My SSS 001 As Built, Corrected Schematics

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ElectronAvalanche

Re: My SSS 001 As Built, Corrected Schematics

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

Hi markusw,

did you do the simulation with different inductor values, e.g. 0.32H as opposed to the 0.65H. Would you think that the value of the inductor will have an effect on the Treble Filter response?

Electron
markusw

Post by markusw »

ElectronAvalanche wrote:Hi markusw,

did you do the simulation with different inductor values, e.g. 0.32H as opposed to the 0.65H. Would you think that the value of the inductor will have an effect on the Treble Filter response?

Electron
On the previous page I had the inductor set to 900 mH.
With 150k there is no difference between 320, 650 and 900 mH.
With 15 there is a slight difference.
In the chart below I stepped the inductor (320, 650 and 900 mH) with the high filter caps 360p and 20n.
With 360p the treble content slightly decreases with increasing inductance, with 20n the treble content increases with increasing inductance.
Don't ask me why :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ElectronAvalanche

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

Thanks!

All in all can it be assumed that the 150k is not correct since there really is not much effect out of the treble filter. Can somebody chime in who has built a SS how effective the filter (treble) is?

Electron

markusw wrote:
ElectronAvalanche wrote:Hi markusw,

Electron
On the previous page I had the inductor set to 900 mH.
With 150k there is no difference between 320, 650 and 900 mH.
With 15 there is a slight difference.
In the chart below I stepped the inductor (320, 650 and 900 mH) with the high filter caps 360p and 20n.
With 360p the treble content slightly decreases with increasing inductance, with 20n the treble content increases with increasing inductance.
Don't ask me why :lol:
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

ElectronAvalanche wrote:Thanks!

All in all can it be assumed that the 150k is not correct since there really is not much effect out of the treble filter. Can somebody chime in who has built a SS how effective the filter (treble) is?

Electron
It is pretty substantial with the SSS02 type setup. You definitely notice at at every click and full "on" and full "off" make a pretty big difference.
Max

Post by Max »

wjdunham wrote: ... #001 and #002 are basically the same amp with the exception that #001 has the Tremolo and #002 does not. Mixer circuit, filters, power amp etc... are all the same as are the layouts.
According to the attached pictures of SSS #002 - once posted somewhere in the internet - and according to the attached picture of SSS #001 - once posted here by some member - the layouts of SSS #001 and SSS #002 seem to be rather different - at least for my eyes.

And according to the attached picture of #001 and the attached schematic of #002 – once posted here by some member – at least the tone stacks seem to be different, too. Just notice the size of the treble pot of #001 and the two caps located at the terminals of the bass pot of #001.
ElectronAvalanche wrote:Can somebody chime in who has built a SS how effective the filter (treble) is?
In my personal perception there's always a rather obvious difference in tone when changing the filter-positions (treble-filter) of the original Dumbleland and SSS amps with filters I played up to know.

Cheers,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcinku

Post by mcinku »

I just want to share this with you. :wink:
[img:698:1049]http://shrani.si/f/3u/zg/4QW48nPK/1/sss1.jpg[/img]
[img:1297:456]http://shrani.si/f/1H/fb/38znvg7e/sss3.jpg[/img]
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Nice!!
NickC

Post by NickC »

Beautious! 8)
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

*deleted*
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

*deleted*
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I was checking the gut shot of #01 posted by Max (above) and noticed that HAD added some goop between orange drops that were physically leaning against each other. Is there any reasoning for this? ARe there any issues if caps or resistors are physically in contact with each other in certain parts of the circuit?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I'd wager best guess is to stop vibrations causing the leads to break, the glue holds the caps to the board and each other. He did this on the big elytics in other amps I've seen as well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 pm I'd wager best guess is to stop vibrations causing the leads to break, the glue holds the caps to the board and each other. He did this on the big elytics in other amps I've seen as well.

~Phil
Thanks Phil, your explanation makes sense.