My take on an SSS

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mhartman

Re: My take on an SSS

Post by mhartman »

I appreciate it guys. It was a fun build. As I mentioned, I took bits and pieces from everywhere that I could find them and then came up with this "coat of many colors" SSS. I've never played a real Dumble SSS, so I'm not sure how close I am, but I am happy with the sound -- and I'm sure it will get even better with experimenting (not to mention I'll learn a bunch).
trane34 wrote:Looks great. Sounds like a smooth juicy twin. How do you like the filters and reverb?
I really like the reverb circuit. It is smoother than a Fender reverb. With the filters in position 1, you get the most straight signal coming through, so the reverb is somewhat subtle, but when you kick on the filters, especially in the higher positions, you get some really deep reverb. The filters are great. I commented a long time ago that I didn't care for the filters, but now that I've built them and used them, I find them really useful. You can go from slight tone shaping to extreme change of tone. They really add flexibility to the amp.
RB wrote:Thanks so much for sharing.

I am pleased to see that you didn't let your last experience here run you off.

Your work is of a very high level and is a pleasure to see.

The short period of time your JM build was up sparked interest in that amp for me and I built one using the one gut shot I was able to download as a guide.

I would like to know what the chassis dimensions are for this SSS derived beast.

Regards
Randy
Thanks Randy. It was my bad on the previous post about my JM. I shouldn't have posted it if I couldn't go into detail about it. Lesson learned. I appreciate the compliment. My work is still just ok (this was my 5th build) -- did you see that Manzamp that ic-racer did? That is a real work of art! Also, dreric's SSS002 is gorgeous -- I can't wait for that one to come to life. I'd love to see a pic of your JM build. [edit: all that and I forgot to answer your question -- the chassis is 24"x8"x2.5". I got it from DDawg and did all the drilling and cutting myself.]

By the way, the inductor that I used is .5HY. I found it on ebay. On 001, HAD used a .3HY and on 002, he used a .9HY (I might have them backwards), I figured that this was a good compromise. I have yet to short it to see if the inductor actually makes any difference (simulations reportedly say it doesn't)-- that experiment is on the to-do list. Also, I'm going to try to run 2 in series to see if 1HY makes any difference.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Sound great, exceptional build.
alvarezh

Post by alvarezh »

Very sweet sounding. Looks like a HAD built specimen except……your's prettier! :wink:

Enjoy.
Horacio

Play in tune and B#!
dreric

Post by dreric »

mhartman

First congratulations on your build, it looks great and better yet....... IT WORKS!

I'm jealous........ also frustrated because time has been in short supply so I haven't debugged my build yet. I'm pretty sure I know where the problem is and I can't wait to get a few hours to break it down.

Did you follow the SSS 2 schematic? if not which?

Lastly, I'd to personally commend you for turning the other cheek and showing up with a great contribution. IMO, you got a rank response to your previous build (which was great).

All the best

Eric
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.
dreric wrote: Did you follow the SSS 2 schematic? if not which?
I followed parts of SSS2. Right now, I've got the filter section setup like 02 and the PI/CF and power tube section is also 02. As an FYI, I tried 3k3/1K on the power tubes (like your initial build) and it worked fine, so I don't think that that is your problem. One thing to try on yours is going by the schem for the bias section -- (i.e., bypass your bias pot so you get the full negative voltage going to the 220k CF resistors. Then adjust your power tube bias with the 130k resistor going to ground in the PI). That worked for me to get the CF and power tubes working correctly. I'd be happy to work with you on it if I can help.
AtomCap

re

Post by AtomCap »

epic build sir...
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

Very cool. This must've been an enormous amount of work. Fantastic job! :D

-Aaron
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Beautiful build, to be sure! Great tone as well.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Dr d

Post by Dr d »

Great work! So pleased you came back!!!!!
rp

Post by rp »

One of the best builds I've ever seen, one of the few clones I'd buy. Congrats to you and Taylor.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Wow! Double Wow!

That sounds fantastic. What a sweet sounding amp! Looks fantastic too.

Very impressive. Formerly, I was never particularly interested in the Steel String Singer amp. That has all changed now. Thanks! 8)
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

NickC wrote:Wow! Double Wow!

Very impressive. Formerly, I was never particularly interested in the Steel String Singer amp. That has all changed now. Thanks! 8)
+1!
I'm starting to play pedal steel and suspect that this, or some derivative, might make a really nice amp for that application. Not quite ready to go the Peavey route yet.

Hats off to you Mr. Hartman!
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
NickC

Post by NickC »

crbowman wrote:
NickC wrote:Wow! Double Wow!

+1!
I'm starting to play pedal steel and suspect that this, or some derivative, might make a really nice amp for that application. Not quite ready to go the Peavey route yet.

Hats off to you Mr. Hartman!

Last weekend I was channel surfing on the TV. There was a tribute concert in honor of Levon Helm. Robert Randolph and Joe Walsh were two of the celebrities that performed together. I noticed that Robert Randolph had a Steel String Singer set up behind him and his steel-guitar. It sure sounded great in that application.
briane

Post by briane »

awesome - thanks so much for your research, contribution, and layout.

:o
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Fantastic work
Congrats and a big thanks.
Appreciate the knowledge sharing.

Darin