just a few props!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

just a few props!

Post by dragonbat13 »

Of all the projects such as 18watt, brownsound, t-wreck, and Leo himself, Dumble shows the difference between the men and the boys. I can understand why his original amps are gold mines. For a beginner there is alot of complicated stuff to figure out compared to the rest. A heavy duty amp with just the right amount of everything is a guitarists' holy grail. They are truly unique. If you agree or disagree please post!
groovtubin

Re: just a few props!

Post by groovtubin »

dragonbat13 wrote:Of all the projects such as 18watt, brownsound, t-wreck, and Leo himself, Dumble shows the difference between the men and the boys. I can understand why his original amps are gold mines. For a beginner there is alot of complicated stuff to figure out compared to the rest. A heavy duty amp with just the right amount of everything is a guitarists' holy grail. They are truly unique. If you agree or disagree please post!
ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!! I will go on record to say that he is a GENIUS, DID IT FIRST, and THAT IS THAT!! All the rest of us do is chase it which is GOOD, the guys so far who have HAD the real thing( Andy Fuchs, 2 rock, Dunble, etc) have gone on to make their FORTUNES...I say God bless Alexander Howard Dumble to the MAX...for he has surely blessed us with his talent!! Jim Price@ Omegaamps.com
GatesofDawn67

Don't Completely Agree

Post by GatesofDawn67 »

I believe that Mat Mathias of Matamp was the first to:

1) Use voltage feedback around a single triode stage (like the Dumble stage with the 22M resistors)

2) Use a pot on the long tail pair to get the right ratio on the plate resistors.

What is unique about Dumble:

1) The "snubber" caps

2) The Skyline EQ
GatesofDawn67

Don't Completely Agree

Post by GatesofDawn67 »

I believe that Mat Mathias of Matamp was the first to:

1) Use voltage feedback around a single triode stage (like the Dumble stage with the 22M resistors)

2) Use a pot on the long tail pair to get the right ratio on the plate resistors.

What is unique about Dumble:

1) The "snubber" caps

2) The Skyline EQ
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Dumble seems to have an understanding of the entire circuit and how each factor controls the tone. I think his gift is his ear, and connecting that ear to the circuit.

As an example, I recently helped out a forumite in tweaking his amp. It was ok at low volumes but very mushy as you cranked it up. I noticed he'd used more Soldano type lead dress where the lead arc off the top of the board, instead of the Dumble style, down to the chassis type. I moved several leads based on Dumble pics and the difference was amazing.

Apparently Dumble knows not only what the components do, but also where to place the leads for best tone.

Dumble, at about the same time as Mesa was building OD style amps, placed the OD stages AFTER the preamp as opposed to Mesa who added stages in front of the standard preamp. To my ears Dumble is far smoother and has a nicer grain to the tone.

Too bad that he seems to be a unique charactor though. Wouldn't it have been nicer if he'd been more open to say.. designing an amp for another company to mass produce.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Bob-I wrote:Dumble seems to have an understanding of the entire circuit and how each factor controls the tone. I think his gift is his ear, and connecting that ear to the circuit.

As an example, I recently helped out a forumite in tweaking his amp. It was ok at low volumes but very mushy as you cranked it up. I noticed he'd used more Soldano type lead dress where the lead arc off the top of the board, instead of the Dumble style, down to the chassis type. I moved several leads based on Dumble pics and the difference was amazing.

Apparently Dumble knows not only what the components do, but also where to place the leads for best tone.

Dumble, at about the same time as Mesa was building OD style amps, placed the OD stages AFTER the preamp as opposed to Mesa who added stages in front of the standard preamp. To my ears Dumble is far smoother and has a nicer grain to the tone.

Too bad that he seems to be a unique charactor though. Wouldn't it have been nicer if he'd been more open to say.. designing an amp for another company to mass produce.
couldn`t have been said better, or nicer! Good job Bob!

jim@Omegaamps
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

i like a guy who is not afraid to be true to himself...and can play...:roll:

His amps are complicated but...:oops:

One of Leo's son... 8)

Louis