direction.
stratpaulguy86

Post by stratpaulguy86 »

Thanks Aaron! How do you like it? I hear it's a big clean poweramp with a smooth glassy tone, similar to the SSS. The rumor was that EJ used his Odyssey because the power of his SSS was too great for some venues and ended up preferring the sound. I wonder if he shouldn't have just asked HAD to build him a 100w SSS instead lol.