Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skirider

A question for SSS Builders!

Post by skirider »

Hi!
Iam Rafa from spain.

Fist of all, Sorry for my low english level.

I read lot of post about SSS, and I want to build one of them.

With the past of the years I played with lot of amps, ( Marshall, peavey,soldano, Mesa boogie, and now Custom audio.).

I've realized that I just need a simple clean channel (Gain, Eq control ,level and sometimes "precense")
I play with lot of guitar pedals and only needs that.

My Question for you is if it is posible delete the Filters selectors and reverb, and put a Effect loop.

I want to start this project as soon as posible.

And I am going to open a post with this construccion. ( if anyone wants to accompany me in the cosntruccion, he will be welcome)

THANKS!!!
mhartman

Re: A question for SSS Builders!

Post by mhartman »

You could definitely do that, but you would lose some of what makes an SSS an SSS. You could just do the clean side of a dumble (maybe a low plate 124) with the cathode-follower style PI and you would have what you are looking for. It wouldn't be an SSS per se, but it would be SSS-like. If you needed a buffered loop, you could build in a dumbleator.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

mhartman wrote:You could definitely do that, but you would lose some of what makes an SSS an SSS. You could just do the clean side of a dumble (maybe a low plate 124) with the cathode-follower style PI and you would have what you are looking for. It wouldn't be an SSS per se, but it would be SSS-like. If you needed a buffered loop, you could build in a dumbleator.
Thats exactly what my CF test circuit is; a classic TS, no filters or verb aka a Small Special with a mid control and CF PI.

TM
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

ToneMerc wrote:
mhartman wrote:You could definitely do that, but you would lose some of what makes an SSS an SSS. You could just do the clean side of a dumble (maybe a low plate 124) with the cathode-follower style PI and you would have what you are looking for. It wouldn't be an SSS per se, but it would be SSS-like. If you needed a buffered loop, you could build in a dumbleator.
Thats exactly what my CF test circuit is; a classic TS, no filters or verb aka a Small Special with a mid control and CF PI.

TM
That sounds pretty cool. I've been thinking about doing that. Did you wire in the filter circuit (hard wired to a certain position) or just go straight from pre to MV?
skirider

Post by skirider »

where can i see thats amp you say? thanks!
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

skirider wrote:where can i see thats amp you say? thanks!
Sorry, I don't have a layout or schematic.

TM
Bear

Post by Bear »

Thread resurrection out of interest for ToneMerc's test platform.

I'm plotting out something similar for a steel chassis precut for three noval holes and two octals. I want a clean-ish pedal platform that can still do some preamp grind with a loop for rack effects. A Dumbleator is usually recommend for rack effects, and usually as an outboard. I'm figuring I can build the Dumbleator with the SSS filters as well to get closer to the full SSS experience when it's in line with the extra buffer and follower stages.

But I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much from the "Small Special plus CF" configuration--is it worth the extra effort over a normal PI? Just suck it up and build an SSS, even if I don't need the reverb?