My SSS 001 As Built, Corrected Schematics

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

David Root

Re: My SSS 001 As Built, Corrected Schematics

Post by David Root »

I like the attention to detail--pot location tab holes is good! Is it steel or aluminum?
mcinku

Post by mcinku »

I'm using steel chassis... steel is much stronger and so far I can't tell the difference between steel or aluminum... tone or noise wise.
mcinku

Post by mcinku »

I just updated my layout... I fixed all the errors I found so far and I added the filtering part as well. This is the way I'm going to built it.

Progress of my build is a bit slow as I'm still missing some parts... such as OT for example :roll: ... but at least I decided on the PT which I'm going to use. This choice will require to play with my B+ voltages, so I guess what is in the layout is not my final version.

PS: There could still be some errors in the layout.
:wink:
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Hey Mirc,
Good progress. Your 102 build still sounds great here :)

Why did you decide on 01 and not 02?
Anyone else chiming in with the tonal differences explanation - more than welcome :)
I am gearing towards 02 build after the small special and have Edcor PT and OT on the way.
Niki
mcinku

Post by mcinku »

Hi Niki,
well I can't tell you the difference between 01 and 02... as this is my first SSS ever. I decided to go with 01 cause I never played an amp with driver stage in the PI section. I can't wait to hear how this amp sounds like.

:wink:
NickC

Post by NickC »

Greetings David,

Thanks for the schems and build log. Fantastic!

Just for the sake of perfection, check the nomenclature on tube V7 (6L6BC) on the schem.

Very cool of you to show the way forward on the SSS! 8)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

David, quick question. On your schematic the LNFB resistor on V1 is 100k, but on the SSS 002 schematic it has 1meg. Did you try the 1meg first and didn't like it? Or is 100k the correct value?
Cheers,
Aaron
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I wondered the same thing and tried it. Interestingly, the 100-k/1-Meg is not a massive difference (it's fb returning to a very small resistor under the cathode R/c network. It's a db at best (at 1-Khz reference). It does however, seem to smooth the leading note edge a little bit.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Aaron, I used Bill Dunham's #001 schematic, which is 100K back to V1. Interestingly, the FB resistor back to V2 is 470K, so HAD presumably figured there was a difference? OTOH the cap on the two FB lines are different so maybe it was more in the nature of a frequency roll-off?

Nick, yes that should be 6L6GC.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

There is certainly a different feel and response (particularly on the leading edge of the note) from 1-M to 470-K to 100-K. It depends on what you want the amp to sound and feel like.I'm doing something similar in my Jazz amp front end. I tried it and liked it, so I kept it. The attack just seems to round off a bit, if that makes any sense ? Not a gigantic gain difference fwiw.
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

David Root wrote:Aaron, I used Bill Dunham's #001 schematic, which is 100K back to V1. Interestingly, the FB resistor back to V2 is 470K, so HAD presumably figured there was a difference? OTOH the cap on the two FB lines are different so maybe it was more in the nature of a frequency roll-off?

FWIW I've been using 1M in my #002 builds, loosens up the feel just a little bit when you start to push the preamp gain. I just felt it was a little tight with the feedback 100K resistor, but very subtle difference as Andy and others point out.

Bill

www.sebagosound.com
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

wjdunham wrote:
David Root wrote:Aaron, I used Bill Dunham's #001 schematic, which is 100K back to V1. Interestingly, the FB resistor back to V2 is 470K, so HAD presumably figured there was a difference? OTOH the cap on the two FB lines are different so maybe it was more in the nature of a frequency roll-off?

FWIW I've been using 1M in my #002 builds, loosens up the feel just a little bit when you start to push the preamp gain. I just felt it was a little tight with the feedback 100K resistor, but very subtle difference as Andy and others point out.

Bill www.sebagosound.com
Well, in my case, I'm driving a solid state power stage in an "always clean" amp platform, so smoothing the attack and maintaining a tube feel was important. I added the provisions to the board figuring wtf. I tried with and without, and liked it with, as did the players who test drove it.
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote:
wjdunham wrote:

Bill www.sebagosound.com

Well, in my case, I'm driving a solid state power stage in an "always clean" amp platform, so smoothing the attack and maintaining a tube feel was important. I added the provisions to the board figuring wtf. I tried with and without, and liked it with, as did the players who test drove it.
Ah, very interesting Andy. I have thought about trying something similar with a solid state power amp but never go around to it. Put a Dumbloid pedal front end into a solid state power amp and you have your $500 solid state ODS !!!
In this case was trying to make the amp a little less clean :-) Trying to get the feel of a cranked BF Fender at a more reasonable volume, which I feel is the hallmark of a good SSS.

Bill

www.sebagosound.com
mcinku

Post by mcinku »

I finished the amp but still have to find the time to fine tune the B+ voltages and finally test how this amp sounds like.
Here are some photos of the build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Very nice looking build.

Wondering about the step filters resistors and caps going directly to ground buss?