Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jelle

Dumbleland for sale

Post by jelle »

xtian

Re: Dumbleland for sale

Post by xtian »

K, fine. Chris can afford two. Anyone sings like that in my house gets a foot hard in the nards.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Nice they put in that one pic that shows a 12BH7. So at 300 watts, I assume the PA is close to an Ampeg SVT.

Preamp maybe the clean side of an ODS, with the filters from the SSS.

The speaker cab is interesting. Looks like a 4x12. The top two speakers have an oval cutout, I wonder if the bottom two do also. What's strange is that there are two pictures with a 2x12.

Wait. The 2x12 has the oval cutout. The 4x12 is closed back (pic 4).

I'd click on the video, but then I'd have to listen to Cross sing.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

So how does a music store in Moorseville, NC end up with CC's Dumble?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Baa a suede 412!! So cool. That's a cool amp. I'll probably try to get the exact same amp for a fraction of the price on eBay after it sells. The best things come....
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
da Geezer

Post by da Geezer »

LeftyStrat wrote:So how does a music store in Moorseville, NC end up with CC's Dumble?
No kidding....Did you look at their stock list??

They have about 30 Zemaitis, several Malmsteen owned Strats, K & M "two rock" serial #1, a Pete Townsend owned Les Paul, 1 each of '58/'59/’60 bursts...all kinds of wild stuff
Last edited by da Geezer on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

$125,000 is a bargain for the head and cab.

Seeing they sold SSS #002 head only for the same price.
Max

Post by Max »

LeftyStrat wrote:the PA is close to an Ampeg SVT
IMO at least not exactly, because AFAIK a 12AU7 isn't a part of the tube compliment of an old SVT power amp but it's a part of the tube compliment of the power amp of a Dumbleland 300SL: http://web.archive.org/web/200801210049 ... 300sl.html
LeftyStrat wrote:Preamp maybe the clean side of an ODS, with the filters from the SSS.

Based on all the known differences between the preamps of SSS #001,#002, #003, and #004 and keeping in mind that e.g. according to the tube compliment in the data sheet of the later versions of the 150W SSSs these again seem to have different preamps, too, then IMO assumptions and speculations like this one don't make much sense in regard to the circuit specifications of one of the custom made Dumblelands.

"With the filters" is of course obvious from the pictures (and with reverb of course, too). But as we know you'll find rather different versions of filter and reverb circuits in SSSs (just count the number of preamp tubes on the pictures and in the schematics and layouts of SSS #001, #002 etc. and compare it e.g. with the number of preamp tubes in the tube compliment of the Dumbleland 300SL (see the link above) or in the tube compliment of one version of the later SSS 150W amps (4 x 7025 high-mu twin triodes,1 x 5751 high-mu twin triode, 4 x 6550A beam power tubes). BTW: It seems, that the Dumbleland 300SL offered in this add doesn't have the FET input shown in the Dumbleland 300SL data sheet. I've attached a picture of the front of a Dumbleland 300SL with an FET input.
LeftyStrat wrote:The top two speakers have an oval cutout
IMO the picture showing an oval cutout is a picture of the back of the 2x12" cabinet and not a picture of the back of the 4x12" cabinet.

Cheers,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Some of the pictures show a red pilot light, with the preamp toggle switches red, and then (presumably later pictures) with a green LED and green covers on the switches.

Maybe the circuit of this amp was updated sometime(s) during its life? It says it was always serviced by HAD...

-Dan
Max

Post by Max »

dbharris wrote:Some of the pictures show a red pilot light, with the preamp toggle switches red, and then (presumably later pictures) with a green LED and green covers on the switches.
These are pictures of two different Dumbleland 300SL amps built for Christopher Cross: One with a red pilot light and red EQ-switches pictured on top of a 4x12" cabinet and one with a green pilot light and green EQ-switches on top of a 2x12" cabinet. In the video you see both amps on stage. Pay one, get two? :D

Cheers,

Max
Traviswalk

Post by Traviswalk »

Wow, I've always loved those amps! Too bad the gear fund is depleted...
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

...Anyone sings like that in my house gets a foot hard in the nards.
Thanks, that made my morning. rofl Stay smooth...skiddelydiddelybop
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Max wrote:
dbharris wrote:Some of the pictures show a red pilot light, with the preamp toggle switches red, and then (presumably later pictures) with a green LED and green covers on the switches.
These are pictures of two different Dumbleland 300SL amps built for Christopher Cross: One with a red pilot light and red EQ-switches pictured on top of a 4x12" cabinet and one with a green pilot light and green EQ-switches on top of a 2x12" cabinet. In the video you see both amps on stage. Pay one, get two? :D

Cheers,

Max
Good catch Max, thanks. And, yes that would be quite the deal!
Mikeroesoft

Post by Mikeroesoft »

300w and a 4x12 w/ EV's.....the ultimate grab n' go.

Did anyone else notice the size of the iron in pic #4!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here are some photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.