My take on an SSS

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pinkphiloyd

Re: My take on an SSS

Post by pinkphiloyd »

Alright. At the risk of looking like a complete idiot...

I've got a lot going on. Mainly I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to build next. But I've been messing around with J-schem. Drawing up some stuff I've built in the past, some of my own ideas, etc.

As part of figuring out what I want to do next (and learning, of course, always trying to learn something) I've also taken a stab at trying to trace out a few layouts.

I love all the clips I've heard of your amp, so I decided to make your layout one of the things I'd attempt to trace. The attachment is what the very first section looks like to me. I'm not at all suggesting there's an error in your layout. At all. In any way. But I've never seen a tone stack like this. I've stated before, though, that tone stacks are by far my weakest area. So, I suspect what's happened here is:

1.) I have either gone crosseyed and mixed up my wire colors somewhere and as a result I've come up with something weird.

or

2.) I'm getting lost in the switches.

Anybody care to help me out here? Mr. Hartman?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pinkphiloyd

Post by pinkphiloyd »

I suspect it's more like this, and that I'm just looking at the layout incorrectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

one thing about the above layout is the negative feedback there isn't a god way of doing it because if that cap falls... there's plate voltage put on you guitar cord
other than that, the second one looks more correct
mrdarwin

Post by mrdarwin »

What about the rear "On Off On" switch?
Lennaert

Post by Lennaert »

what kind of inductor do u use?

how many mA?
I reckon you have the standby switch connect to a choke then to pin6 and back to the filterboard...

Nice amp..

two things look confusing...the leads on the reverb 6-4 and 3-2 look like they're also connected to ground and the .02 cap connected to the volume isn't connected to anything (purple wire)
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

Lennaert wrote:what kind of inductor do u use?

how many mA?
I reckon you have the standby switch connect to a choke then to pin6 and back to the filterboard...

Nice amp..

two things look confusing...the leads on the reverb 6-4 and 3-2 look like they're also connected to ground and the .02 cap connected to the volume isn't connected to anything (purple wire)
It's been discussed and analyzed in other threads and it's been determined that the inductor does absolutely nothing.

Those purple wires you are asking about that appear to go nowhere are actually just the shields of the the shielded (green) wire used in those positions to eliminate possible noise. The typical method in an amp is to ground the shield on one end.

I just built this amp from this layout (out of a different amp so it does have a few little changes), and it does seem to work well. There are a couple little missing wire connections in the layout that are quite obvious if you think about it...

a) The black wire on the positive side of the 10uF cap (or the negative end of the pair of 220uF caps) should be connected to chassis ground.

b) In the middle of the preamp board there is an orange wire connected to a cap and resister that is grounded on the other end. This should be connected to the cathodes of V3 right below it that has the yellow wire going between the cathode pins.

c) Don't just translate the wires coming off the board to the TMB controls according to their colours. That is totally wrong. The green wire off of the 360pF cap becomes the red wire going to the treble control. The red wire coming off of the 0.1uF cap becomes the blue wire going to the bass pot. The purple wire coming off of the 0.047uF cap becomes the green wire going to the mid pot.

I think that was all the potentially confusing stuff I noticed.

I have other things like the fact that the highest high filter setting is too muffled but the second highest setting is potentially too bright. I'm tempted to try another value like 68pF between them to make it more useful. But that may just be a thing about mine....
Sungjin Lee

Post by Sungjin Lee »

ukulele wrote:Just wanted to say thank you for the layout, I made my SSS clone according to it and it works great. I used Hammond power transformer and Magnetic Components OT.
could u tell me about transformer detail?
n where u buy that..??
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

What would happen if I put the High/Low filters before V1b? In my project the dry signal goes from tonestack to V1b and the reverb signal goes from tonestack to V2a, and therefore the only way to have the filter affecting both would be to have before V1b.

Alternatively I may decide to compromise and add it after V1b but then knowing that the filters are only affecting the dry signal

Thanks a lot
larsvictor

Post by larsvictor »

With passive tone controls in a circuit there´s a loss in signal and with two RC networks in series without a recovery gain stage between them there might be too much insertion loss.
The published circuit for SSS #002 has one recovery gain stage following every "tone stack" and for the reverb it has even two.

Lars
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Where is the associated schematic for this layout?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

dorrisant wrote:Where is the associated schematic for this layout?
I don't think there is one
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

I was too lazy to make one. If someone wants to write it up, that would be very cool. This amp was a few years ago, I'm on to other ideas these days.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

I was too lazy to make one. If someone wants to write it up, that would be very cool. This amp was a few years ago, I'm on to other ideas these days.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I was hopeful... Some of the comments on page 3 were referring to a schematic. I was just wondering if there was a schematic in another post they were referring to.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
drew

Post by drew »

Put 10thTx on the case. Man dreams in ExpressSCH.